Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Let's hope that hardcore litigation team is up and running

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That’s massive. The leak even includes the name of their CEO…
This is not funny...

including the social security number of Tesla CEO Musk, along with private email addresses, phone numbers, salaries of employees, bank details of customers and secret details from production, Handelsblatt reported.
let's hope my cc is not stored on plain text with validity and ccv and home address :/

This is not funny...

Its the way the transgression was being reported. The most important thing was the CEO's (title used to protect the CEO's identity) name being leaked. All the important stuff was secondary iirc. HOWEVER, my bad if not the case, but when I first read it, I'm pretty sure it only mentioned the name of EM being leaked rather than his social security umber (along with all the other bits of leaked info as a secondary piece of info).

Its the way the transgression was being reported. The most important thing was the CEO's (title used to protect the CEO's identity) name being leaked. All the important stuff was secondary iirc. HOWEVER, my bad if not the case, but when I first read it, I'm pretty sure it only mentioned the name of EM being leaked rather than his social security umber (along with all the other bits of leaked info as a secondary piece of info).
no - i literally quoted article. name was just artistic addition - national insurance number comes first

Why is the news article characterising the person that leaked the data as a whistleblower? What are they whistleblowing here?

A whistleblower Is someone who uncovers wrong doing or leaks a cover up etc. I’m not seeing any of that with that’s come from the ‘tesla files’ so far.

If they are indeed a disgruntled ex-employee, downloading company records and handing them to a third party doesn’t make them a whistleblower, just a criminal.

Well for starters they blew the whistle on company employees viewing camera footage when it apparently does not leave the car.

Was that the same person?

Either way, it still doesn’t give you the legal protection to download a load of un-related data and share it with a 3rd party. Leaking the chat logs would have been more than enough to whistleblow that.

Well for starters they blew the whistle on company employees viewing camera footage when it apparently does not leave the car.

It was never stated it did not leave the car, just that short clips would captured and not associated with the account or vehicle and appeared to primarily be used for training AI to identify things correctly… that linked article actually is a mixture of factually accurate information intermixed with sensationalism. The only issues were the possible internal sharing footage for non relevant purposes and that the data still had location information that made it easier to link back to an individual.

Is the whistleblowing not ironically that they don’t secure employee or customer data?
The person may have legitimately required access to the data for their role.

They were allegedly a technician working on their digital infrastructure. It’s not like they were a car assembly worker where there is no obvious requirement to have access to customer data.

It was never stated it did not leave the car, just that short clips would captured and not associated with the account or vehicle and appeared to primarily be used for training AI to identify things correctly… that linked article actually is a mixture of factually accurate information intermixed with sensationalism. The only issues were the possible internal sharing footage for non relevant purposes and that the data still had location information that made it easier to link back to an individual.
e.g. 2023 journalism

But why do they need access to your bank details?

Spinning up environments, making sure everything is ticking along nicely, developing or maintaining new services, etc. Don't require you to have access to customer bank details.

If you need dummy data for load testing you use anonomised data not live customer data.

I work for a Dutch company and they take customer data privacy extremely seriously in the Netherlands. In fact their old Dutch Personal Data Protection Act was pretty much identical to their GDPR implementation. I do kniw some of their regulations go further than GDPR as we have to do specific data adjustments for Dutch data compared to the rest of Europe. It’s probably the worst country in Europe to leak data In.

I don't know if it still happens since I retired but the joke UK was paying the data protection fee. It was common for rouge agencies to get their hands on upcoming renewals and send a demand a day or two before the gov letter and adding their handling fee. Thus proving how poorly the govs agency protected data themselves.