Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

List of 120kW Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How can I find my battery type? I did see pictures of the label on another thread, but did not really understand how I can see it.
Having got the car in Dec 2013, is it possible that I have an old battery type that does not support 120kW charging?

There is answer up-thread for you, and I would add if you see two part numbers, look for the larger type (the smaller is the label part number, and depends on label type whether you have this printed). Also if you are so inclined, jam your smartphone up there and scan the QR code on the label. It will spit out the part number. Since I have a May delivery with A-type battery, anything is possible and I'd be interested in your results. At least they will tell you what to expect at any SC.

As was said above, ALL Superchargers were built as 120kw from day one. They were just software limited to 90kw. As we now know, some of the early cars cannot charge past 90kw even if the Supercharger software has been upgraded to allow for 120kw. Here's the label from the original Supercharger at Harris Ranch from October 2012.

Is that the case? While is see that's labeled as a "Supercharger 120," neither the input nor output current is rated to anything close to 120kW.

Input current: 160A @ 480V
Output voltage: 410V
Output current: 210A MAX CONTINUOUS

So output wattage is only labeled at 410V x 210A = 86kW continuous. So I'm a bit confused. Is it the case the initial 120kW charge is short enough before tapering to not count as "continuous"? Or are there indeed different version of the hardware?

1. Turn the steering wheel all the way to the left and peek in under the front wheel house on the passenger side. You should be able to spot a white label attached to the battery pack. If the serial number ends with "-A" then you have an old pack and are likely limited to 90kW.

2. Very very unlikely. If you do I would raise hell about it.

Thanks a lot. I have a type D. So I suppose that settles the issue of whether all SCs are 120kW from day 1. Since the SC at the Fremont factory certainly isn't.

- - - Updated - - -

... This thread may work better if you ask which SuperChargers only support 90kW.

True. I will switch the list to 90kW once this one grows long.

I am also a bit confused about the 120KW supercharger output shown on the data plate. The DC output clearly states that it is 210 amps at up to 410 volts. Therefore the output is a maximum of 86,100 watts. What the input current, voltage, etc. doesn't make any difference in the output calculation. DC is a "single" phase and power factor doesn't figure in DC circuits--its a straight volts X amps = watts problem. Assuming the input current listed is 160 amps per phase at 480 volts, then the 1.73 multiplier would be used to get the total effective current on the three phase circuit and the 132.864 KW (actually KVA) would be accurate for input power. This leads to another problem and that is that the charger would be grossly inefficient if those DC output numbers are correct--which is unlikely. If you assume that the total input amperage is 160, then the charger is more then 100% efficient--which isn't possible. Going back to the 132 KW input calculation and figuring in losses in the charger, it would appear that a 120 KW DC output would be possible with that much input power. So I guess I don't understand the data plate on the charger.

Another factor affecting rate of charge: Superchargers are wired in pairs. You'll get a faster charge if you occupy every other space rather than the adjacent spaces. (Eg. a charger with four spots w/two cars charging on slot 1 & 2 charge less rapidly than two cars charging in slots 1 & 3.) I was alerted to this by an astute model S owner at the Tejon Ranch Supercharger. I've confirmed this with of my contacts at Tesla: "You are correct about the Supercharger charging setup. I’m not aware of any sort of official documentation that we’ve provided for this, but it’s not something that we consider a secret. The slower rate of charging is due to how the transformers deliver power to each pylon. As a best practice, we suggest charging at every other spot, before filling in the spaces."

East Greenwich RI is a 120kw

I'm charging at 390 mi/hr!

Attachments

• IMG_20140208_154517.jpg
    IMG_20140208_154517.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 294
Hagerstown, MD SC supports 120kW charging

I charged at Hagerstown and Somerset this weekend and both support 120kW charging. I will say that the increased rate makes a pretty big difference. At Somerset I saw figures around 128kW but I didn't get a shot of it.

Hagerstown Charging.jpg

Charging in Hagerstown in the cold and snow.