Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

let's look at this video of a tesla crashing while on autopilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla Autopilot crash caught on dashcam shows how not to use the system

I mean we can see that this isn't marked very well whatsoever. The driver with the dashcam is almost crashing too.

But this is the one occasion where I would think that the autopilot should be handling this quite well? The cameras and radar should be clearly detecting that the road is narrowing and steer the tesla to the right to keep in lane?

am i mistaken here? The only thing I can spot that there will be a conflict with the road markings, but imho a solid object which you are a bout to crash into should still be avoided?

+1 Pezpunk Also when will everything that happens while driving a Tesla stop being blamed on everything other than the driver. When FSD is introduced IF something like this happens with FSD in charge....THAT will be news.....btw other than the driver "saying so" how is 100% certain AP was even engaged....

+1 Pezpunk Also when will everything that happens while driving a Tesla stop being blamed on everything other than the driver. When FSD is introduced IF something like this happens with FSD in charge....THAT will be news.....btw other than the driver "saying so" how is 100% certain AP was even engaged....
The dude posted a thread on reddit blaming AP1, you're right, we don't know for a fact it was engaged, but I bet if it weren't, Tesla would come out and say so.

not sure how people think that AP1 is supposed to handle a highway under construction.
AP1 stayed in its lane.
unfortunately, the lane partially dead ended into a construction barrier.

not sure why the driver had AP1 even attempt this.

Did its crash sensors not sense a cement divider? There was no vehicle to the right of the vehicle so if it had to make a decision it should have moved over to avoid the divider. This is what scares me about FSD and I dont think these vehicles can be programmed for every scenario.

Did its crash sensors not sense a cement divider? There was no vehicle to the right of the vehicle so if it had to make a decision it should have moved over to avoid the divider. This is what scares me about FSD and I dont think these vehicles can be programmed for every scenario.
Crash sensors? What's that?

AP1 has a foward facing radar (wouldn't see the cement divider), forward facing camera (likely saw the cement divider at some point, but ignored it not knowing what to do with it) and 16 ultrasonic sensors which are slow to react. So the ultrasonics likely saw it, but it was too late to move the car over.

This issue is also true of the video of the car crossing the center line and heading towards an oncoming car.

O.K., it loses lane keeping, buy why doesn't it see and avoid the oncoming car?

Crash sensors? What's that?

AP1 has a foward facing radar (wouldn't see the cement divider), forward facing camera (likely saw the cement divider at some point, but ignored it not knowing what to do with it) and 16 ultrasonic sensors which are slow to react. So the ultrasonics likely saw it, but it was too late to move the car over.

Yes, I was referring to the multiple ultrasonic sensors which should have seen the wall getting closer and closer.

am i mistaken here? The only thing I can spot that there will be a conflict with the road markings, but imho a solid object which you are a bout to crash into should still be avoided?
you are mistaken because YOU are the last failsafe, as has been noted over and over again AP is NOT autonomous, AP is an assist, you need to always be alert and ready to assume control.

Reactions: CSFTN
A couple months ago I rented an X and had it engaged in AP1 in an eerily similar situation (just north of Dallas, southbound I-35). The novelty of AP was enough that I wouldn't even let myself relax, so hands were on the wheel and ready to react.

Anyhow, I would have hit barrels where he hit the barrier, and I had very little time to react (less than a second as lane adjustment arrived quickly). Luckily I didn't have to learn the lesson to be alert while on AP the hard way like he did.

AP1 is not designed to handle this. There is not anything mysterious with this. AP1 follows lines and the line leads to this wall.

I'm sometimes critical towards Tesla, but IMHO, this is clearly outside AP1's promised capabilities.

A couple months ago I rented an X and had it engaged in AP1 in an eerily similar situation (just north of Dallas, southbound I-35). The novelty of AP was enough that I wouldn't even let myself relax, so hands were on the wheel and ready to react.

Anyhow, I would have hit barrels where he hit the barrier, and I had very little time to react (less than a second as lane adjustment arrived quickly). Luckily I didn't have to learn the lesson to be alert while on AP the hard way like he did.
apparently you don't read the posts or the manual. AP should not be engaged in construction zones.

• Disagree
Reactions: ACExpress
There was no vehicle to the right of the vehicle so if it had to make a decision it should have moved over to avoid the divider

That's not what EAP does. That's what FSD will do in the future IF they get it operational

This is what scares me about FSD and I dont think these vehicles can be programmed for every scenario.

Evaluating what FSD can/should do in the future based on what EAP does today is silly.
I just saw a 9 month baby. He can't walk. Does this mean he'll never be able to walk or drive a car based on his current abilities?

also; your concern about programming for every scenario is true for humans as well. it's one of the reasons why human beings crash their cars every minute of the day.

===
I'm one of the people who is doubtful that we will see true FSD anytime in the next decade, until cars and computing improve AND infrastructure changes (like sensors in the roads, etc).

I would excuse a non-Tesla owner for not understanding EAP vs FSD.
however: current Tesla Model S owners are all "Early adopters".
we all know about the Tesla ramming into a semi truck while on AP.

this person tried to have AP1 navigate a very tricky construction situation, where the lane markings went towards a temporary barrier in the road. s/he should have disengaged it the second they realized they were entering a construction zone.

The Tesla driver also passed this sign complete with a 45mph speed warning of the lane shift a full 17 seconds before it happened. Another case of inattention and using Autopilot where it shouldn't be used. The full video is here.

View attachment 217039

Thank you k5ing.
it helps clear up whether or not the driver should have known a construction zone was upcoming.

big red warning sign with SPEED LIMIT 45 and a curve would count.

Reactions: MP3Mike and K5ING
traffic.jpg

What next?
We'll see someone get upset after their Tesla crashes after trying to do this using AP1 or AP2?

"Waah! Who could possibly have foreseen that my car couldn't figure this out?!!!!!"

apparently you don't read the posts or the manual. AP should not be engaged in construction zones.

Apparently you don't drive much in Dallas where some of these construction zones and lane alterations seemingly come out of nowhere. It's very easy to see how this could happen and not just on hwy 121 where this incident took place and construction was marked (poorly). Might want to drive a mile on someone else's route before casting stones.