Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking for softer ride

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm currently driving a MS75D with air suspension while my Y is being repaired. All I can say is I REALLY wish they'd provide an option for the air suspension. It's not perfect, but it is so far and above better that what came on my Y. It's a good comparison driving the same roads back to back with the same loads (kiddos in the back seats) at the same speeds and gauging the difference. And to add insult to injury, the seats in the MS are much more supportive as well. :oops:

I replaced my stock tires with Bridgestone Quiet Trac tires. Ride is better. The new tires seems to have taken a lot of the sharp hits down to a much more acceptable level. I'm running them at 38 psig and it fells like i'm running them at about 30 psig. I had my daughter drive it yesterday in order to get her evaluation of how it rode compared to her Audi Q5. She felt my Y was now closer to the Q5 than before. So, some improvement but all purly subjective comparisons. Could of course just be taking the plecibo pill after spending a ton. But I will sell the take-offs to help offset some of that cost. Anyway, even if it's 100% plecibo, I'll take it.

Unplugged luxury coilover review and in car view on differences.

thanks. From the thumbnail (with his thumbs down) I was worried he didn’t think it helped much. But that is not the case.

tl;dw he said it helped a very noticeable amount — not 100%, but maybe 40-50% — and noted that no suspension is going to be 100% perfect over bumps. So a big improvement but probably not as much as air suspension, which is rumored to be coming from Tesla. He also said it drastically reduced body roll, which was an added bonus that he really appreciated. And he noted it’s very adjustable - both soft vs firm (e.g., for the track), and also ride height.

Last edited:
thanks. From the thumbnail (with his thumbs down) I was worried he didn’t think it helped much. But that is not the case.

tl;dw he said it helped a very noticeable amount — not 100%, but maybe 40-50% — and noted that no suspension is going to be 100% perfect over bumps. So a big improvement but probably not as much as air suspension, which is rumored to be coming from Tesla. He also said it drastically reduced body role, which was an added bonus that he really appreciated. And he noted it’s very adjustable - both soft vs firm (e.g., for the track), and also ride height.
Yeah the thumbnail is super deceiving but I’d thought I’d share since I came across it. The in car video towards the end looks like a pogo stick ride which most people experience. The softer spring rate and the dampening really looks drastically different. I’m sure with more “tuning” you can get it stable to where it does absorb everything. They’re 32 way adjustments and for the video I’m sure he didn’t have time to go through all of them to perfect it yet.

Last edited:
Yeah the thumbnail is super deceiving but I’d thought I’d share since I came across it. The in car video towards the end looks like a pogo stick ride which most people experience. The softer spring rate and the dampening really looks drastically different. I’m sure with more “tuning” you can get it stable to where it does absorb everything. They’re 32 way adjustments and for the video I’m sure he didn’t have time to go through all of them to perfect it yet.
Yea, he noted he had it 5 clicks from the softest setting and would likely move it up to stock height and the softest setting. That's what I would do as well

Reactions: TwoK4drSi

tl;dw he said it helped a very noticeable amount — not 100%, but maybe 40-50% — and noted that no suspension is going to be 100% perfect over bumps. So a big improvement but probably not as much as air suspension, which is rumored to be coming from Tesla. He also said it drastically reduced body roll, which was an added bonus that he really appreciated. And he noted it’s very adjustable - both soft vs firm (e.g., for the track), and also ride height.
Thanks for posting this.

Weird about the thumbnail hate. Says "BIGGEST FLAW" across the screen. It's biggest flaw can't an aftermarket part.

Anyway, great review. He's always very helpful. I'd be interested in a review of the comfort springs. Yet I'm most interested in the air suspension. I don't think I can buy this car without it. I'll keep waiting.

Unplugged Performance also offer these Mild Springs. I have a set that are due to be delivered soon. Once installed I'll post my results based on my precisely tuned and calibrated "Butt Meter".
I had the Unplugged Performance dual rate soft ride spring set installed Thursday. $300 to install and such an improvement. I drove home in Los Angeles on the rough freeways and local streets. This is the way it should be built in the factory. Soft yet firm with the dual rate kicking in. Highly recommended

I had the Unplugged Performance dual rate soft ride spring set installed Thursday. $300 to install and such an improvement. I drove home in Los Angeles on the rough freeways and local streets. This is the way it should be built in the factory. Soft yet firm with the dual rate kicking in. Highly recommended
Just to be clear...this is the stock height?

• Helpful
Reactions: same

Thank you for posting up your eval on the soft springs. Glad to hear they are a success.

why can't Tesla improve this cheap option to make their ride better. Only reason I am holding off is that I have tweak their cars like Android users.

why can't Tesla improve this cheap option to make their ride better. Only reason I am holding off is that I have tweak their cars like Android users.
BC Tesla is a software / battery company that has a car built around that concept. Legacy manuf are car companies trying to put software into cars. I’m sure you can see the difference. The question is can Tesla make cars like legacy manuf.

For now....trust in aftermarket companies bc Tesla isn’t gonna give you the hardware you want.

I sent a message about this to Unplugged Performance, waiting for them to reply. Re-reading their web page seems to suggest that it will go to stock height for the Performance, so a bit lower than the regular AWD (tried to find the exact number but couldn't). Almost certainly will get this.
It’s performance height which makes the most sense.
8320C24C-1E3F-4A6B-B18C-8CFE1C8B8DB2.jpeg

Reactions: frankvb
don’t believe there’s any camber adjustment on Model Y/3 so will become a problem especially for rear wheels (resulting in excessive tire wear) when car is lowered- LR to Performance height

personally have ordered MPP comfort adjustable coil-overs for my MY P and rear camber arms; they have black friday sale going on now.

don’t believe there’s any camber adjustment on Model Y/3 so will become a problem especially for rear wheels (resulting in excessive tire wear) when car is lowered- LR to Performance height

personally have ordered MPP comfort adjustable coil-overs for my MY P and rear camber arms; they have black friday sale going on now.
It’s like 10mm difference? That’s about .2 negative camber which is nothing.

It’s performance height which makes the most sense.
View attachment 610911

They must have updated their web page in the past few days, because this was not in the product description, so I called them and they said to me the height was LR stock height, not Performance. I didn't want to lower any more, but I also don't want to add the MPP 1.75" lift kit. I honestly can't tell the difference visually between pictures of a stealth Performance and LR from the naked eye, so.5 inches may not be much of a difference. He told me on the phone I should not need a realignment based on being stock-height...now I don't think he is correct. If there were .5 inch spacers, I'd be interested in going that route.

At this point, mine springs are already on order, and the trade off to get a softer ride is still worth it to me.

Reactions: frankvb