Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lifetime supercharging?

Anyone else having there lifetime supercharging taken away?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I purchased a 2017 Model S from a private sale. It had unlimited supercharging according to Tesla prior to my purchase I also read all the posts and news articles regarding the new lifetime policy and my car definitely fit into that category.
Today, after owning the car for more than 3 months, I was charged for charging 8 times over the last week.
I phoned Tesla and was told that my car didn't qualify for lifetime supercharging because it was originally purchased using a referral code and referral codes lifetime charging is not transferable.
This doesn't seem correct at all. The only reason a referral code was used is the car was purchased just before Tesla made the final lifetime policy.
Someone there please tell me that this billing is a mistake, I love my Tesla but I'll sell it and sell my stock next week if this isn't corrected. This is a true care of bait and switch. I honestly believe that this is just a mistake made by the billing department.
PLEASE HELP!

Free lifetime Supercharging only transfers to the new owner if the car was ordered by the second week of 2017. After that, any free Supercharging is only for the original owner of the car. I don't think it is bait and switch because Tesla has said for the past year and a half that free Supercharging does not transfer to the new owner.

If you want free lifetime Supercharging, you need to either buy a new car and use a referral code or buy a car that was ordered before the third week of January 2017.

Your complaint shouldn't be with Tesla but with the previous owner who sold you the car and told you that you'd be getting free Supercharging. Had the previous owner gone to their My Tesla page, they could've easily seen that Supercharging would not transfer to the new owner.

I love my Tesla but I'll sell it and sell my stock next week if this isn't corrected. This is a true care of bait and switch. I honestly believe that this is just a mistake made by the billing department.
PLEASE HELP!

I've supercharged A LOT... I miiiight have saved ~$2k in SC fees over 5 years. That's ~$30/mo.... Free SC is a nice perk but it's really not that valuable.... especially as destination chargers become more plentiful.

Last edited:
I love my Tesla but I'll sell it and sell my stock next week if this isn't corrected.

Doesn't that just hurt you -- while having no effect at all on Tesla? Tesla doesn't buy back your vehicle or your stock. You'll take a huge hit on depreciation for your vehicle -- which is not even comparable to the nominal supercharging costs, and your Tesla stock will be bought by a third party -- not Tesla. Who knows what will happen from there but I'm TSLA long and it's been working out well for me -- but with what's going on with the trade wars, I should probably sell too!

It's not about the cost, it's about the integrity of the company. (I also don't patronize Starbucks)
Here's electek's articles:
Tesla has updated the terms for its “free for life” Supercharger policy, again, this time putting a deadline for unlimited Supercharging on future Model S or Model X purchases. According to the updated language found on the MyTesla page, first pointed out by redditor TeslaBargain, existing Model S and Model X owners are entitled to free, unlimited Supercharging on new Model S or Model X vehicles purchased before December 31, 2017.

So why the Tesla answer above? It looks like the deadline was changed to dec. 2017.

“You have free, unlimited Supercharging for your current Tesla vehicle as well as any new Model S or Model X purchased before December 31, 2017. If you choose to sell your current Tesla, free Supercharging will transfer to the next owner. In addition, up to five friends you refer will also receive free Supercharging. Read our Supercharging terms.” reads the updated terms on Tesla’s website.

It's not about the cost, it's about the integrity of the company. (I also don't patronize Starbucks)
Here's electek's articles:
Tesla has updated the terms for its “free for life” Supercharger policy, again, this time putting a deadline for unlimited Supercharging on future Model S or Model X purchases. According to the updated language found on the MyTesla page, first pointed out by redditor TeslaBargain, existing Model S and Model X owners are entitled to free, unlimited Supercharging on new Model S or Model X vehicles purchased before December 31, 2017.

So why the Tesla answer above? It looks like the deadline was changed to dec. 2017.

“You have free, unlimited Supercharging for your current Tesla vehicle as well as any new Model S or Model X purchased before December 31, 2017. If you choose to sell your current Tesla, free Supercharging will transfer to the next owner. In addition, up to five friends you refer will also receive free Supercharging. Read our Supercharging terms.” reads the updated terms on Tesla’s website.
That free, unlimited Supercharging if for previous/current owners and allowed them to get free Supercharging on any new car they purchase for the rest of the year. My Tesla page currently has a January 31, 2018 date (see below). That text has nothing to do with the transferability of free Supercharging when selling a used Tesla.

My car was purchased before January 15, 2017 so free Supercharging transfers to the new owner. Cars bought after that will have a message indicating it does not transfer to the next owner.
upload_2018-6-20_14-30-29.png

Doesn't that just hurt you -- while having no effect at all on Tesla? Tesla doesn't buy back your vehicle or your stock. You'll take a huge hit on depreciation for your vehicle -- which is not even comparable to the nominal supercharging costs, and your Tesla stock will be bought by a third party -- not Tesla. Who knows what will happen from there but I'm TSLA long and it's been working out well for me -- but with what's going on with the trade wars, I should probably sell too!
Doesn't hurt me at all. I sold my stick 15 joints ago at a profit of $47,.21 in each share.
Also, since I purchased my ms used, I can trade it in for an ice and not lose much, if any. Not that one voice matters much but I tend to tell everyone I know when I love a product or company and when I dislike a product or company.
You can love a product and have a terrible issue with the company. If you feel strongly enough about it then do something about it. In my case, selling my stock and dumping the car I love is walking the walk.

