Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lease vs. Cash

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Generally there is no negotiating of any kind buying a Tesla, you are just ordering it online like an iPhone (even if you go into a "dealership" you are still just completing an online order). However, since with the lease you are dealing with Tesla Lending I'm not as sure as I am about ordering the car, but I imagine there isn't much negotiation there. Certainly you can choose options on the lease like how many miles are included.

Thanks, that's what I was trying to understand. With my other car purchases / leases, there was a lot of room for negotiation - from the cost of the car to the money factor.

The Tesla experience is like buying a Scion (or a Saturn if you remember those), or buying a used car from CarMax. The price you see is the price you pay. There is no negotiation, at least not on the price of the car. Lease terms might be a different beast.

One topic that many don't discuss on leases is the sales tax on the car, at least for California leases (other states may vary). When you buy you pay sales tax on entire purchase price of the car vs leasing only paying sales tax on payments.

That shiney P90DL @ 140K with 8.5% tax (Los Angeles) is an additional $11,900 in sales tax. If you trade in 3 years later to upgrade to say the latest hypothetical P110DL @140K again, you still pay another $11,900 in sales tax. There's no trade-in sales tax credit in California.

If you lease, you're only paying sales tax on your monthly payment. If you pay 50% of the cars value in payments over 3 years, you're only paying 5,950 in taxes, return the car after 3 years and upgrade at the same terms, another $5950 in taxes.

You're going to have fees when you lease but in California the sales tax savings will offset those fees, IF you are upgrading at regular intervals.

Back in 2012 when I took delivery of my P85, there were no leases but it's looking more attractive to me as the itch to upgrade every few years is greater than ever.

I think this will soon be a moot point, at least in regards to Tesla vehicles. At some point, likely in the very near future (around the time of M3 release), each model will no longer need any *hardware* upgrades in regard to autopilot.

Every "update" will shift to software only once all the necessary hardware is in place for full or near full autonomy, so essentially none of the models will become obsolete going forward...

I don't agree with your opinion, because there will always be something better or improvement thereof that would replace the aging hardware. For an example: the sensors have improved range or the rate of sensing increased, which would allow greater accuracy or detection. In this case, that's what is happening with Autopilot v1 and v2, among other things. I'm pretty sure as time goes by, there will be v3 and so on because once Tesla have data on their hands from v2, they will see limitations and develop for v3. This is always how technologies develop.

Thanks, that's what I was trying to understand. With my other car purchases / leases, there was a lot of room for negotiation - from the cost of the car to the money factor.
Maybe there would be no negotiating with TESLA, but you could certainly shop around for the financing of the vehicle, whether it be a purchase loan rate or a lease money factor. You don't HAVE to go through TESLA to get a loan or a lease for your car.

Reactions: Christopher Chan
This is important, so it's capped and bolded:

DO NOT LEASE IF YOU PLAN TO BUY AT LEASE END!!! YOU WILL LOSE THE TAX CREDIT!

This assumes Tesla has any credits left when you get the car, of course. Tesla leases (and many other EV leases; Volt leases are definitely done this way) handle the tax credit by artificially increasing the residual value by the tax credit, reducing the amount financed, and thus, your monthly payment. The leasing company gets less money from you, but makes it up on the credit. However, if you buy at the end of the lease, you are stuck paying the inflated residual, thereby buying a used car for $7500 more than it's worth. You'd be better off to walk away and find an identical car out on the used market.

Reactions: dgpcolorado
I have bought most of my cars with the exception of the 2013 Nissan Leaf that we leased. Both options have their advantages but it depends on you and how long you like to keep your cars. I think any person who keeps cars 5-10 years will find buying the better option in the majority of cases; however, I was glad I went the lease route with the Leaf.

In my case, we leased the Leaf because we were not sure how the technology would evolve and wanted to see if we liked living with an electric car for 3 years. We really liked the car and invested in a level2 charger and such. Nissan offered us a great deal by discounting our residual value (14,000) by $7500 so I wound up buying the car last month for $8500. My out of pocket expenses to own a $30,000 Leaf wound up being:

$5000 deposit + $8100 of lease payments + $8500.

I paid $21,000 for a car going for $29,000 and then got the $10,000 in federal/state incentives- actual cost of ownership was 11,000 and I still have the car.

The positives of leasing were:
- you have a car for a fixed term and have a guaranteed buyer for the car at the end of term at a set price. If the car is really worth more, you can buy the car and keep or flip it yourself.

-your payments are lower so you can drive a car with more options for a smaller payment.

The issues I had with leasing were:

- you're at a severe disadvantage if you go to the dealer expecting to buy and then wind up leasing. That was me 3 years ago and I got screwed on the money rate and other terms. For example, the dealer made the lease a 15k/year allowance when I requested a 12k/year. It would be hard for us to put 15k/year driving a Leaf with its range limitations. So I bought the car with 29k miles and had an allowance for 45k miles- I paid more for that option. I know how to buy a car but leasing seems more complicated.

- did not really modify the car to my liking like I would have if I bought the car. I didn't tint the windows or buy great tires when they needed replacement.

