Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Launch is Imminent

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can find options on many cars. Apparently not Teslas.
ok, if offered without options, Tesla should provide stalks and a real steering wheel.

happy now?
I believe that they do now on the S and Xbut they never even offered it on the 3 or Y.
Brilliant innovators make mistakes but learn from them. Bad one's don't.
From what I can tell Von Holzhausen is a brilliant innovator. We certainly know that Straubel is.
Now, I'm happier

I believe that they do now on the S and Xbut they never even offered it on the 3 or Y.
Brilliant innovators make mistakes but learn from them. Bad one's don't.
From what I can tell Von Holzhausen is a brilliant innovator. We certainly know that Straubel is.
Now, I'm happier
There are no options for stalks on the Highland 3, S, or X and likely not on the CT.

They do have wheel/yoke options, but we don't know if they will on the CT.

Too bad about lack of stalks on the Highland 3. I'm not getting into speculation on the CT.
I hope some sanity returns.
It's logical they won't. Not one CT has had stalks, they removed them from the 3 and we know the S/X haven't had them since the refresh.

It's a move that Tesla is pushing to all cars, including the Semi. The Y will be next.

Aside from ground clearance, it didn't climb that any better than a run of the mill commuter car would. A little common sense would suggest off-road tires or at least lowering tire pressure. With the way the wheels were spinning from brief throttle input it didn't seem to be running in an off-road mode (maybe planned for future development?). It didn't even seem to sufficiently coordinate power from spinning wheels to those not spinning. It looks like they still have lots of refinement work ahead.

I suspect there will be a load of reservations skipping the first model year CT.

Last edited:
Launch coming in 19 days!
Screenshot_20231111_153048_Chrome.jpg

Aside from ground clearance, it didn't climb that any better than a run of the mill commuter car would
It’s not like this was a dominant performance at all, but this is not as easy an obstacle as this angle might suggest.

A better angle would have helped people understand what is going on here.

This isn’t too difficult an obstacle for 4Runners, Jeeps, GX, etc. but those are all pretty capable. But they don’t just demolish it. (They do better than the Cybertruck did in this case, usually.)

Anyway, my point: I don’t think you’ll see many 2WD vehicles managing it, regardless of ground clearance. The steps are steep! You can see at 3:00 they cropped out a fail from the GX (wonder whether he was in 4LO or not, I assume so, but seems he needed a run at it, or he was not using all the assists that vehicle offers). Maybe I’m wrong, but looks like a tough obstacle if you don’t have a couple wheels with traction.

Gravity. Battery weight keeps the CT from climbing like a goat.
The steeper the angle...
With the type of off-roading that most people do, the more important thing is that the truck be able to slam the underbody on one of those rocks and have it not be a bad day. That is definitely going to happen a lot, so incidental rock strikes must be a non issue, unlike with all Teslas to date. Plenty of height to allocate a bit of buffer space for this purpose. Could even reduce ground clearance and add buffer.