Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lets work out the Tesla Semi-Truck Technical Specs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agreed. But not sure on the charger part. Would it have full 4 pack self charge ability? Seems like a corner case, since it would need a large source to recharge, and the routes should be well known so no out of charge situations. Maybe one charger that can link to any of the packs? 4:1 plug and selection via the pack contactors? With a service/ recharge truck, it could be eliminated entirely.
Lower cost of ownership to have a few megachargers and no truck charging.

Given the discussion about the typical route being 250 miles or less, I'm thinking the semi use case will be similar to the S/X use case - most charging done by AC during off hours, a small percentage DCFC done at Megachargers on trips that are longer.

Just as with the cars, it doesn't make sense to invest in bigger, more expensive DCFC equipment at every depot when they'll be charging overnight.

The one wrench in my theory there is that those depots probably do have three phase power, unlike US homes. So it'd be really handy to be able to pass three phase to the onboard charger and charge all four packs from it - which they certainly have the pins for in the new connector if they don't use isolated/dedicated chargers (or if the dedicated chargers all share a common set of connections from the plug/high voltage junction box.)

Given the discussion about the typical route being 250 miles or less, I'm thinking the semi use case will be similar to the S/X use case - most charging done by AC during off hours, a small percentage DCFC done at Megachargers on trips that are longer.

Just as with the cars, it doesn't make sense to invest in bigger, more expensive DCFC equipment at every depot when they'll be charging overnight.

The one wrench in my theory there is that those depots probably do have three phase power, unlike US homes. So it'd be really handy to be able to pass three phase to the onboard charger and charge all four packs from it - which they certainly have the pins for in the new connector if they don't use isolated/dedicated chargers (or if the dedicated chargers all share a common set of connections from the plug/high voltage junction box.)

Good points. What about sub-megachargers? 4 outputs but less current requirements one 480v input and recharges in 8 hours at a 125kW total rate same at current SC.
If vehicle chargers are 17.2 kW, then two per pack would work, eight total. So I could be over optimizing, Still need the protected feed cable.

Doubt it - part of the country has an 85mph speed limit. I don't think a truck will sell here that can't do 90mph at least when it's empty.
Please don't spread misinformation. It's very easy to look up data like these before you post.

In other words, You're Wrong.

There is not any public road in NoAm where a commercial vehicle legally can be driven at 85 mph. None.

There are two states where some interstate highways have an 80mph max for trucks: Nevada and South Dakota. Twelve states allow trucks to max at 75mph for some of their roads. Even Montana-of-high-speed fame does not permit any commercial vehicle, anywhere in the state, to exceed 65mph. That last one I know to my personal unfortunatenesshoodmentship.

Carry on.

Here, for example, are some data you can trust: Here's a Complete List of Truck Speed Limit Laws In Each State

Good points. What about sub-megachargers? 4 outputs but less current requirements one 480v input and recharges in 8 hours at a 125kW total rate same at current SC.
If vehicle chargers are 17.2 kW, then two per pack would work, eight total. So I could be over optimizing, Still need the protected feed cable.

Maybe. If they decided not to include an onboard charger and to do all charging by DCFC that could explain the plug design - and then they sell the cheap "low power" 480V three phase version with the truck to install at the depot, since even the largest common plug (14-50) is a drop in the bucket for the semi, only 5-10 miles per hour of charging.

No need to carry an "overnight" charger onboard. Just a regular one is enough (like on Model S/X).
Companies will likely be interested in getting juice cheaper than from grid.
They might invest into solar, Powerpacks, whatever. Making DC input very likely.
Tesla will likely sell DC stations (which are made out of onboard chargers anyway) to customers.
So yea, privately owned SuperChargers.

Reason why there are 8 cables (4 positive, 4 negative) is not about how many battery packs there are.
It's because cables (wires actually) can't get much bigger due to multiple reasons:
1) diameter gets too large, inner core thermal problems (double the copper you don't double the current any more)
2) very thick wires are not going to bend enough to be used by single operator
3) human can not mate the plug into the socket due to mating surface pressure requirements. 300A connections
are near max for mortals. Mating depth can be shifted few millimeters to between different pins.
4) cable lugs, connections, etc - all gets way too complicated.

I've done some power connections at ABB. 400A 3phase breaker. Used two 70mm2 wires parallel per phase.
Each can handle 200A easily. Notice that mating pins are at different depths.
abb.jpg

abb2.jpg

Reason why there are 8 cables (4 positive, 4 negative) is not about how many battery packs there are.
It's because cables (wires actually) can't get much bigger due to multiple reasons:

Splitting the cables does help for the reasons you mention, but if there are 4 sets of cables and 4 packs, any reason to recombine them instead of each pack getting a set?

