Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Likely MCU Failure (MCU1 eMMC)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's not 'bricking', it's just that the screen doesn't work (and thus any associated functions). Just happened to me this past weekend; my car's flash memory seems to have died right after overnight downloading of V10 update (2014 Model S).

The software won't boot up, screen just perpetually shows the T logo. I can still drive, but can't control the heat or AC, music, etc. Some of the scroll wheel functions (like sunroof) will work one day, and then it won't the next. Taking it to the service center next week, but I'm pretty sure it's the eMMC. Wife won't let me download new software to her MX because she's afraid it will happen to hers as well.

It's not 'bricking', it's just that the screen doesn't work (and thus any associated functions). Just happened to me this past weekend; my car's flash memory seems to have died right after overnight downloading of V10 update (2014 Model S).

The software won't boot up, screen just perpetually shows the T logo. I can still drive, but can't control the heat or AC, music, etc. Some of the scroll wheel functions (like sunroof) will work one day, and then it won't the next. Taking it to the service center next week, but I'm pretty sure it's the eMMC. Wife won't let me download new software to her MX because she's afraid it will happen to hers as well.

Interesting. They say that the affected cars won’t charge either. Wondering if that is just miscommunication/telephone game...

Yes, lots of older Model S cars have this issue and it seems that unless something gets changed all of them will experience the issue. It's $2000 fix from Tesla, or a $400ish fix from third parties, but unless you live near one of the few third parties that know how to do the fix you'll have to get comfortable taking your dash apart to get at the MCU.

Elon tweeted that it should be "better from now on" but wk057 (one of the people that knows how to fix this) says it hasn't been fixed on any public firmwares yet.

Let's face it some of these cars cost upwards of 215k CDN brand new 4 years ago. Yes vehicles of this caliber price will require a large wallet to maintain after its 4-5 years old. Let's be honest. 1,200 US for a screen or 150 for a door handle assembly. Lots of used parts available online. Allot of DYI you tube videos on how to replace them with simple hand tools and a few hours... Jalopnik write ups are for trolls.

Let's look at a 5 yr old Mercedes diesel engine.... 35k CDN later...

Reactions: Akikiki and GSP

Ahh! I posted in another thread just this morning that my Model S had a hiccup of some sort when trying to install V10 (2019.32.12.1). The installation got to 60% and stalled there. Like you, I was able to drive the car, with no functions of the center screen. I posted, hoping that someone would have some experience with a software installation that stalled, but so far I have just one or two suggestions that it might be a failure of the flash memory, a failure I had not heard about until today.

What to do when a software update stalls or fails?

The phone still says "installing" tonight and shows status of 60%, some 20 hours or so after it began the install. I plan to go to the service center tomorrow to ask what i should do. Sadly, my car is 3 weeks out of warranty...!

Ahh! I posted in another thread just this morning that my Model S had a hiccup of some sort when trying to install V10 (2019.32.12.1). The installation got to 60% and stalled there. Like you, I was able to drive the car, with no functions of the center screen. I posted, hoping that someone would have some experience with a software installation that stalled, but so far I have just one or two suggestions that it might be a failure of the flash memory, a failure I had not heard about until today.

What to do when a software update stalls or fails?

The phone still says "installing" tonight and shows status of 60%, some 20 hours or so after it began the install. I plan to go to the service center tomorrow to ask what i should do. Sadly, my car is 3 weeks out of warranty...!

Sometimes if it's only a few weeks out of warranty they will still honor it.

• Helpful
Reactions: GSP and Jarvisd1015
I just saw this piece about the Model S having an issue with the flash memory after 4 years and pretty much shutting down completely. They paint it as a major, widespread issue. But I believe that if this was the case, we would have more people talking about it here, like with the yellow screen or faulty door handles.

Anybody experiencing this?

Worst Case Scenario For Older Teslas Coming To Fruition As Some Won't Charge And Screen Stops Working: Report
Mine just died in Sept. The car is a 2013 w/ 64.5k miles at the time.

Last edited:
Our 2012 S P85 had almost 100K miles when it was traded in last year in June 2018 - and we didn't see that issue.

However, because of the screen bubbling issue with the early MCU1 displays, the MCU/display had been replaced around 50K miles - so we may have been lucky not to encounter the flash memory problem because we didn't have an MCU1 long enough to encounter the problem.

My MS was seemingly dead after V10 upgrade, too. Both screens off, then instrument cluster booted up but the center screen was dark and unresponsive. I immediately thought eMMC failure after it did not seem to respond to a two wheel reboot. It came back after a while.

Flash RAM starts failing after a certain number of write cycles. The average driver drives an average number of miles per year and the RAM logs as average number of events so there is an average number of write cycles per year to the RAM and a MTTF but the TTF is random. It can happen earlier than 4 years or later than 4 years depending on how much you drive and how much logging was actually done.