Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lightning vs CyberTruck feature spreadsheet

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am keeping a spreadsheet comparing my Lightning Lariat to what we know about the Cybertruck. I purchased the Lightning fully intending to replace it with the CT once available but Ford did a damn good job on their first offering so I'm not so sure anymore. Hence the spreadsheet. I added weights based on what is important (to me) and scores based on my own judgement. Would love some feedback on any key features I am missing or any numbers I may have gotten wrong. I only tally the scores that have entries for both vehicles to keep it fair-ish. Also, I am certain there are already a few of these out there so any links to similar content would also be appreciated.

LIghtning vs Cybertruck

1682733834132.png

Having the ability to adjust the Regen to the taste of each individual driver is not a stupid idea. If you want heavy Regen, fine go for it.

I always turn mine to Low on the freeway for safety reasons. I want the car to coast rather than slow down hard so drivers behind be don’t crash into me do to slowing traffic. When set to Low the car reacts more like other cars around me when I’m off the accelerator pedal. Safer for me. Smart, not stupid.
Appreciate your perspective, though Tesla is going in the opposite direction. No way to change regen level any more.

Hmm. Maybe there is a middle ground. Keep the paddles (or some way to adjust regen in real time) but have a menu setting to always default to X on startup (high, low, etc). That way I would set the level in my profile and never touch it again while you could make changes while driving. What I don't want is something like those auto-stop systems on ICEs that I have to disable every time I start the car.

Reactions: TessP100D
Appreciate your perspective, though Tesla is going in the opposite direction. No way to change regen level any more.

Hmm. Maybe there is a middle ground. Keep the paddles (or some way to adjust regen in real time) but have a menu setting to always default to X on startup (high, low, etc). That way I would set the level in my profile and never touch it again while you could make changes while driving. What I don't want is something like those auto-stop systems on ICEs that I have to disable every time I start the car.
I understood that Tesla had taken away that option and I was of course disappointed. But I think I remember reading they were bring back that option. I could be wrong. I hope I’m right.

I like the adjustable regen. I always drive with max regen since it is very easy to smoothly manipulate.

At the moment though I am teaching my kids how to drive and I think building the muscle memory of transitioning to the brake pedal is very important for a young driver. I would worry that they would get too reliant on one pedal driving and be slower to react in an emergency.

I like the adjustable regen. I always drive with max regen since it is very easy to smoothly manipulate.

At the moment though I am teaching my kids how to drive and I think building the muscle memory of transitioning to the brake pedal is very important for a young driver. I would worry that they would get too reliant on one pedal driving and be slower to react in an emergency.
100% I would teach my kids to drive on something other than an ev. Especially because they most likely wouldn’t have their first car be an ev lol

The lightening is a great electrified machine. Especially for their first EV truck product. I had a chance to test drive one on two separate occasions and it's quite impressive. The build quality is great (so is the mach-e), both of which are far better than our Teslas.

Interesting spreadsheet for sure. One thing that I do highly question is Tesla's claim of the CT getting 500 miles. I think by now we Tesla owners know to subtract any range claims by a lot. Especially in cold weather. Unless one is hyper-miling their Tesla, the claimed range is a pipe dream. I don't think the real world range will be anywhere near what Tesla claims. To be fair, the same could apply for future EV trucks, but most others seem to get closer to the claimed range.

Dodge is bringing their A game to win it in this category so in my opinion, Ford is the least of worries for Tesla, at least by the time the CT launches. Watch out for Dodge.

I'm excited for the CT regardless and hope to have a winning ticket with my reservation as I got in pretty early. Exciting times in the EV space regardless....

if the Cybertruck comes out in volume in 2024 .. it is on the market with the Rivian / F150 Lightning / Silverado - Sierra EV ... and the RAM EV coming in 2025 and a 2nd gen F150 Lightning likely 2025 /2026 as well...

this is a pretty competitive environment and lots of solid options for the consumer (which is good)...

the very polarizing and "interesting" design of the Cybertruck will put it more into a niche (for better or worse) and it won't be the dominating EV truck like Tesla is with the Model 3 / Y (which have a very very pleasing design and don't polarize...)

2nd Gen Lightning is on the way along with a new 3 row SUV. Like I said, Dodge, Chevy, and Tesla have fell behind. Tesla has the advantage though, as they can put out a subpar “truck” and it will sell because the cult is strong

View attachment 940347

I think the 3 row full size SUV is where things are going to shine. America wants big practical SUVs that can haul a family, but we don't like paying for the gas lol. 8-10 MPG is outrageous with a lot of these big ICE SUVs when having to tow something.

Going EV with these huge SUVs is the answer, even at the current state of tech with what we see in the Lightening for example. At this point in time the Lightening and Rivian aren't practical for towing anything due to the short towing range; however, if we were to have a full size SUV like an Expedition sized beast for a family tank, it would totally work.

I had forgotten to mention the Chevy Silverado EV Truck! It looks very promising and when it comes to a true truck, it's between that and the new Dodge truck coming out for me.

The new KIA EV9 EV SUV is quite amazing that will offer a lot of practicality as a real family hauler, which I think will sell like hot cakes. It's in a class of it's own at the moment from a value perspective. The Rivian R1S is too expensive for the majority in this segment so the spread is pretty wide. As for the model X, it's quite small compared to a true SUV and let's not talk about the useless 3rd row lol. It's a joke.

You're right about the cult being strong for Tesla. Aside to that what Tesla has above all for now is the scalability to pump out these cars so either way the CT will do well.

