Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lowering the Model 3

MoreAgain

Nov 23, 2018
San Diego
I agree, for pure performance, my recommendation would be a full coil-over with adjustable dampners as well as sway bars. I bought these solely for looks as I felt the car looked hideous for the class of performance.

I don't have experience with non-Performance models, I have to imagine the springs have a more significant performance advantage (albeit not world changing) on those cars than Performance models.

On the RWD, I found that the ~1" drop of the UP Mild springs resulted in a noticeable reduction in body roll. Coil-overs would certainly be better, but for $700 installed, the springs were a good bang for the buck for both aesthetics and performance.

20190811_141230.jpg

20190811_141831.jpg

Lucy903

Oct 18, 2018
NO, PROFESSIONAL SHOPS ARE NOT grinding down the holes. It is not necessary. Why would you create a permanent tamper of the car? That is definitely one way to void your suspension warranty since you are permanently creating signs of tampering.

For you DIY’ers out there, please do yourselves a favor and DO NOT Grind down the holes. You also DO NOT need a thin walled socket.

All you need to do is remove the two 15mm bolts and 2 13mm bolts and remove the entire strut assembly along with the top control arm (again as a complete assembly).

It doesn’t take any additional time or effort for this. While I applaud the diy efforts, please research beforehand.
Excellent suggestion. I saw Rich Rebuild did this method on YouTube. Btw aren’t all these 4 bolts same sizes? You mentioned 2 15mm & 2 13mm. Correct me if I’m wrong. Thanks.

victorlukito

Sep 18, 2019
San Jose, CA
yupppp i have a Midrange and i have the same issue. i would love to have a 1" drop but it's not available to us!
I'm also looking for that sweet spot of 1" for my SR+. Guess we'll have to add those unused weights sitting in the garage. I'd say 45 lbs in the trunk and another in the frunk? Kidding.. or maybe not :D

Gator Rican

Nov 5, 2018
Florida
Smaller battery means lighter weight so the drop would be less

I am a mid-range owner myself. I can't recall which one of these is correct but:

1. we either have the same battery as the SR/SR+ and it is software limited for those models OR
2. we have the same battery as the LR and we are software limited

Last edited:

Burrito

Apr 29, 2019
New jersey
Too is before, bottom is after. I tried to keep perspective equal.

the wheels are vorstieners 107s but they are similarish to the newer genesis wheels.

in have a lr awd
A few questions:
Is that a before and after picture of the drop?
Are those wheels - Genesis? How/where did you get them?
Is your M3 a LR, Mid-range or...?

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC