Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LR RWD owners - would you have ordered MR?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At first I was kind of bummed when I saw the mid range come out, but knowing I got 50 more miles of range and half a second faster 0-60 acceleration, I am happy with paying the $5k extra. I think I would still have gone with the LR-RWD if both options were available at the time.

What do you think?

I would have gone Mid Range RWD for both of my cars knowing what I know now. RWD is fun to drive and the 200 mile daily range is good enough. Everything else is overkill. If you know you can get it by end of the year, I would pull the trigger and buy the mid range RWD ASAP.

Range is king. Having said that, if the price differential is make or break, then obviously the MR is a great option. I'm very happy with my LR RWD, especially in light of winter range loss.
Ludatik - Any concerns with RWD in the Snow - I am in the North and think I NEED AWD but is that a bit of a myth - good snow tires and heavy battery will do the trick? I have a 50 mile freeway and dodgy rural road daily journey - thoughts/
I just wish they had the standard interior - I dont mind paying for the LR or AWD but $9k on the interior would not be my first choice.

Ludatik - Any concerns with RWD in the Snow - I am in the North and think I NEED AWD but is that a bit of a myth - good snow tires and heavy battery will do the trick? I have a 50 mile freeway and dodgy rural road daily journey - thoughts/
I just wish they had the standard interior - I dont mind paying for the LR or AWD but $9k on the interior would not be my first choice.

I can’t say from experience because this will be my first winter. From reading, I’m anticipating ~30% range loss in very cold temperatures. I will be putting on winter tires for sure and hoping that the equal weight distribution negates the effects of RWD. If you can swing AWD, that is probably the best way to go (still with winter tires). The Premium Upgrade Package that you’re currently forced to buy is valued at $6,600, not $9k, unless I’m misunderstanding your point. I agree that it seems expensive for what it is.

• Helpful
Reactions: Ingham
At first I was kind of bummed when I saw the mid range come out, but knowing I got 50 more miles of range and half a second faster 0-60 acceleration, I am happy with paying the $5k extra. I think I would still have gone with the LR-RWD if both options were available at the time.

What do you think?

What's the point of these posts? Will there be one after every new config/model? :rolleyes:

• Funny
Reactions: GaryC and Deal
One thing to consider is the MR might be someone's secondary Tesla or even second Model 3.

Many households with multiple cars.

SR would have been totally fine, but its not a massive step now with MR for before end of year delivery.

Reactions: P85_DA
If both were available from the get go, I would have absolutely ordered the MR (I would have ordered the SR).

I’m in NJ, so I’d be hesitant to say I’d be getting the full $7,500 if I ordered the MR now - one little hiccup in the eight week delivery process and I’m at $3,750 - so I have no regrets.

Would be fun to keep the same purchase price as my LR RWD ($49k), but get there with autopilot, or some other options like colors or the sport wheels. Would miss the extra performance though.

I am very glad that I got my 3LR in July and didn't have to weigh LR vs. MR. I certainly would have been tempted to save $4,000, but there's little question in my mind that the LR is the best value among all the Model 3s, and I expect that I will find the extra range useful often enough that it makes sense for me to have bought it.

Reactions: insaneoctane
I am would choose LR over MR any day. With the increases in paint color and delivery fee the new MR would save me $3300 relative to what I paid.

For that saving I would be giving up stated range of 50 mi (which IMHO is more like 60+ mi in real world), faster acceleration, and more importantly the loss of range over time from a lower base (Tesla estimates range loss of about 3%+ a year). Not to mention larger battery gives me lot more flexibility on charging time and place on trips -- LR in real world has about the same range and trip flexibility as S100D with shorter charging time. Cheap to get all that for a modest amount upfront. LR was best value and my July build throw blind luck was when they had worked out most of the early production quality kinks.