Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking Forward to the Model 3 Debut

How excited are you about the debut?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla Chief Technology Officer JB Straubel Discusses Model 3

• It has “next generation” Tesla tech.
  • It’s about the size of an Audi A4.
  • It will wow everyone with features.
  • Every EV component, from battery innards to electric motors, is quickly dropping in price.
  • Lithium is plentiful already, but could be extracted from ocean water in the future.

Some Straubel quotes from IHS Energy CERAWeek in Houston:
We don’t really need more performance, we don’t really need much more range, we need to focus on cost”
Expanding on costs outside the battery:
Basically every single part of that electric vehicle ecosystem is dropping substantially”

Hmm... What have happened here with Elon's "It will not have all the bells and whistles from the Model S"? Or is Elon taking about the bare-bone version and JB about the maxed out version?

If you put Tesla autopilot hardware into a smart car, you'd have a $14k car more advanced than most anything out there thanks to maybe $500-$1000 worth of hardware powered by amazing software.

It's not mutually exclusive, I don't think.

Hmm... What have happened here with Elon's "It will not have all the bells and whistles from the Model S"? Or is Elon taking about the bare-bone version and JB about the maxed out version?

I would assume you are correct and that Elon is talking about the base model and JB is talking about all the options available. Thats pretty common, I think, in the automotive world to show all the cool fully loaded options on the prototype.

Size of an Audi A4, though. That would be great - I really like that sized car.

No wonder it wasn't on my radar...
Sorry, I forgot about that until your response popped up. I was considering buying one in VT (I live in NH, no VT sales tax to non-resident purchasers, unlike MA, who nails everyone). I'm sure you could find a dealer in a CARB state willing to make a sale and ship to/register in a non-CARB. Leasing, probably not. Service would probably be a problem in TX

Isn't the new Volt a 5 seater? Here's your list of evs: Compare Electric Cars

OK, time to obsess over numbers! Here are the specs for an Audi A4:

A4.JPG

And suddenly the Audi A4 becomes one of the most searched images on Google...
I didn't google the image (yet) but did google the dimensions. 5" wider and 11" than my Prius--I sure hope autopark is available! I have to make a sharp right turn through a pair of brick pillars and then in to the garage door. (The association is talking about restructuring the traffic splitter behind my unit, which would then give me a straight shot in, but it could be a while.)

I didn't google the image (yet) but did google the dimensions. 5" wider and 11" than my Prius--I sure hope autopark is available! I have to make a sharp right turn through a pair of brick pillars and then in to the garage door. (The association is talking about restructuring the traffic splitter behind my unit, which would then give me a straight shot in, but it could be a while.)
35k vs 15k new volt vs used leaf

No, it's 5" less wide (72.5 versus 77.3). If a width measurement doesn't specify, it generally always mirrors folded width.
Hmmm...

So as far as the Model S, my mirrors are ALWAYS OUT when I pull in and out of the garage. That's 86.2 inches. Have you ever tried backing out of a garage with no side-view mirrors? Adds another layer of complexity that I'd rather not risk with an $80K car.

Regarding the Audi, I can only assume they're talking about full vehicle width, including everything that sticks forward, back, up, or out to the side. Including mirrors. To say a car is X inches wide, but that's not the width it needs to be when operating, that would be completely inaccurate and misleading. I'm sticking with 72.5 inches width for the Audi with mirrors out unless it specifies differently.

86.2" to 72.5" is 14-ish.

But that's just me.

Hmmm...

So as far as the Model S, my mirrors are ALWAYS OUT when I pull in and out of the garage. That's 86.2 inches. Have you ever tried backing out of a garage with no side-view mirrors? Adds another layer of complexity that I'd rather not risk with an $80K car.

Regarding the Audi, I can only assume they're talking about full vehicle width, including everything that sticks forward, back, up, or out to the side. Including mirrors. To say a car is X inches wide, but that's not the width it needs to be when operating, that would be completely inaccurate and misleading. I'm sticking with 72.5 inches width for the Audi with mirrors out unless it specifies differently.

86.2" to 72.5" is 14-ish.

But that's just me.

I suppose you can believe whatever delusions you choose to believe, but the Audi A4 is 72.5" wide with the mirrors folded, it's 79.6" wide with the mirrors extended:

Audi-A4-Saloon-dimensions.jpg

I suppose you can believe whatever delusions you choose to believe, but the Audi A4 is 72.5" wide with the mirrors folded, it's 79.6" wide with the mirrors extended:
It looks like the 72.5 is the width of the car body only, mirrors completely excluded. So with the mirrors out it's 86.2 - 79.6 = 6.6 inches difference.

What gets me is that Tesla posts the width as including the mirrors, then caveats the width with the mirrors folded. Audi gives the width as "pretend we don't have mirrors". Not that any of this really matters in the grand scheme of things (where the Model 3 is concerned, anyway).

I may not have been right, but I like my delusions just fine, thank you! :tongue:

Last edited:
It looks like the 72.5 is the width of the car body only, mirrors completely excluded. So with the mirrors out it's 86.2 - 79.6 = 6.6 inches difference.

What gets me is that Tesla posts the width as including the mirrors, then caveats the width with the mirrors folded. Audi give the width as "pretend we don't have mirrors". Not that any of this really matters in the grand scheme of things (where the Model 3 is concerned, anyway).

I may not have been right, but I like my delusions just fine, thank you! :tongue:

I find it really annoying that pretty much all manufacturers only quote widths not including mirrors. Tesla is about the only one that prominently publishes both figures, but I suppose I've also gotten annoyed correcting all the posts overs the years comparing the Model S width with mirrors to other cars without mirrors (or mirrors folded, I believe in most cars the folded mirrors don't stick out past the widest point of the body).