I think the 3 row full size SUV is where things are going to shine. America wants big practical SUVs that can haul a family, but we don't like paying for the gas lol. 8-10 MPG is outrageous with a lot of these big ICE SUVs when having to tow something.

Going EV with these huge SUVs is the answer, even at the current state of tech with what we see in the Lightening for example. At this point in time the Lightening and Rivian aren't practical for towing anything due to the short towing range; however, if we were to have a full size SUV like an Expedition sized beast for a family tank, it would totally work.

I had forgotten to mention the Chevy Silverado EV Truck! It looks very promising and when it comes to a true truck, it's between that and the new Dodge truck coming out for me.

The new KIA EV9 EV SUV is quite amazing that will offer a lot of practicality as a real family hauler, which I think will sell like hot cakes. It's in a class of it's own at the moment from a value perspective. The Rivian R1S is too expensive for the majority in this segment so the spread is pretty wide. As for the model X, it's quite small compared to a true SUV and let's not talk about the useless 3rd row lol. It's a joke.

You're right about the cult being strong for Tesla. Aside to that what Tesla has above all for now is the scalability to pump out these cars so either way the CT will do well.
An Expedition EV would need 200kwh battery to go 300 miles and would take forever to charge.

Not sure how well that would do considering the potential cost.

funny how the average children per family have been steadily declining over the past decades to now just 1.9 ... yet vehicle size and large SUVs keep going up and up and up... the notion that with 2 children you need a Ford Expedition with 3 rows is absurd, laughable but also marketing well played by the Big 3 ... large SUVs are by far the most profitable car category there is. A *modestly* equipped Expedition / Suburban quickly approaches high $60s to mid $70s and for top trims $80+

An Expedition EV would need 200kwh battery to go 300 miles and would take forever to charge.

Not sure how well that would do considering the potential cost.

Fair enough, but a Lightening sized SUV would work today and wouldn't need a 200kwh battery. Sure it won't do 300 miles, but I think for most people who charge at home, the current range would be plenty. As battery tech advances, all the short comings will start to diminish and having a long range tank like a vehicle will no longer be an issue for when it comes to range.

Reactions: T3SLAROD
funny how the average children per family have been steadily declining over the past decades to now just 1.9 ... yet vehicle size and large SUVs keep going up and up and up... the notion that with 2 children you need a Ford Expedition with 3 rows is absurd, laughable but also marketing well played by the Big 3 ... large SUVs are by far the most profitable car category there is. A *modestly* equipped Expedition / Suburban quickly approaches high $60s to mid $70s and for top trims $80+

True and I get your point, but a need is different than a want. Not everyone has just 2 kids and the want for a larger vehicle isn't always determined by the amount of kids you have. There is a reason why the sedan class of cars fell off the roof, while CUVs and SUVs overtook in demand over the years.

Price wise yes of course it's not going to cost $30K to buy a large SUV, let alone an EV SUV, but you have to keep in mind that even the current ICE large SUVs top out in the rage of $80K, yet they're still being made and people are still buying them.

America might have to kick the addiction that hauling 2-4 people in an over 18 feet long vehicle, weighing 3 tons, is a sustainable transportation idea...

Fair point. This is where electrifying a larger vehicle solves the problem over having to spend hundreds to fill up a large tank. For most poeple with reasonable rates to charge at home, it's a no brainer.

People have different needs and wants in what they all want in a vehicle.

Just one more point. The reduced range towing is not a big deal for some (many?). It becomes an issue pulling that toy hauler to a remote vacation spot, but I do most towing in town (<150miles round trip). My Lightning doesn't quite make it for some of my trips (10,500lb high school band trailer to the more distant competitions) but it is close. If CT gets close to its promised range, it will be perfect for me.

Just one more point. The reduced range towing is not a big deal for some (many?). It becomes an issue pulling that toy hauler to a remote vacation spot, but I do most towing in town (<150miles round trip). My Lightning doesn't quite make it for some of my trips (10,500lb high school band trailer to the more distant competitions) but it is close. If CT gets close to its promised range, it will be perfect for me.
*if* ... and *if* the CT gets 500 miles EPA (which would requite a battery pack well in excess of the 180kw "max pack" for the R1T which is only assumed rated ~400 miles EPA or the 212 kw battery on the hummer EV with ~355 miles EPA) ... that Cybertruck with a ~200kw+ battery pack will likely be priced in six figure arena and at a minimum $30k+ than a F150 Lightning...

Reactions: TessP100D

Tesla does some jerkish things... The removing the ability to turn off regen is one of those things.

The other thing that I'm extremely unimpressed with is that they've removed the option to turn of automatic lane change w/ FSDb. (Which means it's going away in general...) It's certainly caused several close calls... and they really don't give a S@#T.

God forbid they allow us to configure the car in a manner we want...

Tesla does some jerkish things... The removing the ability to turn off regen is one of those things.

The other thing that I'm extremely unimpressed with is that they've removed the option to turn of automatic lane change w/ FSDb. (Which means it's going away in general...) It's certainly caused several close calls... and they really don't give a S@#T.

God forbid they allow us to configure the car in a manner we want...
Neither of those qualify as "jerkish", one is to improve range and another is FSD, not manually assisted driving.

• Disagree
Reactions: scottf200
*if* ... and *if* the CT gets 500 miles EPA (which would requite a battery pack well in excess of the 180kw "max pack" for the R1T which is only assumed rated ~400 miles EPA or the 212 kw battery on the hummer EV with ~355 miles EPA) ... that Cybertruck with a ~200kw+ battery pack will likely be priced in six figure arena and at a minimum $30k+ than a F150 Lightning...
Lightning platinum is about 102k so you think about 130k for the top Cybertruck?