Worst cable I ran was a 250mcm/ 167mm^2 power run to the barn. Had to remove the terminal from the busbar, slip it over the wire, then reattach because there was no way it was going to bend enough to get in there. Hopefully, they use high stand count welding type cable...

I see that all users with engineering skills had their minds being blown away for too long.
So I'm giving my shot.
BAMF needs 20 seconds from 0-60mph at 80 000 pounds.
28.6m/s is 60mph
36 290kg is the weight
KE= 05*36290*28,6*28,6= 14 841 884 J =14,84MJ is the energy required to get from 0 to 60.

joules=watts*seconds
14 841 884J / 20s=742 kW at the wheels for 20 seconds is required to meet the specs.
That's 1000hp at the wheels.
Need to add some inefficiencies to get motor output capability.
Let's say very optimistically 800kW. So 200kW each motor. (Model 3 motor rated to 192kW?)

Funny fact, that getting truck up to speed requires around 5 kWh of energy:D
Slowing it down can get around 2.5kWh back. That's pretty much exactly what
I get from my Leaf. It weighs 22,5x less and gets 25x less from that same speed, 0,1kWh.
Which confirms that calculations are not far off.

Maximum speed is 65mph at 5% grade.
That is 29m/s forward, 1,45m/s upwards
This data gives us maximum nominal power output at wheels. For cars it is not important.
For trucks, it is. And for racing.
36290kg * 9,81 * 1,45 m = 516 207 J = 516kW. Plus 130kW required to travel 29m at top
speed (which is not 65mph but should be close). Is 646kW for nominal power at wheels.
That means 161kW per motor, +drivetrain inefficiency, around 180kW. That is around 9kW of heat
from each motor/inverter. Well. I don't know how to get rid of that. Must have at least two
AC compressors that Model S has. This solves half. Plus maybe half from glycol radiators.
If that is true, these two-three AC compressors could partly solve megacharging heat issue.
It appears to me that there is barely enough air intake surface area for heat exchangers.

"Lifetime brake pads". 800kW retardation is fine for 20-25 tons, but 35 tons, not sure.
Maximum theoretical regen BAMF can do is 20 seconds from 60-0 with maximum trailer.
That's not fast enough for intersections (red lights) etc. Trailer brakes must be used.
Oh yea, trailer is not Tesla. Lifetime brake warranty was for BAMF, not trailers.

Thank you for your attention.

Oh and as we know how Elon's brain works... we can make a good guess:

MegaCharger - derived from word Mega. That is a prefix.
Symbolizing power rating of one megawatt, which is 1000 kilowatts.
Mathematically, it could consist out of 60 Tesla's 3rd gen onboard chargers.
Each capable 16.5kW power. Times 60 is pretty much 1MW (megawatt).
Example: four columns each 15 modules high or 6 columns each 10 modules high.
Anyway, they look very simple and boring inside.
https://insideevs.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/supercharger.jpg

In conjunction with PowerPacks (which also look very simple and boring inside)
https://www.tesla.com/tesla_theme/assets/img/powerpack/inside-powerpack-open-full.png

all will work just fine. The only part missing is DC to DC charge controller
for charging from PowerPack to BAMF.
And no, the one onboard every Tesla (400DC to 12V DC) is not the right size:)
And yes, 350kW is "child's toy" compared to 1MW:cool:

• Informative
Reactions: Brando and ggnykk
I see that all users with engineering skills had their minds being blown away for too long.
So I'm giving my shot.
BAMF needs 20 seconds from 0-60mph at 80 000 pounds.
28.6m/s is 60mph
36 290kg is the weight
KE= 05*36290*28,6*28,6= 14 841 884 J =14,84MJ is the energy required to get from 0 to 60.

joules=watts*seconds
14 841 884J / 20s=742 kW at the wheels for 20 seconds is required to meet the specs.
That's 1000hp at the wheels.
Need to add some inefficiencies to get motor output capability.
Let's say very optimistically 800kW. So 200kW each motor. (Model 3 motor rated to 192kW?)

Funny fact, that getting truck up to speed requires around 5 kWh of energy:D
Slowing it down can get around 2.5kWh back. That's pretty much exactly what
I get from my Leaf. It weighs 22,5x less and gets 25x less from that same speed, 0,1kWh.
Which confirms that calculations are not far off.

