Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Legit video of M3 crash?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did the math on this 12 hours ago or so, and found that the car traveled around 240 feet from the pedestrian to the truck. A model 3 going 110kph(68mph) should be able to emergency-brake to a stop somewhere around 175 feet from the point of initial brake application(presuming 60-0 is 133, scaled up to 68 assuming the friction is the same.

There should be no question that the driver was not paying attention, the car emergency-braked for the frantic pedestrian but stopped braking after he was passed, and it took a second or so for the driver to look up and do further braking.

Interestingly, I found Tesla on autopilot crashes into overturned truck, and the first video shows a BUNCH of other cars behind the 3 just barely avoiding crashing into it, like they are all looking 200 feet down the road instead of 400 feet down the road, in broad daylight, where there's a truck blocking two lanes.

Pretty straight forward event that was caused by driver inattention plus a Sensor Suite combination that can't detect stopped generalized "stuff".

I think most followers of Tesla's AP system are aware that the radar can't see stopped objects. Wired has a very good article on why this is.

What I think is less commonly known is the vision system can only detect what it's been trained on. To my knowledge its never been trained on generalized "crap that's in my way" so it's basically blind to it. Sure sometimes it's able to detect "stuff" where it then assigns whatever classification label it does know about to the "stuff". Like in my garage it picks up my lawn mower as a garbage can.

This lack of ability is why a small subset of Tesla owners like myself strongly believe FSD will never work without at least frontal LIDAR. This would not have happened with frontal LIDAR.

Reactions: StarHunter
In all seriousness though that is a rather large object not to avoid??? Is it because it cant identify it as the rear end of a car? You see this is where the publicity and reality can shape the way people think what the car can do and in reality its lucky no one was hurt. But I am a little surprised left alone the car had no clue about a large obstructing object rapidly approaching. Of course at the end of the day you can totally blame the driver but yes stand surprised it couldn't see that. Also it was not stopping for that pedestrian as well it seems.