Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Launch is Imminent

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’d be happy if the bed is rated to haul 330-440lbs for my needs. 10 33lb spools of welding wire to 10 44lb spools of welding wire. I often have to haul such loads to customers in “emergencies”, while they wait for their multiple thousands of pounds they ordered but Lincoln or ESAB cannot ship on time…double that capacity would be nice too. The Model Y does it, but I split the load up between the frunk and rear of the vehicle, it’s really not meant to do this, but it does. It would be nice to toss it all in the bed and call it a day. Again, not everyday, but enough where it’s annoying. Same with machines, I’d rather toss a dirty Hypertherm PMX85 in the bed rather than in the back of a Y.

Truck buyers care about payload, towing, off-road capability, durability, and a comfortable up to date cabin. I could really care less about "high performance" in a truck. Either it will come to market meeting those capabilities, or it will just be a "lifestyle" vehicle limited to the fanboys. I do agree that Tesla has the burden to prove
You would think this is the case, however non-business/fleet pickup trucks spend time 1% of their time off-roading, towing, or carrying a payload larger than what a sedan could carry.

You would think this is the case, however non-business/fleet pickup trucks spend time 1% of their time off-roading, towing, or carrying a payload larger than what a sedan could carry.
There's been lots of statements pontificating like this by folks who don't own a truck. Yes, the time spent off-road, towing, and hauling may be a lesser percentage than the over-all use, especially when it's your one vehicle. That however doesn't negate the need for that capability, which is why someone buys a truck.
For example: I'm normally off road to some extent once or twice a week. Those miles are low compared to the overall miles I put on. That doesn't mean I don't benefit from having, or need that capability. A truck is all about utility.

There's been lots of statements pontificating like this by folks who don't own a truck. Yes, the time spent off-road, towing, and hauling may be a lesser percentage than the over-all use, especially when it's your one vehicle. That however doesn't negate the need for that capability, which is why someone buys a truck.
For example: I'm normally off road to some extent once or twice a week. Those miles are low compared to the overall miles I put on. That doesn't mean I don't benefit from having, or need that capability. A truck is all about utility.

Except the known #s aren't "only does it a couple times a week"

It's "does it zero or at most 1 time a year" for stuff like towing or offroading.

The people who do that don't need a truck, they need a cowboy costume. But they buy the truck anyway.

And that's like 70-75 percent of truck owners

Specifically:

75 percent of truck owners use their truck for towing one time a year or less (meaning, never). Nearly 70 percent of truck owners go off-road one time a year or less

The source on all this has been posted, and discussed, multiple times earlier in the thread if you missed it.

Heck 35% of truck owners put something in the bed of the thing 1 time a year or less. Why'd they buy a truck at all? WHO KNOWS.

So I suppose them THINKING they do, even though they provably don't, is why they "care" about these capabilities even though most don't actually use them. That's a reasonable (if depressing reality about human self delusion) line of thinking-- but at least understand it's catering to imaginary, not real, needs for most such buyers.

It's not unlike the NEEDS SUPER LONG RANGE AND 5 MINTUE RECHARGING arguments.

The vast majority of drivers need those 0 or close to 0 times a year. Folks easily crossed the country, multiple times, in Teslas with 200-250 miles of range and taking 30+ minutes for a good supercharge... Today they're >300 for most models and 10-15 minutes puts 150-200 miles back on but you still have folks going "I'll wait for 500 miles of range and same-as-gas refueling" while they waste far MORE of their time weekly at gas stations than they'd ever spend at a supercharger on the one road trip a year they take.

Last edited:

It's "does it zero or at most 1 time a year" for stuff like towing or offroading.

The people who do that don't need a truck, they need a cowboy costume. But they buy the truck anyway.

Specifically:

The source on all this has been posted, and discussed, multiple times earlier in the thread if you missed it.

Heck 35% of truck owners put something in the bed of the thing 1 time a year or less. Why'd they buy a truck at all? WHO KNOWS.

So I suppose them THINKING they do, even though they provably don't, is why they "care" about these capabilities even though most don't actually use them. That's a reasonable (if depressing reality about human self delusion) line of thinking-- but at least understand it's catering to imaginary, not real, needs for most such buyers.

The vast majority of drivers need those 0 or close to 0 times a year. Folks easily crossed the country, multiple times, in Teslas with 200-250 miles of range and taking 30+ minutes for a good supercharge... Today they're >300 for most models and 10-15 minutes puts 150-200 miles back on but you still have folks going "I'll wait for 500 miles of range and same-as-gas refueling" while they waste far MORE of their time weekly at gas stations than they'd ever spend at a supercharger on the one road trip a year they take.