Maximum speed is 65mph at 5% grade.
That is 29m/s forward, 1,45m/s upwards
This data gives us maximum nominal power output at wheels. For cars it is not important.
For trucks, it is. And for racing.
36290kg * 9,81 * 1,45 m = 516 207 J = 516kW. Plus 130kW required to travel 29m at top
speed (which is not 65mph but should be close). Is 646kW for nominal power at wheels.
That means 161kW per motor, +drivetrain inefficiency, around 180kW. That is around 9kW of heat
from each motor/inverter. Well. I don't know how to get rid of that. Must have at least two
AC compressors that Model S has. This solves half. Plus maybe half from glycol radiators.
If that is true, these two-three AC compressors could partly solve megacharging heat issue.
It appears to me that there is barely enough air intake surface area for heat exchangers.

"Lifetime brake pads". 800kW retardation is fine for 20-25 tons, but 35 tons, not sure.
Maximum theoretical regen BAMF can do is 20 seconds from 60-0 with maximum trailer.
That's not fast enough for intersections (red lights) etc. Trailer brakes must be used.
Oh yea, trailer is not Tesla. Lifetime brake warranty was for BAMF, not trailers.

Thank you for your attention.

Motor requirements have to be somewhat higher, because the truck must be torque limited for some portion of the acceleration run (impossible to deliver maximum power in the first second since it would require infinite torque.) With that caveat, your approach looks good.

It's interesting that you aren't getting closer agreement between the 0-60 and hill climbing power requirements - it sounds like Tesla may have understated the hill climb capability, possibly in interest of round numbers.

Motor requirements have to be somewhat higher, because the truck must be torque limited for some portion of the acceleration run (impossible to deliver maximum power in the first second since it would require infinite torque.) With that caveat, your approach looks good.

It's interesting that you aren't getting closer agreement between the 0-60 and hill climbing power requirements - it sounds like Tesla may have understated the hill climb capability, possibly in interest of round numbers.

At the start of the run, the motors can produce the needed average torque, net power would be 0 due to not moving at the start. No back EMF to start, so just maintaini by current in the stator. (Acting like a rocket engine)

It could maintain speed up a steeper grade (for some amount of time) but the 5% is at the high end of what trucks experience. Might be the thermal limit for continuous operation.

Edit: It was also used in the presentation as a comparison the existing tractors @ 45 MPH, so they couldn't just go with the real grade limit.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Olle
Hi,
Would you take another look to verify/ correct my interpretation? It looked to me like 4 packs , the next set of frames drop the cab floor over it with fore/aft tube structures that make it look like more modules.
each of those "4 packs" that you see is actually 12 sub-pack across the whole width of the truck, you can see the lines separating.

New here, been around trucks all my life.

Anybody know what these things weigh? This seems blaringly absent from this discussion and the introduction of these units. Judging from performance claims this truck is going to need a huge battery pack.

The model S has a 1200lb battery pack correct? How many horsepower does it take to roll down a level highway at 65mph in calm conditions? Around 20 or so? Estimated range is around 290ish miles Driving Range for the Model S Family ?

A truck grossing at 80,000lb will require around 200hp to maintain 65mph, that's 10 times more energy to move it, claimed range is 500 miles so that's around 1.7 times more energy. Does this mean the batteries will weigh around 17 times the batteries of the model S (20,000lb)?

Another way to do this is the diesel truck gets about 7mpg average and it appears a Volkswagen Jetta diesel (about the weight, maybe a little less aerodynamic than a model S) gets around 40mpg so that's 5.7 times more energy. Add this to the extended range vs the Model S and the truck will need at least 9.7 times more battery than the model S or almost 12,000lbs.

The average highway tractor weighs in at 17,000lb full of fuel, subtract around 6000lb for the drivetrain, add 11,000lb for battery pack plus another ton maybe for the motors and controllers that would mean this truck could weigh in at over 25,000lb? Possibly as high as 30,000lb?

Add a 10,000lb trailer and you have a 35,000lb payload vs 53,000lb payload = 33% less revenue, that's pretty substantial and still 13% (based on 20% lower cost of operating claim) less net profit vs a conventional diesel highway tractor.

What do you think?

• Disagree
Reactions: UrsS
New here, been around trucks all my life.

Anybody know what these things weigh? This seems blaringly absent from this discussion and the introduction of these units. Judging from performance claims this truck is going to need a huge battery pack.

The model S has a 1200lb battery pack correct? How many horsepower does it take to roll down a level highway at 65mph in calm conditions? Around 20 or so? Estimated range is around 290ish miles Driving Range for the Model S Family ?

