Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lifetime Average Wh/mi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got my Model X P75D about a month ago and I'm getting only 450 Wh/Mi on my average trip. I've got Regen braking and range mode on. Driving average 75 mph, nearly all flat, I'm not an aggressive driver, I'm in California so the whether is mild.

Essentially when I charge my car to 90% it says I have 214 miles on a charge, but in reality I'm lucky to get 125 miles out of it! Huge difference! I'm pretty disappointed so far as I got the car due to the additional range as I have a long commute to work. I see most people are getting 320-340 Wh/Mi even in less perfect conditions which is way better than what I'm able to get. Am I doing something wrong?

I got my Model X P75D about a month ago and I'm getting only 450 Wh/Mi on my average trip. I've got Regen braking and range mode on. Driving average 75 mph, nearly all flat, I'm not an aggressive driver, I'm in California so the whether is mild.

Essentially when I charge my car to 90% it says I have 214 miles on a charge, but in reality I'm lucky to get 125 miles out of it! Huge difference! I'm pretty disappointed so far as I got the car due to the additional range as I have a long commute to work. I see most people are getting 320-340 Wh/Mi even in less perfect conditions which is way better than what I'm able to get. Am I doing something wrong?

450 Wh/Mi is pretty high on average ... do you have 21" wheels?

Yeah, I have the black rims which I think are 21". Would that alone cause it? It just seems way off what everyone else is getting.

Tesla states that the larger 22" wheels produce a 10-15% range loss :cool:

Model X range.PNG

Yeah, I have the black rims which I think are 21". Would that alone cause it? It just seems way off what everyone else is getting.
A list of factors more or less in order of importance:

1. Driving style (Duh :) )
2. Tire type (performance or not. In general the lower the aspect ratio, the higher performance the tire is and the more rolling resistance it has, which is hard to separate from the wheels' contribution)
3. Climate
4. Tire pressure
5. Terrain
6. Alignment (the effect varies depending upon how far out the alignment is)
7. Traffic patterns (stop and go is particularly bad)
8. Road construction (material, aggregate size, and age--old concrete that has worn smooth is the best for rolling resistance)
9. Wheel mass distance from the centre of rotation (The further the mass is from the centre of rotation, the more effect it will have).
10. Load

• Informative
Reactions: OBX John
After 11 months of ownership here are my P90DL's numbers

Current Month
Distance = 3,768 miles
Total energy kWh = 1212.8
Avg energy / Mile in Wh/m = 322
Avg Temp 55.8F (from TeslaFi)

Lifetime (11 Months)
Distance = 16,132.5 miles
Total energy kWh = 5184
Avg energy / Mile in Wh/m = 321

This month's data reflects a one month trip from Connecticut to Florida with
many stops along the way. Range mode off the entire trip.
Firmware at 2.52.22
While in FL, I was getting 282 Wh/m while at 75 MPH in turnpike driving.

After 12 months of ownership here are my P90DL's numbers

Current Month February
Distance = 605 miles
Total energy kWh = 221.0
Avg energy / Mile in Wh/m = 365
Avg Temp 42.6F (from TeslaFi)

Lifetime (12 Months)
Distance = 16,752 miles
Total energy kWh = 5405
Avg energy / Mile in Wh/m = 323

This month's data reflects cold weather driving and use of cabin heater, heated seats and steering wheel as well
as defrosters.

Range Mode OFF entire month and firmware an equal mix of 2.52.22 and 17.6.15

After 13 months of ownership here are my P90DL's numbers

Current Month March
Distance = 488 miles
Total energy kWh = 184.0
Avg energy / Mile in Wh/m = 377
Avg Temp 39.2 F (from TeslaFi)

Lifetime (13 Months)
Distance = 17,241 miles
Total energy kWh = 5581
Avg energy / Mile in Wh/m = 324

This month's data reflects cold weather driving and use of cabin heater, heated seats and steering wheel as well
as defrosters. Battery degradion since new is about 3% at 90% charge (241 new vs 234 now).

Range Mode OFF entire month and on firmware 17.6.15