Exactly. And we can almost be certain that it will be a very poor tow vehicle for anything but short distances. Even supercharging with a trailer is awful because most superchargers are at the back of a parking spot, and there are very few pull through chargers.

Hardcore truck users isn't the market that Tesla is going for.

You can speculate, but you can’t be certain.

While we're speculating, I'm surprised that no one has yet raised the possibility that Tesla has incorporated tech from the Semi into the Cybertruck. They literally went to the effort of designing a system capable of hauling heavy loads at peak efficiency by dynamically engaging different motors. So you could get your load up to highway speeds with two/three motors, and then disengage all but one and cruise efficiently:

• Helpful
Reactions: navguy12
While we're speculating, I'm surprised that no one has yet raised the possibility that Tesla has incorporated tech from the Semi into the Cybertruck. They literally went to the effort of designing a system capable of hauling heavy loads at peak efficiency by dynamically engaging different motors. So you could get your load up to highway speeds with two/three motors, and then disengage all but one and cruise efficiently:

They put Cybertruck inverters into the Semi, but I can't see them taking on the weight penalty and AWD performance hit of the Semi clutch system. Part of its feasibility is that it's on the paired rear axles and one axle can do most of the work, just at a lower power levels.
Clutching the front on Cybertruck would hurt stability control performance and traction, along with regen.

I agree with all of that- and am especially intrigued by the idea it's possible there might be a higher payload capacity on the shorter range trim. Which, mathematically and in terms of physics makes some sense, but probably marketing wise does not.
VIN just posted on X, 7g2cehed8ra001205
NHTSA VIN decoder says that means 9,001-10,000 GVWR (H for 6th). Dual motor (D in 8th).

Specifically:

And this is why the F-150 TRUCK is the best selling US vehicle for the last how many years. Of course it’s because all those fuelish buyers don’t understand what a truck is for. Here’s the lastest list of best selling vehicles from Car and Driver. Notice positions 1-3.

Specifically:

Again, a lot of speculation without good, solid, data to back it up. A truck handles worse then a sedan, has a worse ride quality, and is a pita to park. Yet people choose to sacrifice all those things to gain the utility they need. It's an individual decision based on a persons current and future needs over the lifetime of the purchase.
I don't know why someone who doesn't need a truck, would waste their time in the truck section, telling people who want a truck, that they don't need a truck.

I don't know why someone who doesn't need a truck, would waste their time in the truck section, telling people who want a truck, that they don't need a truck.

Same reason why many people in our society buy vehicles they don’t need.

It’s a way to telegraph their relative position, wealth wise, to all the other folks sitting in their respective vehicles while everyone is waiting at the set of red traffic lights turn green.

Again, a lot of speculation without good, solid, data to back it up.

Dude. I'm literally citing data from truck owners

This is like the 10th time that data has been discussed throughout the thread. I get you're new, but take a few minutes to read back a little.

A truck handles worse then a sedan, has a worse ride quality, and is a pita to park. Yet people choose to sacrifice all those things to gain the utility they need.

They demonstrably don't use it though.

That's the point.

They IMAGINE they do, and reality do not.

Me neither- and yet it's true of a majority of actual truck buyers based on the data we have.

Same reason people buy GIANT SUVS to drive by themselves and never go off road or tow anything or haul giant loads though- another thing that's common.

And this is why the F-150 TRUCK is the best selling US vehicle for the last how many years. Of course it’s because all those fuelish buyers don’t understand what a truck is for. Here’s the lastest list of best selling vehicles from Car and Driver. Notice positions 1-3.

Oh, they understand. They just don't actually USE IT for those things by a ratio of about 3 buyers to 1.

I've already cited SUVs as the same thing but there's plenty of other examples- consider all the home gym equipment that ends up as a coatrack... or all the mountain bikes that end up on facebook marketplace for pennies on the dollar.

Folks THINK they're gonna do cool stuff, or like the idea they CAN do this cool stuff with The Thing--- but then most of them don't ever do any of it.

I've heard a lot of people say they like trucks because they like sitting up high. I wonder how much of a selling point that will be for the CT. I might buy one just because it's big and safe. Driving is one of the most dangerous things we do on a daily basis. The main thing I don't like about trucks is the big loud gas guzzling engines. The CT might be the best of everything. I won't even look strange getting out of it wearing my superhero cape.