Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lifetime Wh/mi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am at 218/miles. What does it mean?

1600 Miles 19inch

218Wh/mi is pretty good, especially for the 19 inch wheels. The average among Model 3 owners seems to be in the 230-240Wh/mi range, so you’re below average so far. If you did a road trip and averaged 218Wh/mi you’d probably be able to get 330 miles or more on a fully charged battery.

I'm at 236 Wh/mi and 2005 miles. Majority highway. I use a lot of Autopilot but I find that I can get better efficiency when I drive manually, so I can probably get that number lower if I wanted to but pretty happy with staying below 240, which is roughly where you need to be to get the EPA rated mileage.

I'm at 236 Wh/mi and 2005 miles. Majority highway. I use a lot of Autopilot but I find that I can get better efficiency when I drive manually, so I can probably get that number lower if I wanted to but pretty happy with staying below 240, which is roughly where you need to be to get the EPA rated mileage.
Autopilot with Aero will get you the EPA rated mileage if you set a speed of 70mph or lower.

218Wh/mi is pretty good, especially for the 19 inch wheels. The average among Model 3 owners seems to be in the 230-240Wh/mi range, so you’re below average so far. If you did a road trip and averaged 218Wh/mi you’d probably be able to get 330 miles or more on a fully charged battery.
That’s cool. I have noticed driving through city gives me better efficiency. I only use break at stops. Autopilot similar to cruise will use more energy. I don’t have autopilot.

DD2DAE4E-E9BE-4974-82F4-A585CA454F48.jpeg

Mix of highway with traffic and city streets. Aero covers off. Some use of EAP. 222Wh/mile over my first 1000 miles.

Anyone know if this display is actual energy used (including vampire drain)?

@9erDog, the display is definitely NOT all actual energy used. Historically, Tesla does not advertise what goes into the energy listed on the display, but we do know that energy consumed while not driving (for example, A/C or vampire drain) is not included in the display/trip meter.

• Informative
Reactions: 9erDog

Not even close.
My in-car lifetime says 228 wH/mi average
But, pulling API data from the vehicle daily indicates 250.3 wH/mi average
Finally, if I go by my actual energy monitor, it's 278.5 wH/mi average

My guess is that the in-car is just the vehicle
The API includes above plus charging losses
The energy monitor includes above plus EVSE and wiring losses

Temperature, speed, headwinds, rain, road texture all have measurable effects. Testing my new M3 yielded 250 whrs/m at 93º F. zero wind, AC set at 73, level road at sea level. That's probably the optimum temperature as AC load increase cancels less air resistance at hotter, thinner air temperatures. Ten mph headwinds and tailwinds are -/+ 7.5%.

I'm @ 240 Wh/mi with 1700 miles on Aeros, with liberal use of AC.

This is amazing! Compared to my 2015 BMW i3 REX with its CRFP shell, pencil thin tires, small size, and low range I got an impressive 222 Wh/mi after 30k miles, but that was with stingy use of AC and only using seat warmers.

The Mod 3 doubles my i3's range while putting out zero emissions, seats +1, stores more than 1 large suit case, is faster, quicker, and roomier. Plus, it was cheaper than the BMW! Granted I got great lease incentives, but sticker to sticker, the Mod 3 still wins out.