- double the trouble acquiring the car and dealing with the dealer. We were at the dealer for almost two hours simply buying our leased car which seems excessive when the price was determined and I wrote a check.

Would I do it again? Depends on the situation- I'm leaning on buying a M3.

My Modal S is on order and I still have not decided to lease or buy it, it most leases there is a bid difference in the monthly payment, with the Tesla i configured the difference is about $140. I leaning more towards buying.

How did you get the $7,500 federal credit? I thought only the original purchaser, the leasing company, got that credit. (Which is probably why they reduced your residual by $7,500.

I didn't have to do anything special. The dealer said that leasing had a big advantage over buying and he was right in this regard. I received both Federal and CA checks about 2 months after leasing the Leaf. The buy option would give me a credit on my taxes but I would have had to wait 6 months to realize it.

The additional $7500 incentive to buy car came in the mail a month ago and I had a short window for acting on.

It's unfortunate Tesla increases the residual value like it does- makes a difference in lease payments but kills any idea of the lessee buying the car. Tesla really wants you to get the next new Tesla while the corporation keeps the credit and the old car. It must then use the credit to discount the old car enough to attract another buyer- brilliant!

The fact is, Tesla appears to be using the Audi/Porsche model for leasing. Tesla's lease deals are terrible. Moreover, since Tesla doesn't discount like other brands, its leases just can't compete... Discounts from MSRP GREATLY reduces lease payments.

Let's just take a look. So it appears (from what I see on the personal sales forum here at TMC) people are selling 2013 85's with about 50k miles for about 50k. These cars were mostly in the low 90s, let's just say 92k. Now if you go configure a 92k Tesla for 15k miles per year, it ll be 1165/m + 6860 due at signing! So total lease payment over 3 years is 6860+1165*35 = 47635. But if instead you bought the car 3 years ago and now sold it for 50k, your total outlay (assuming only Fed credit) would be 92000-7500-50000 = 34500. So there's a 13k difference in overall outlay!

On the other hand, with say BMWs, the calculation almost always results in the inverse, meaning leasing is better than buying new and selling in 3 years. I don't know the residuals and MF that Tesla use, but they must be pretty bad, since current Model S leases already include the 7500 tax credit (at least that's my understanding).

However I think leases may be attractive on the model 3 in the first year or so when the tax credit is available since it will be equiv to a 7500 discount on the car. When that's gone, leasing a Tesla would be a pretty bad deal.

This is not a criticism on Tesla, it's just a business model. Porsche does like the same thing... A Porsche lease payment compared to a BMW lease payment, even when MSRPs are pretty much the same, frequently comes out like 30% higher.

• Informative
Reactions: internalaudit
Who was the Federal check from? The leasing company?

I believe I got the check from the government and not Nissan. This was 2.5 years ago but I think I would have remembered a check from Nissan. The dealer took care of the paperwork sent to government and I received two checks. Tesla does things different and I had no idea how good Nissan was in this regard until joining this forum.

Does anyone think that the technology in the Model3 will progress at such a high rate that purchasing the next gen Model 3 in a few years will be hard to pass up?

I mean things like huge increases in range (400+ miles on a charge), huge decreases in charging times (10 minutes or less to fully charge at a Supercharging station), way faster car for the same price, etc?

If so, I could see a reason to lease and upgrade rather than buy and hold. To be honest though, I don't see Tesla's technology improving *that* fast. Realistically, I can see incremental improvements in functionality as well as production becoming cheaper, more options included as standard, etc.

Does anyone think that the technology in the Model3 will progress at such a high rate that purchasing the next gen Model 3 in a few years will be hard to pass up?

I think we will be in a better place to guess about that once we get details on the Model 3 and the specs of the options.

For example if the Model 3 doesn't come with APv2 when it ships in 2017 I suspect it will by 2020. That alone may be enough to make some people want to lease vs. buy.

For example if the Model 3 doesn't come with APv2 when it ships in 2017 I suspect it will by 2020. That alone may be enough to make some people want to lease vs. buy.

+1 for this! I want to own a level 4 autonomous car whenever they come out. I'm hoping for APv2 on M3, with a future software upgrade to level 4. Depending on what is in the part 2 announcement, it could sway me towards a buy or lease. If it has everything I want, then I'll buy. But if it looks like 3 years from ship date will have better features, I would consider leasing.

I mean things like huge increases in range (400+ miles on a charge), huge decreases in charging times (10 minutes or less to fully charge at a Supercharging station), way faster car for the same price, etc?

I don't think we're in store for any huge technological advances on the battery front in the next several years (at least not in terms of becoming production-ready large-scale deployment). Increases in lithium battery technology are going to be incremental improvements in efficiency, not quantum leaps. The realities of capacity and charging are going to be with us for a while.

So long as they are forward thinking enough with the autonomy hardware and available computing capacity of the electronics, they should be able to keep pumping out functionality updates as the software becomes ready.

That said, there's always a reason to want a new car and I don't expect Tesla will be short on coming up with new ones.