Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Loud sound after BT audio

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have this strange audio issue for as long as I’ve had the car (September build). It has persisted through all the software updates — am currently on 46.x. The music audio from either FM radio or Slack is incredibly loud for a split second upon resume after a BT audio notification from the phone (e.g. Waze notification, a phone call, etc.).

Have performed the two reboot procedures to no avail. Anyone else?

Reactions: AdamMacDon
While driving, I normally listen to audio books on my phone via BlueTooth. If I finish a book, I'll switch to FM radio - which plays very loud. It's not just momentary, though. I have to reduce the volume a lot (by 8 or 10 clicks on the left hand steering wheel control) before it's comfortable. The next time I try to listen via BlueTooth, I get nothing - until I remember to increase the volume by that amount. Definitely not a good user experience.

I realize the sound level via BT also depends on the volume set on the phone. I have a Samsung Galaxy S7 running Android 8.0.0 (Oreo). If I am not listening via BT, I am usually using earphones, and have the volume set just below the level where it warns about hearing damage. So I would not consider that a low level. Maybe iPhones have really inefficient earphones, so they use much higher volumes, and the M3 expects that high level from any phone. Regardless, I wish Tesla offered a configuration parameter to adjust the relative level of the radio and BlueTooth sources. (I haven't tried Slack.)

If your Bluetooth audio is the same volume as what it switches back to it does not happen, seems to be if you are on a phone call and your call audio is set to say 80%, when it returns to music you get that second of 80% loud music before it returns to your previous volume. I'm sure they can fix this by just adding a bit of delay in the switching of sources.

I use a Dutch app called ‘Flitsmeister’ that emulates a phonecall to let me know there is a speedcam. The only way i can hear the audio over the car speakers. After each message, the volume spikes very loud for 1 second.

Why is this not solved after 2 years??