Doesn't hurt me at all. I sold my stick 15 joints ago at a profit of $47,.21 in each share.
Also, since I purchased my ms used, I can trade it in for an ice and not lose much, if any. Not that one voice matters much but I tend to tell everyone I know when I love a product or company and when I dislike a product or company.
You can love a product and have a terrible issue with the company. If you feel strongly enough about it then do something about it. In my case, selling my stock and dumping the car I love is walking the walk.
Sorry for the spell check errors above! Absolutely my fault! I sold my stock 20 minutes ago. :(

• Funny
Reactions: xyeahtony

If you are really true to that view, there are very few products you can buy. I wonder what electronic devices you are using to post here and if you looked into those company backgrounds, like Apple's Foxconn suicide nets for tortured employees? Or give me another brand and I'll tell you of other problems much worse than no free supercharging. These companies are run by humans and all have flaws. I'm not sure about your Starbucks reference but they sure seem to be tackling the bathroom/racism issue appropriately, at least in my view.

You have no privity of contract with Tesla so it doesn't really matter what they said to the owner you bought from.

In my case, selling my stock and dumping the car I love is walking the walk.

I see it as biting off your nose to spite your face, but to each their own. I do admire your conviction.

That free, unlimited Supercharging if for previous/current owners and allowed them to get free Supercharging on any new car they purchase for the rest of the year. My Tesla page currently has a January 31, 2018 date (see below). That text has nothing to do with the transferability of free Supercharging when selling a used Tesla.

My car was purchased before January 15, 2017 so free Supercharging transfers to the new owner. Cars bought after that will have a message indicating it does not transfer to the next owner.
View attachment 311249
I understand your webpage shows that. But read the article above. Add that to the fact that when I called Tesla with the vin, prior to my purchase, I was told that the free supercharging would transfer. Again, it's not necessarily the cost of the charging but the principle of it. I do the same thing with my choice of electronics, insurance, grocery stores, etc..

It says that Supercharging on their current cars will transfer, not on the new cars they purchase after that announcement.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
I understand your webpage shows that. But read the article above. Add that to the fact that when I called Tesla with the vin, prior to my purchase, I was told that the free supercharging would transfer. Again, it's not necessarily the cost of the charging but the principle of it. I do the same thing with my choice of electronics, insurance, grocery stores, etc..

As I mentioned before, the article above mentions free Supercharging available to current/previous owners who buy a new car. It doesn't mention the transfer of free Supercharging to purchasers of used Teslas. Now you are complaining about an article by Electrek. Try reading official Tesla announcements and you'll see it was clearly documented since January 2017 that free Supercharging does not transfer to the next owner.

I do the same thing with my choice of electronics, insurance, grocery stores, etc..

How is that even possible when there are no brands of electronics, insurance or grocery stores that have not done much worse things to people than removing promised free supercharging -- which itself seems in dispute according to the posts above -- but assuming for the sake of argument Tesla screwed you -- unless your test is only as it applies to you -- and not others -- which would be an odd test and not in accordance with your "Starbucks" comment. I actually tried to buy ethically and quickly gave up -- except for my stocks.

You are correct, there are many items that I own that I don't check the company's history. I make my own judgement when I view the quality of the item. A big portion of my decision comes when I need customer support of some kind. How much does the company value my business? How much is my continued loyalty worth to them? In this case, I feel that I'm being punished because I dare to make a purchase from outside the company.
Btw, my dissatisfaction began to percolate 2 months ago when a very annoying rattle began from somewhere in the front of the car. After 3 unsuccessful service visits, the answer is now it's inherent and normal. No more attempts to fix this issue will be made. This is a situation that I didn't agree with but because I like the car was willing to live with.

If you sell your Tesla and buy an ICE over YOUR misunderstanding of Supercharging terms, its you that is morally dubious. Driving an ICE car is poisoning the Earth. Doing that just because of your misunderstanding is cutting off your nose to spite your face.

How is that even possible when there are no brands of electronics, insurance or grocery stores that have not done much worse things to people than removing promised free supercharging -- which itself seems in dispute according to the posts above -- but assuming for the sake of argument Tesla screwed you -- unless your test is only as it applies to you -- and not others -- which would be an odd test and not in accordance with your "Starbucks" comment. I actually tried to buy ethically and quickly gave up -- except for my stocks.
You're correct, it's virtually impossible to be 100% true to your convictions. I don't care for much of Starbucks business decisions so I don't own their stock and i don't spend my money there. All I can do is proceed in a manner which only affects me. I'm not naive enough to believe that my one lone voice will make much of a difference. I'm not a Tesla basher, in fact I hope they slay the competition. It really gets my dander up when I see the daily news telling us how a Tesla battery caught on fire or a crash using fsd while playing with your phone. The slant always seems to be that Tesla is bad. Even though almost 1000 people per DAY are killed in auto accidents.
Ok rant off . :)

Reactions: Canuck
If you sell your Tesla and buy an ICE over YOUR misunderstanding of Supercharging terms, its you that is morally dubious. Driving an ICE car is poisoning the Earth. Doing that just because of your misunderstanding is cutting off your nose to spite your face.
I don't think ice vehicles are morally wrong. I think that they are certainly headed for extinction. There are so many things poisoning the earth, I agree. I may be acting impulsively and with a bias, but when a company treats me in a way I feel is unfair or uncaring, i do what i think is right for me. Again, i am a Tesla cheerleader but i cannot recommend the product again now that I've had issues that are dismissed by customer service.

• Disagree
Reactions: Helmuth
As I mentioned before, the article above mentions free Supercharging available to current/previous owners who buy a new car. It doesn't mention the transfer of free Supercharging to purchasers of used Teslas. Now you are complaining about an article by Electrek. Try reading official Tesla announcements and you'll see it was clearly documented since January 2017 that free Supercharging does not transfer to the next owner.
Lifetime supercharging is transferable. Except in the case where you purchase from a private party, and even then it almost always transfers. Thanks for your response, I appreciate all of you on the forums.