Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Likely MCU Failure (MCU1 eMMC)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, streaming does cache on the eMMC. Here are some of the signs we have identified:
Signs of failure:

· Center display (MCU) is black and wont power on

· Bluetooth connection drops

· 3G/LTE connection lost frequently where signal should be good

· Maps drawing slow

· MCU unresponsive

· MCU reboot randomly

· Stuttering streaming music (cached on eMMC)

· Age, the eMMC has a finite amounts of writes available

Original chip is 8 Gig, We generally see pretty heavy wear in as little as 2-3 years. The write speeds on the eMMC slow drastically.

I had a couple instances of the cooling loop fans at the front of the car not shutting down correctly as well...

Hi all - I've browsed around this thread (not all 19 pages, however), looking for more details/instructions on what is required to address the eMMC issue. I gather that TonyT provides this service, but not clear on what is required to access the board(s) that need to be modified, what it costs, etc. Can someone point me in the right direction?

I have a 2014 S85, although no symptoms (yet).

Thanks!
Apparently Suh, you are not qualified...

• Disagree
Reactions: tomp
I've had a few people question about why I have not replaced my eMMC. The main reason is I want to see how long it will last. I have everything I need to rebuild it and can swap it in pretty quick. I like seeing if I can find all the issues the bad eMMC will cause.

I've currently determined my speed of my eMMC is down to 759 kB/s down form the 20M/s it should be. However I've only had a few stuck on black boots which a reboot of mcu fixed. It's really on its final breaths. And I have a friend who has had his on life support pretty much the last year. I kinda want to beat him ;) Sometimes I get a little competitive.

But the biggest reason is I want to see all the issues it causes so I can better identify failing ones sooner. As far as I can see, if you have a 2012-2014, there is no reason not to replace it now. Even the newer ones can be replaced, I've seen a 2017 chip I worked on already dead, so it does not take that much to wear them out. at 8G there is really not much extra space to wear. Also the updates are getting bigger and bigger pretty much every time.

How do you test the speed of your eMMC... are user-friendly diagnostic tools available?

I heard back from my advisor about my screen rendering issues. I have been passed around so many times I have no clue who is working on what. The first advisor said to do an LTE upgrade to fix the issue...the new advisor said advisor #1 was "going down several wrong paths". I knew that an LTE upgrade would do nothing to solve the problem but whatever...

So advisor #2 tells me the mother ship claims my screen rendering issues are due to excessive data usage from my browser. I tried to use teslawaze but, like everyone, I have an unusable browser. It has been on teslawaze in the background only but apparently is stressing the system. The freezes are reporting as crashes in the logs. Fremont's solution, stop using the browser.

I know my MCU is a ticking time bomb and was hoping they would actually repair or replace it. Leaving it on Google and never using the browser is a bandaid to a problem. I am warrantied until late 2021...my luck the bandaid works until right after the warranty expires.

I will admit, no screen gremlins since I pointed away from teslawaze...I will have the camera ready to capture the screen when it happens again

• Disagree
Reactions: cleverscreenam
I heard back from my advisor about my screen rendering issues. I have been passed around so many times I have no clue who is working on what. The first advisor said to do an LTE upgrade to fix the issue...the new advisor said advisor #1 was "going down several wrong paths". I knew that an LTE upgrade would do nothing to solve the problem but whatever...

So advisor #2 tells me the mother ship claims my screen rendering issues are due to excessive data usage from my browser. I tried to use teslawaze but, like everyone, I have an unusable browser. It has been on teslawaze in the background only but apparently is stressing the system. The freezes are reporting as crashes in the logs. Fremont's solution, stop using the browser.

I know my MCU is a ticking time bomb and was hoping they would actually repair or replace it. Leaving it on Google and never using the browser is a bandaid to a problem. I am warrantied until late 2021...my luck the bandaid works until right after the warranty expires.

I will admit, no screen gremlins since I pointed away from teslawaze...I will have the camera ready to capture the screen when it happens again

If you don't get repaired before your warranty expires, we can upgrade you. Hopefully you can get the new screen and replacement emmc before it runs out.

Soooooo...... 3rd MCU1 replacement currently in progress. Thank goodness for extended warranty, though still < 50k miles on original 2014 P85D.

Pattern of behavior on latest failure:
Poor LTE connectivity. Slacker and Spotify buffering
Occasional black screens requiring dual-thumbwheel salute on startup
Increasing number of “please wait while systems are powering up” messages

I’m wondering If 2nd MCU was refurb.

This has to be a design flaw exacerbated by undue logging and lack of understanding of how to use RAM disk...

if folk don’t have extended warranty, seriously consider backing up emmc. Cost out of warranty for mcu1 quoted as 2500$ !

• Helpful
Reactions: TonyT
Soooooo...... 3rd MCU1 replacement currently in progress. Thank goodness for extended warranty, though still < 50k miles on original 2014 P85D.

I’m wondering If 2nd MCU was refurb.

This has to be a design flaw exacerbated by undue logging and lack of understanding of how to use RAM disk...

if folk don’t have extended warranty, seriously consider backing up emmc. Cost out of warranty for mcu1 quoted as 2500$ !

AFAIK refurb mcu should have a new eMMC, however some may not last very long. One customer had a dead one in about 2 years, 2017 car.

Reactions: MikeBur
...if folk don’t have extended warranty, seriously consider backing up emmc...
Problem is even if you forgo software updates your certificates will still expire. Your backup will be no good. You need to replace the actual chip.

AFAIK refurb mcu should have a new eMMC, however some may not last very long. One customer had a dead one in about 2 years, 2017 car.
Tony might mean me. Dead in less than two years. Eighteen months later I am getting this on the replacement MCU1...
IMG_20191216_225249.jpg

It has been on teslawaze in the background only but apparently is stressing the system.

Oh... that's interesting... So the browser continues to try and load pages even when it's not working?? I gave up on the browser a while back too, after it kept crashing the whole screen every time I loaded it. But it's probably still defaulting to teslawaze too...

Assuming I can get it to open back up, they're recommending www.google.com as a safe place to decrease the background use?

Oh... that's interesting... So the browser continues to try and load pages even when it's not working?? I gave up on the browser a while back too, after it kept crashing the whole screen every time I loaded it. But it's probably still defaulting to teslawaze too...

Assuming I can get it to open back up, they're recommending www.google.com as a safe place to decrease the background use?

Interesting, yes I think Waze will load and run in background. I just reconnected it yesterday after not having it run for a while.

I don use Slacker or spotify but am experiencing the other two symptoms. My car only has 40k miles and is not yet 4 years old. :-(

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
I don use Slacker or spotify but am experiencing the other two symptoms. My car only has 40k miles and is not yet 4 years old. :-(

@TonyT had a more comprehensive list he posted earlier than mine which I hadn’t noticed. He’s a bit of a drive in SoCal, though you might want to seriously consider upgrading eMMC from him as a priority if you’re out of warranty...
Have you noticed any of the following:
· Center display (MCU) is black and wont power on
· Bluetooth connection drops
· 3G/LTE connection lost frequently where signal should be good
· Maps drawing slow
· MCU unresponsive
· MCU reboot randomly
· Stuttering streaming music (cached on eMMC)
· Age, the eMMC has a finite amounts of writes available

Reactions: Shadious
@TonyT had a more comprehensive list he posted earlier than mine which I hadn’t noticed. He’s a bit of a drive in SoCal, though you might want to seriously consider upgrading eMMC from him as a priority if you’re out of warranty...

I'm continuing to build my list, and have it on a document now. Looking to put it on a webpage soon. PM me your email address for the details.