Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Less updates for older cars?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it just me - or has the freqency of software updates reduced. My car is now close to 4 years old. Can't remember having the software updated for some considerable time. So are older cars being abandoned by Tesla?

Per Teslamate my median time between updates on my 2020 Model 3 is 15 days.

That's all updates including minor revisions, I could filter this list and only look for the major revisions but a quick scan would suggest roughly every 4 weeks since ownership:

1699559119313.png

Sorted by 'since previous update' the bigger gaps were predominantly in 2021:

1699559253072.png

If I look just at the last 6 months, rather than 3.5 years, my median time between updates reduces to 8 days.

Reactions: spdpsba
You’re up there with me on 32.9
There hasn’t been an update since 18/10/23 but they sometimes come thick and fast
38.x is close but unless there is some under the hood fixes, it’s not much use.

Fewer updates FFS !

It is likely that newer hardware needs more optimisation/fixing so perhaps you see fewer of these small increments on older cars but they still get all the week numbered updates at some point. 2023.32.x and just starting roll out of 2023.38.x now. It does seem that we don't get as many big feature changes as back in 2019/2020 but I would suggest that's really just a factor of the platform reaching maturity. Everyone used to complain for months whenever they changed things.

I do still remember when we used to get AutoPilot changes in the early days, before they stopped developing on our branch. Now it's all vampire games just too late for after Halloween.

History would suggest we will see a bigger update for the Christmas period, anyone got any guesses for what we will get? Integrated Grok to turn on your lights sarcastically while adding some right wing conspiracy ideas.

Updates are done regardless of age. You may not get some because of what you have (S/3/X/Y) and features (FSD). Mine is going on 5 years and still get updates but not as frequent. However, that's because I have FSD and am on a different code branch and not because of age.

In the past, Tesla would do a big update around the holidays but this seems to have not been as regular as it once was. tl;dr it's not you, it's Tesla. You'll get one when it comes out but they haven't had many updates recently (and even less so if you have FSD).

Hey us windows users are used to it. If we don't have to sit in the car and wait while 97 updates install every time before we can go on a journey, we are not happy.
Back in the standalone Satnav days I set up the Tomtom with the destination and everything for my wife before she set off on a long journey once. All she had to do was get in the car and drive, but no, she decided to click on the "install updates?" message that chose that moment to appear. Once they kicked off ETA was 3 hours with no way to stop them 🤣 .

• Funny
Reactions: Billbrown1982
Updates for my legacy S are mostly ‘not for you’ and a black box of minor/miscellaneous bug fixes and bug introductions. It’s something I no longer look forward to. Remember the essence is that the vehicle is battery electric, doesn’t emit toxic gases or burn anything and is still doing its transport purpose.

I wonder if there is some correlation with EM probably not breathing down the devs necks and frequently of updates. Hopefully that might equate to better QA rather than a rush job just to appease those that pay the wages/fires.

Or it might simply be a reflection of how many different hardware combinations they have to deal with. I can see that being a future problem.

Thanks for all the replies - I guess that Tesla is listening because as soon as I put the first post in this thread I got an update to 2023.38.6 :)

I get that there are things my 'ancient' Tesla can't do compared to newer hardware. But it could still;

Give vastly improved wiper control
Allow space for the RDS information to be read
Give up on the insistance of wipers for cruise control
Do something to keep your feet warm
Get rid of the auto de-fogging that seems to have appeared recently
Stop jumping out of it's skin beacuse there is a pedestrian on the pavement (i know they don't have these in the States)
Recognise that ALL the camera warnings are totally irrelevant.
Figure out that when the car is stationery it is unlikely that the road markings are jumping around
Know the sequence for traffic lights in the country selected
Allow you to select FM or DAB in the radio

So if Tesla are listening I am greatly looking forward to seeing all these vital functions in the next update.