A truck grossing at 80,000lb will require around 200hp to maintain 65mph, that's 10 times more energy to move it, claimed range is 500 miles so that's around 1.7 times more energy. Does this mean the batteries will weigh around 17 times the batteries of the model S (20,000lb)?

Another way to do this is the diesel truck gets about 7mpg average and it appears a Volkswagen Jetta diesel (about the weight, maybe a little less aerodynamic than a model S) gets around 40mpg so that's 5.7 times more energy. Add this to the extended range vs the Model S and the truck will need at least 9.7 times more battery than the model S or almost 12,000lbs.

The average highway tractor weighs in at 17,000lb full of fuel, subtract around 6000lb for the drivetrain, add 11,000lb for battery pack plus another ton maybe for the motors and controllers that would mean this truck could weigh in at over 25,000lb? Possibly as high as 30,000lb?

Add a 10,000lb trailer and you have a 35,000lb payload vs 53,000lb payload = 33% less revenue, that's pretty substantial and still 13% (based on 20% lower cost of operating claim) less net profit vs a conventional diesel highway tractor.

What do you think?

There's no way the motors and inverters are an extra ton. The 6k is probably about right from what I've seen, and the 11k might well be. I suspect Tesla's cab structure will end up being lighter than the others by more than the weight of the motors/inverters, so likely more in the 22k range all up. That will reduce the load capability, but by less than the reduction in cost so it still saves overall if you can package the loads suitably.

There's no way the motors and inverters are an extra ton. The 6k is probably about right from what I've seen, and the 11k might well be. I suspect Tesla's cab structure will end up being lighter than the others by more than the weight of the motors/inverters, so likely more in the 22k range all up. That will reduce the load capability, but by less than the reduction in cost so it still saves overall if you can package the loads suitably.

Going by the super simplified ignore drive wheel friction route, 0-60 is 5 seconds for tractor and 20 seconds for 80k, so....
20k lbs for tractor?

Along with no engine/transmission the front structure is greatly simplified since the drive units direct mount to the rear axle and there is no engine to support and prevent from twisting.

Reactions: jkn
Hello there all. I work as a CAD engineer in the UK. I've carried an odd little exercise for myself using screenshots of the video Tesla put on Twitter.

Due to the amount of corroborating information on that picture, the fact that the battery modules are quite obvious as containing one cell height, the Tesla Model 3's battery cell details, and of wk057's work & product information and other details (listed below), I thought it might not be actually be that difficult to determine the geometric maxima.

Obviously not trying to pursue accuracy here, but this is the next best thing.

How many 21x70mm cells could be hexagonally arranged in there? I inserted cropped screenshots of the Semi at different stages of the video -please excuse the chair- and scaling them to satisfy the (mostly much larger) knowable dimensions> such as:

- An assumptive width of 2.55m. I think this is the average Euro limit, US is 2.6m if i recall correctly. But obviously not more so than the standard container of 2.44m (8 ft). It is obvious the vehicle smoothly lines up with it's trailer section more so than a traditional semi.

- Matching up axle pitches from both planes of screenshots.

- Battery box cover Z dimension lineup The modules are obviously shorter, see centre gap, mind for perspective-induced fuzzy edge on front one)

- Tyre diameter (which appears to correspond well 42" if a slight bit large - suggests 2.5 metre width?) Left sketch overlaps alone due to slight perspective apparent.

- Elon Musk's height. Go ahead, laugh... Best person to make comparisons with due to his known height of 188cm as a celebrity and seen clearly specifically in the unveil video, stepping out of the vehicle with his height almost perfecting matching the body/window boundary on the truck, and from some camera distance as well. Also, tyre and number plate can be compared.

Door corresponds to somewhat 170cm (>6ft) height from cab floor, please let me know if this sounds incorrect.

View XY.jpg
Interrelated Sketches.jpg

Modules YZ.jpg

Battery modules, as described by others earlier in this thread, in the Tesla Twitter video, appear to be composed of four (bent metal?) "module carriers" with 3 modules each inside of them. I have judged the outside edges of the battery compartments to be 80cm +/- 1 cm along the lengthwards direction (minor floor plane) and around 220cm in the widthwards direction (major floor plane) due to the rectilinear C- shaped "hem" visible in the red highlights of the battery compartment from above in the Twitter video.

To make it clear, I am not aiming for technical accuracy, but rather the absolute geometric limits of what number of 2170s could possibly fit in the space of the modules.

Using this reprehensible methodology and creating a battery module footprint of 80x222cm and assuming a hexagonal pattern of 21mm diameter circles with a 23mm pitch (2mm spacing representing aluminium cooling fins... please let me know more about this) I have found that the largest number of circles is basically 3,726 to 3,774 depending on the direction of orientation.

