Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Locking in a price in anticipation of the Federal Tax Credit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It was fairly easy for me. My TA reached out to me shortly after placing the order in early December. I just emailed her and asked for my order to be placed on hold and gave her the reason. My account updated within a few hours with a "I'm ready" button. I've heard others aren't quite as a understanding to work with. Sounds like when you press your ready, you don't go to the back of the line, but you are placed for next available vehicle inventory.
I requested to have my LR order put on hold shortly after putting in the reservation (and completing the pre-delivery tasks such as inputting my info, method of payment, trade in yes/no, etc). Requested a hold until 2 Jan 2022, and a couple of days later the hold was reflected in my Tesla account. I didn't want to wait for a VIN to be assigned first as that would have started the 30 day clock and I wanted to make sure I would not take delivery until 2022. FWIW, my original EDD was 7-31 Dec before being placed on hold.

Has anyone heard of a case where someone's order that was placed on hold was assigned a VIN prior to them clicking "I'm ready"?

Dems just reduced the phase out thresholds in latest markup. “The credit is phased out by $200 for each $1,000 of the taxpayer’s modified adjusted gross income as exceeds $500,000 for married filing jointly, $375,000 for head of household, and $250,000 in any other case. For a given taxable year, the taxpayer may use modified adjusted gross income for that year or the immediately preceding year, whichever is lower.”

Dems just reduced the phase out thresholds in latest markup. “The credit is phased out by $200 for each $1,000 of the taxpayer’s modified adjusted gross income as exceeds $500,000 for married filing jointly, $375,000 for head of household, and $250,000 in any other case. For a given taxable year, the taxpayer may use modified adjusted gross income for that year or the immediately preceding year, whichever is lower.”

Do you have a source to cite for this? I saw they lowered the income but didn't see the info about using the preceding year. Thanks

Joining this thread since I also put my order on hold with anticipation of the EV tax credit. Here is my situation:

I ordered an M3LR on 10/23 and had an original EDD of 11/23-12/21. On 10/29 I contacted Tesla via chat (from the Tesla order webpage) and told them that I want to delay delivery until the end of the year because of the potential tax credit. Chat support told me that they took notice and that someone from Tesla support/sales will call me but the call never came. Nevertheless, a couple days later my order status changed to hold until December 31.

As a summary, I put the order on hold before my VIN was assigned and I did it via Tesla chat session. Hope this helps. I will provide an update on what happens once I unfreeze my hold.

Joining this thread since I also put my order on hold with anticipation of the EV tax credit. Here is my situation:

I ordered an M3LR on 10/23 and had an original EDD of 11/23-12/21. On 10/29 I contacted Tesla via chat (from the Tesla order webpage) and told them that I want to delay delivery until the end of the year because of the potential tax credit. Chat support told me that they took notice and that someone from Tesla support/sales will call me but the call never came. Nevertheless, a couple days later my order status changed to hold until December 31.

As a summary, I put the order on hold before my VIN was assigned and I did it via Tesla chat session. Hope this helps. I will provide an update on what happens once I unfreeze my hold.
I have a VIN assigned I see a lot of people putting a hold before getting a VIN once you release the hold isn’t going to take a while to get your car? Are there any benefits or are you just doing it because you don’t mind getting the car after January?

I have a VIN assigned I see a lot of people putting a hold before getting a VIN once you release the hold isn’t going to take a while to get your car? Are there any benefits or are you just doing it because you don’t mind getting the car after January?
I'm on hold until 12/31. I don't mind waiting to see if something gets passed by Congress. If not, I waited a few extra weeks. Not a big deal to me.

Reactions: t.e.s.l.a_dude
My current daily driver is in great shape, so I do not mind taking late delivery well into 2022. That's why I did not bother waiting for a VIN before putting the order on hold.

Reactions: alset3000
I took delivery of my new Tesla in September but placed another order a few days ago and it’s on hold till January. I’ll happily sell my brand new Tesla for another brand new Tesla and make $15,000 along the way 😀 if the government is going to continually stoke inflation got to make sure you get a piece of it😂

Reactions: alset3000
Anyone else find it stupid that the limit is $55K on the most efficient vehicles (ie, sedans/hatchbacks) and $80K on less efficient ones (trucks, vans and SUVs)?
If the goal is to make ineligible the top tier of luxury BEV vehicles, yeah, that's obviously too low. The M3P is still a mass-market car. I'd be interested to hear from anyone with insight into the legislative process that came up with $55k. Can't be arbitrary.

Anyone else find it stupid that the limit is $55K on the most efficient vehicles (ie, sedans/hatchbacks) and $80K on less efficient ones (trucks, vans and SUVs)?
Yes it's infuriating. The bill as written is the opposite of progressive. My guess is it's another handout for the "big 3" automakers, just like the union subsidy. They've focused their manufacturing and profits on SUVs and trucks, and I'm sure they plan to continue that with EVs.