Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Locking a Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had my car almost 2 months now but just sitting thinking, if I am driving and stop to pick someone up how do i unlock the passenger door to let them in? Never had to do it yet.

As others have mentioned, with the finer details

upload_2020-12-20_9-59-15.png

I often lock mine by tapping my phone below the drivers b pillar camera. It does work. I assume this is based on NFC but the interesting thing is I've never set it up as a physical key like the two keycards you get with it; only as a phone key using the Tesla App. Perhaps the App itself creates an NFC token on the phone at set up thus allowing you to tap it to lock/unlock like a keycard?

I often lock mine by tapping my phone below the drivers b pillar camera. It does work. I assume this is based on NFC but the interesting thing is I've never set it up as a physical key like the two keycards you get with it; only as a phone key using the Tesla App. Perhaps the App itself creates an NFC token on the phone at set up thus allowing you to tap it to lock/unlock like a keycard?

what type of phone? I’ve not read any references of this working.

I assume this is based on NFC but the interesting thing is I've never set it up as a physical key like the two keycards you get with it; only as a phone key using the Tesla App. Perhaps the App itself creates an NFC token on the phone at set up thus allowing you to tap it to lock/unlock like a keycard?

Yes, that is correct. There is nothing to set up, except that NFC must not be disabled. As long as the Tesla app is running (in the background), you can use the phone like a key card.

I have a related question... if my wife gets into the passenger seat when I'm not there, the screen doesn't switch on. Well, bizarrely, it's on when the door is open, but goes off again when it's closed.

Is there any way to turn the screen on if somebody walks up, unlocks the door and gets into the passenger side?

Not entirely sure whether this still works when somebody enters and sits down on the passenger seat, but it definitely works when a passenger already sits in the front passenger seat after the driver exited the car.

Use your hand to push down strongly on the driver seat. One short, but forceful push switches the screen on.