Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Locking in a price in anticipation of the Federal Tax Credit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Everyone I ordered on 11/11 and have a EDD as 12/21- 12/31 ( Fremont,Ca). Since I also want to get the EV credit and since I have not yet received any notice don't know what to do. I also have not received a contact for a SA? When does that happen?
You can send an email to [email protected] . You have the following two options:

1. Wait for your VIN to be assigned before putting a hold on your order
2. Put the hold before getting your VIN

Some prefer the one way or the other and there are apparently some pros/cons with both approaches. In my case, I am fine in getting the delivery delayed well into 2022, hence, I chose option 2 and delayed my order until 2022. Hope this helps.

Damn, that sucks for anyone that wanted to add FSD, then they find their price got jacked several thousand over $10k because the base price of their car reset to the current pricing.
If I am not mistaken, I think you can add or delete FSD once online in your configuration but afterwards, it is considered a configuration change and the new MSRP will apply. Best way I assume is to add it after delivery assuming the price stays at $10K for FSD.

Yes. There's also a good possibility you go to the back of the line on the new car
There is a possibility but not confirmed.

The wording of my hold (put before I got the VIN): You will then be notified when the next Model 3 with your configuration is available.

This sounds more like they have a pipeline of production and keep your place in the queue after the hold ends and get the next car with your configuration

Does anyone know the latest income limitations / phase outs?

I am M3P so probably can’t qualify on that alone, but might gamble delaying till 1/1 depending on income limits, although I really doubt I could qualify (I know, I know, sounds braggart and all + good problem to have but if I *could* save $7000 for a week delay that’s crazy to turn down), but more likely nothing will be passed by eoy and we’d have to keep delaying to find out…

The MP3 wouldn’t qualify for the new price limitation for sedans. It’s $54,000 I believe. The 3LR is over the limit depending on options. The MYP is getting close to being outside of the SUV limit of $74,000 if you get the FSD, same with the LR.

No telling if that will pass the final bill. I think the proposed used EV tax credit begins to phase out at $74,000 of income. That’s the last update that I read.

There is talk that it might be a point of sale discount as well. I don’t think it’s going to pass personally, Congress is pretty divided right now, and it will probably be stuck to a bunch of pork making it harder for people to agree on. 2022 is an election year. We’ll see. I hope they do, so in a couple more years I can take advantage of it. There are also some other EV coming I’m interested in.

There is talk that it might be a point of sale discount as well. I don’t think it’s going to pass personally, Congress is pretty divided right now, and it will probably be stuck to a bunch of pork making it harder for people to agree on. 2022 is an election year. We’ll see. I hope they do, so in a couple more years I can take advantage of it. There are also some other EV coming I’m interested in.
POS rebate wouldn't take effect until 2023, even if they pass a new credit by next month.

The proposed bill is actually ridiculously stupid. If they want to encourage people to buy EV, they shouldn’t cap income or the cost of the car, and especially used should get a discount too. The tax break becomes a way to interfere with MSRP, and competition between brands, and I don’t like that. But…not getting into to that here!

The one thing about going all EV, is we are a long way off that $2500 piece of crap EV that is a price point 50% of buyers need to afford a car. I don’t see that changing in 10 years. A tax credit doesn’t solve that. There are still places that I have to use my old Tundra to get to as well. That won’t change in 20 years!! No way some of the places I go fishing is going to have a charge station by 2040.

Has no one in this thread received one of these "take it or leave it" emails yet?
Tesla (TSLA) sends ultimatum to buyers who keep delaying deliveries

Its ENTIRELY possible that electrek article comes directly from what people have reported on TMC. They do that very often. In fact, that fact is one reason I wont pay too much attention to electrek in general, and is also a reason you will see a lot of longer term people here having "My words may not be used outside of TMC" verbiage in their signatures.

The most active discussion on this exact topic you are talking about here on TMC is in this following thread (where electrek likely got at least some of their information from).

Reactions: Jeremy3292