Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Locking in a price in anticipation of the Federal Tax Credit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I went back and forth for a few days on this. My EDD is late November into December. I ended up deciding to to put my vehicle on hold until January. I'm in no hurry to get it and will be busy with work all December anyways. I'm willing to wait an extra 30 or so days to potentially save up to $8,000.
How did that process go for you? Do you know if you are holding delivery until January or will you be out back on the order queue in January. I’m also just worried about them raising the price significantly for anyone who doesn’t take order until after the new year.

I have to wait until next week to speak with my contact but I’d assume they will be getting a lot of request like this. I also know they try their best to fulfill as many deliveries before the new year for their sales numbers so it will be interesting to see how it goes.

Reactions: T3SLAROD
How did that process go for you? Do you know if you are holding delivery until January or will you be out back on the order queue in January. I’m also just worried about them raising the price significantly for anyone who doesn’t take order until after the new year.

I have to wait until next week to speak with my contact but I’d assume they will be getting a lot of request like this. I also know they try their best to fulfill as many deliveries before the new year for their sales numbers so it will be interesting to see how it goes.

It was fairly easy for me. My TA reached out to me shortly after placing the order in early December. I just emailed her and asked for my order to be placed on hold and gave her the reason. My account updated within a few hours with a "I'm ready" button. I've heard others aren't quite as a understanding to work with. Sounds like when you press your ready, you don't go to the back of the line, but you are placed for next available vehicle inventory.

Wanted to know your thoughts. The bill hasn’t passed but I don’t want to screw myself out of $7,500 if I order now (and $500/$2,500 extra based on whether the house or senate version passes).

Only the house version is retroactive to May 2021, but the other version is after December 31, 2021.

I ordered in April and put my order on hold for other reasons but I can’t put it on hold again. So I would have to cancel the order and re-order and then put that on hold to January 2022.

For reference my EDD for a white LR AWD is November 4th - December 1. Yesterday the EDD was October 31 - November 14.

Thoughts?

I currently have mid-range mode 3 and I want to upgrade to a LRM3.... they currently show Dec delivery online, should I wait until that shows Jan or later to take advantage of the EV credit (assuming it passed). That is, will it take effect at some retroactive date or Jan 1 2022 or other?

I currently have mid-range mode 3 and I want to upgrade to a LRM3.... they currently show Dec delivery online, should I wait until that shows Jan or later to take advantage of the EV credit (assuming it passed). That is, will it take effect at some retroactive date or Jan 1 2022 or other?
You can always defer your purchase if they give you an EDD before 12/31. Also, even if they say January it might come sooner. Mine originally said November and came near the end of September. You can bet that they will try to get as many cars delivered before quarter-end. So wait a while longer or order and defer.

You can always defer your purchase if they give you an EDD before 12/31. Also, even if they say January it might come sooner. Mine originally said November and came near the end of September. You can bet that they will try to get as many cars delivered before quarter-end. So wait a while longer or order and defer.
Hm. Yeah, I want to order to lock in before they raise prices again.

How does the the "defer" work? When I get a VIN, do I tell them then?

How can Tesla possible plan for future deliveries is everybody does what OP is asking. They build to demand, and if that demand is flakey they will end up with lots of extra work shuffleing deliveries for people gaming the system.

My EDD is December 22nd-31, I also told my SA I wouldn't be able to take delivery until January before placing my order and she said that would be fine. We shall see. Worse case scenario I have a new Tesla for my Bday and Christmas.

I ordered my M3 SR+ in September with an expected delivery of February. I timed it that way so I could get the new tax credits if they pass and hopefully get an LFP battery.

As directed by my sales associate, I reached out to Tesla (she didn’t respond to emails) to indicate that I wouldn’t take delivery until January. They said they would note it.

Today, I got an email saying my car is ready for delivery. Uh, ok. Called Tesla and they said I can only push out delivery for up to 30 days, so if I’m rematched in December, I’ll need to take delivery or lose my deposit, and replace my order (which means at a higher price for the car).

Has anyone else been able to navigate this and get a longer hold/delay? My sales associate is MIA and doesn’t return emails from myself or Tesla corporate according to them.

I ordered my M3 SR+ in September with an expected delivery of February. I timed it that way so I could get the new tax credits if they pass and hopefully get an LFP battery.

As directed by my sales associate, I reached out to Tesla (she didn’t respond to emails) to indicate that I wouldn’t take delivery until January. They said they would note it.

Today, I got an email saying my car is ready for delivery. Uh, ok. Called Tesla and they said I can only push out delivery for up to 30 days, so if I’m rematched in December, I’ll need to take delivery or lose my deposit, and replace my order (which means at a higher price for the car).

Has anyone else been able to navigate this and get a longer hold/delay? My sales associate is MIA and doesn’t return emails from myself or Tesla corporate according to them.

This post I will link below shows that the order agreement from tesla says exactly what your SA said (so no, there likely isnt much you can do).

Screen Shot 2021-11-07 at 6.17.04 PM.png

I said in the "another price increase" thread, that it was my opinion that tesla was going to do exactly this, and that people who think they are going to push their orders out until next year to try to double dip both the pre price raise pricing and the tax credit were likely in for a rude awakening, based on how tesla normally tries to get people to pick up cars by the end of a quarter / year.

In fact, because of this looming tax credit, and the fact so many have older orders, its my opinion that most people who are locked in with pre price raise orders will "magically" have cars available for delivery this year, and will be met with the same message from tesla, with no escalation point for exceptions.

No inside knowledge on this, just what I think tesla will do.

Reactions: ry-ballz

You should read the order agreement that you agreed to when you ordered your car.

30 days is the maximum you can delay delivery.

What was your EDD prior to being notified?