Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lifted Model Y Owners: Report!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been putputting around on a set of 18" KO tires. They're doing just fine. Range is worse, I'm sure, but I never go far. The road has been pretty clear so I haven't needed the offroad tires yet. In late January, I'll just switch back to the Michelin all seasons.

Suspension is Ohlins RT at max height. That plus the oversized tires get the height to an acceptable level.

I like the look of the pu.labo kit, but not 12k let alone 15k worth of like. I think at around 8k, I'd jump on it, though. They just don't give enough info, though, like suspension travel and the like.

Reactions: Atraf
I pick up my '23 MYLR in Midnight Silver Metallic in three days! So excited. First new car I've purchased in about 12 years. I live in the mountains in Colorado on a dirt/mud/gravel road and am coming from a lifted 4runner on 33's. We get over 350" of snow a year and sometimes it takes a day until our road gets plowed after a storm, even with a foot of snow. This thread is amazing and has really help accelerate the research knowing what combinations will work. Thanks for all the MY owners that have been experimenting!

I have already ordered the MPP spacer lift and camber arms. About to pull the trigger on Method 502's. I used to own a WRX and want to build out my Y with a bit of a rally look to it. Nothing big, probably just the lift, mudflaps, and 502's with snow or A/Ts. If I go A/Ts I can try to run them all winter and summer and switch to stock Gemini's for range on road trips. If I do snow tires on the methods, then I'll have to run stock Gemini's all summer and road trips, which will look a bit silly with the lift. Still trying to decide on the best approach here. I'm sure the Y would just rail on true snow tires :)
Curious what you ended up doing. I just got my Y about a month ago. Learned a couple weeks ago I have summer tires on and they don’t go well on our winter roads. Thankfully car is in one piece. We want to do a lift and get tires but I have no clue what to get. We’ve only had lifted suvs with off road tires so having to swap tires seas only is new to me. Has anyone mentioned if the lift voids warranty? I’m shopping for winter tires now and considering maybe I should do the lift and tires all at the same time. Who did your lift?

I have to get snow tires but have contemplated getting a lift. We’ve only had lifted suvs and didn’t swap tires each season, this is all new to me. But since I need new tires I might as well do the lift and get the whole new setup.

Share your setup: lift, tires and feedback on drive and mileage.
Did doing the lift void warranty? Did a shop do or DIY? My son has put on his own lifts but want to know if using a shop is a must for any reason. Bonus if you’re in CO and know where to go to get the lift and tires and confident driving away all is good. Don’t want any rubbing issues as I don’t plan on cutting anything Iike the boys have done in other situations with their setups.

Is it realistic to ever think I’ll have a set up that works all year? My lifted Lexus with either toyos or nittos is my comfort zone will I ever get that with MY? My first snow experience wasn’t great but also found out it’s because MY has summer tires.

Hope to get some ideas of great setups so I can get it done before our next snow storm (oh wait that’s tomorrow).

Lifts don't void warranties. If Tesla can prove that the lift causes a part to fail, then that's on you. The burden is on Tesla.

You can run bigger tires at the stock height. AT tires on 18" rims.

People always think that magnusson moss protects them in this type of case, and sorry no it doesnt. That law is about parts engineered at the same specifications as OEM. You can check with any vendor that sells aftermarket suspensions and they will tell you the same thing.

If you buy suspension parts that are the same specs as OEM, THEN that law protects you. Introducing a lift, or drop, isnt same specs as new, so it doesnt protect you.

Curious what you ended up doing. I just got my Y about a month ago. Learned a couple weeks ago I have summer tires on and they don’t go well on our winter roads. Thankfully car is in one piece. We want to do a lift and get tires but I have no clue what to get. We’ve only had lifted suvs with off road tires so having to swap tires seas only is new to me. Has anyone mentioned if the lift voids warranty? I’m shopping for winter tires now and considering maybe I should do the lift and tires all at the same time. Who did your lift?
CrossClimate2 are in stock at your local Discount Tire. They are All Weather and will get you through a Colorado winter. A lift is really overkill unless you are off roading.

Reactions: Dave EV
Finally finished my project. 2023 Tesla Model Y Performance with

T Sportline Bull Bar
T Sportline 18" TS5 Wheel with 255/55/18 Falken Wildpeak tires
T Sportline Lift Kit
Rhino Rack Pioneer rack system
WeBoost Overland Cell Phone Booster
Baja Design XL Linkable Lights on Roof
Baja Design LP4 Lights on Bumper
Baja Design S2 Lights on rear roof rack system
Auxbeam front and rear switch panel controller

The range is unknown as I wasn't aiming for efficiency. Rides amazing on street, dirt and snow.

Attachments

• IMG_0388.JPG
    IMG_0388.JPG
    770 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_0390.JPG
    IMG_0390.JPG
    880.8 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_0391.JPG
    IMG_0391.JPG
    959.4 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_0392.JPG
    IMG_0392.JPG
    599.3 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_0393.JPG
    IMG_0393.JPG
    858.9 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_0394.JPG
    IMG_0394.JPG
    842.7 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_0395.JPG
    IMG_0395.JPG
    766.8 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_0396.JPG
    IMG_0396.JPG
    859.7 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_0398.JPG
    IMG_0398.JPG
    792.9 KB · Views: 76
This thread has been reassuring as I’ve just recently ordered our first setup for our 2023 MYLR 5 Seater. Have had the car less than a month and yesterday was the first experience in a very light coating of snow and was not left feeling confident. It goes great but the moment you take your foot off the accelerator I felt the rear end wanting to fish tail - had to really focus on my driving the rest of the ride.

We’ve purchased the MPP Lift Kit, rear camber arms, and skid plate. Getting quotes on install.

Then yesterday with the help of a member here - I ended up ordering a set of 18in wheels and tires. The wheels are Gear Off Road 18x8 with a 35 offset in a satin black - added the Hub Centric rings for any vibration - and went with the 255/55/r18 Falken A/T tires. This setup ran me about $1,750 (no mounting or balancing included)

Will be adding the wheels as soon as possible and then getting the lift kit installed once I get quotes back and install scheduled. We have two certified Tesla body shops in our area so options are limited but feel better knowing a Tesla certified shop will be doing the lift kit and alignment.

Will follow up as parts are installed.

Just got a set of the 18" Unplugged Performance Beadlock Off-road Wheels for my Model Y. I think I'm going to put on some Falken Wildpeak A/T Trail (255/55 R18) tires on them. I'm also running the UP Dirt and Snow Coilovers set to an extra 1" of ride height but I might adjust it higher (up to 3").

Does anyone here have any thoughts on which All Terrain tires to run on an EV? I know they'll be louder than regular EV tires but is there an A/T tire that's the most quiet relative to other A/T tires? I heard Toyo is making an EV specific A/T tire but they aren't going to be available until later this year.

Made a quick video here:

Planning to make a longer review video once I get them on my car and test them out.

Reactions: Atraf