For those who are concerned that my sketching may not be accurate, due to packing inefficiencies, it turns out that changing the floor dimensions of the module by as much as +/- 1.5 cm actually makes no or little difference, whereas changing the orientation, or pitch by +/- 1mm, will have fairly dramatic results in comparison. Based on this property I propose that the maximum possible cell capacity is predictable to determine even with >5 pixels in perceptive error.

See the screenshots below.

Hex. 23mm Pitch 21mm Dia. Cells in 80x222cm Rectangle - 3726 Cells.jpg
Hex. 23mm Pitch 21mm Dia. Cells in 80x222cm Rectangle - 3774 Cells, 1 Row = 36.jpg

Judging by earlier information elsewhere on the Tesla Model 3, with the Standard Range having 2,976 cells and the Long Range having 4,416 cells with a maximum of 80,500 Wh, we can be sure that the Wh per 2170 cell is 18.23~18.24. Dividing that number by 1.46, given that the 2170 is said to have 46% more volume than the 18650, gives the result of roughly 12.5Wh, which is basically what one gets if tapping in numbers from wk057's breakdown of the Tesla 100 kWh battery pack.

That story over, we can now determine the absolute capacity of one of these modules:

3,726 cells x 18.23 Wh => 67,924.98 Wh

3,774 cells x 18.23 Wh => 68,800.02 Wh

So let's call them 67.9kWh and 68.8kWh respectively.

The image below is a revealing screenshot from Tesla's Twitter video, if you haven't seen it, please do so.

Semi Battery Modules.jpg

It's a bit dark, but you can reasonably tell several things:

1. There are four "module holders" or possibly welded frames.
2 There are three modules or module "layers" in each "module holder" making up a total of 12.
3. The "hems" or "frame edges" of the "module holders" continue vertically downwards and do not appear around the central "bends"
4. The divisions at the top produce a number that is too numerous to be separate modules.
5. The modules are narrow enough to have one height of cell (Upon sketching they appear to be exactly the height of S and 3 modules...)
6. There is a pattern on top that goes upwards judging by the light pattern on the motors, and is therefore probably related to module holder engineering, rather than a supposed hidden number of smaller modules.

Therefore, we can take the numbers of kWhs earlier, and multiply them by 12 to obtain the absolute capacity of the total.

The total capacity is therefore:

67.9 kWh x 12 = 814.8 kWh

68.8 kWh x 12 = 825.6 kWh

I think this strongly suggests a usable of 800kWh, with a megawatt hour being impossible with the same chemistry as the Model 3.

I suspect that the real answer is in between, and that the "module holders", are designed to have a usable capacity of 200kWh to be multiplied as necessary, given the non enclosing appearance of the body underframe, for different regimes (but not for swapping).

Since each one has what I safely assume to be three modules, those would need a usable capacity of 66.7kWh per module.

What about efficiency and charging?

Quite obviously, it's going to be 1.6 kWh per mile or less. If we treat any "500 mile range" with the same degree of trustworthiness as the ranges of the Tesla Model S, then the capacity could still be 750 kWh, but no less as 1.5 is stretching things as it is.

The Cummins AEOS, Daimler FUSO both appear to have an efficiency close to 1.4 for lower average speeds and weights, while the Freightliner Supertruck seems to be equivalent to 1.7-1.8 when I account for the diesel being exactly 50% efficient. Given that the Tesla has better aero, retracting skirts and regenerative power downhill, therefore 1.6 makes sense to me.

...That leaves the "400 miles in 30 minutes" figure.

I'm going to make a controversial assumption. I think what it really means is "to 80% of range from a minimum reserve that the driver can see in his tank/battery", because, let's face it, almost no-one refuels or charges from flat, and certainly not from a battery vehicle under a great deal of expectation and skepticism.

Size of this "minimum reserve in mind is probably anything from 10% upwards. Say it's 10% of range. So for a usable of 800 kWh, 10% to 80% is going to be from 80kWh to 640kWh, a difference of 480kWh, which in terms of charge-rate considerations, is 59% or 58% of 815 or 825kWh absolute capacity, and would require only 960 kW average, with a higher (tapering) input to begin with, I guess about 1.2-1.4 MW, hence the "Megacharger".

So a charge rate of 30 minutes here, is not anywhere further outside the bounds of current battery technology performance.

Let me know if I have anything disastrously wrong here, it's not going to be completely accurate, but it is a potential maximum and I am having quite a bit difficulty seeing how it could have an absolute capacity more than 840 kWh.