Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LR model range being undersold and more!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla could be underselling Model 3’s range and charging capacity, reveals EPA document

"In the case of the Model 3, the document reveals that the vehicle achieved an EPA-cycle range of 334 miles (537 km), but Tesla asked the EPA to lower the official range to 310 miles."

AND

“The vehicle is also capable of accepting DC current up to 525A from an off‐board charger (Supercharger)”

AND

“The self‐discharge rate of the battery is likely to be less than 4% per month.”

JUST TAKE MY MONEY!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Electrek gets all the juicy news and tidbits first ahead of anyone else about Tesla, that I am reading more from Electrek nowadays then all other outlets combined for my Tesla fix (outside of TMC)

“The self‐discharge rate of the battery is likely to be less than 4% per month.”

This is probably under no load conditions. Vampire drain seen in Model S/X are due to the consumption by the systems that are running when the care is idle. So expect the vampire drain in M3 to be much higher than 4% per month. It should be comparable to that of S, may be a tad less

Last edited by a moderator:
Range is not being "undersold". The very small percentage of extra range is "wiggle room". In older EVs this was done with unreported spare capacity. A model 3 LR needs to show >= 310 range at 100% charge for a while after purchase.

We seem to be entering a new period of over-hyping the model 3. Let's keep wild conjecture where it belongs: The hidden model 3 HUD.

Range is not being "undersold". The very small percentage of extra range is "wiggle room". In older EVs this was done with unreported spare capacity. A model 3 LR needs to show >= 310 range at 100% charge for a while after purchase.

We seem to be entering a new period of over-hyping the model 3. Let's keep wild conjecture where it belongs: The hidden model 3 HUD.
I’m with you.
All this hyperventilating about underselling range is just more people who will scream disappointment when it turns out to be exactly what’s printed on the tin.

• Disagree
Reactions: kbM3

Voluntarily underreporting the official EPA test results range is a fundamentally different thing than having an *unusable* battery SOC buffer that doesn’t factor into the EPA tests anyway.

And idk if I’d call 8% a “very small percentage”, especially when the absolute value difference of 24 miles is quite significant.

Reactions: PaulJB and zmarty
Tesla could be underselling Model 3’s range and charging capacity, reveals EPA document

"In the case of the Model 3, the document reveals that the vehicle achieved an EPA-cycle range of 334 miles (537 km), but Tesla asked the EPA to lower the official range to 310 miles."

AND

“The vehicle is also capable of accepting DC current up to 525A from an off‐board charger (Supercharger)”

AND

JUST TAKE MY MONEY!!!

No kidding. Everyone, focus on the HUD speculation.

BTW, I read on the internet model 3 deliveries are being delayed because they're retrofitting the 1,200 units already produced with HUDs. Apparently, there was so much outrage from the first round of owners that Elon directed Tesla to accelerate HUD implementation.

That was fun, let's see where this goes. :cool:

I agree.

310/334 ~= 92.8144%.

However, based on the previous doc the easy highway test gave a range of 454.64 miles, and then the fudge multiplier 0.7 gives 318.25.
310/318.25 ~= 97.4%.

That allows for the early degradation.

It might look like 8 to 12 pins on the handicap but I don't think that Tesla's doing anything sneaky.

I don't see it as underreporting, but rather Tesla picking a range that will be obtainable in more than just ideal conditions. Some people will be buying these in winter, so imaging picking one up with a stated 310 miles of range, to find that you only get 280. While us electric car enthusiasts might be aware of environmental factors, the average joe they're targeting with a mass market vehicle may not be.

C'mon.... we all know that Tesla will be providing two HUD's (one for the passenger). Saves money when producing RH drives.

However, the dual-HUD will be SW restricted to a single display depending upon the geographic area you are driving in. I suspect a future FW update will enable the secondary HUD for about $2K or in the event of a mass migration due to hurricanes.

• Funny
Reactions: smartypnz
As even more people are getting carried away with the self-hype of this doc (thanks Electrek), its worth remembering the source.
EPA ratings are not real world, they are calculated from dyno results and making calculated allowances for aero factors - definitely not road testing.
Yes, it will likely be possible to get more than 310 miles
However, it's just as likely that a great many people will get much less than 310.

To characterize this as a secret Tesla underselling program is just imposing our own fantasies about this car and its super powers - just like the HUD debacle.