Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lte in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Whilst at St Leonards SC the other day I noticed that a new VIN99*** Model X had Lte connectivity.

What is the upgrade path for those of us on 3G? I was under the impression it was a sim/contractual arrangement between Tesla and Telstra that "blessed" us with 3G.
20180705_150038.jpg

From what I can piece together, older MCU's have 3G hardware only and newer MCU's (not sure what constitues "new" in this case), have 4G hardware but are restricted by a Telstra 3G SIM.

So older cars will need the MCU replaced, but newer ones just need a sim card swap. I emailed Tesla Sydney last week about it and they had this to say:

"4G compatible Touchscreens will be able to purchase as an upgrade but has not yet been released yet, not even the pricing."

Apparently in Norway, the telco(Telenor) that provides connectivity to Teslas over there are turning off their 3G network, leaving 2G/edge & LTE or WiFi, Bjorn says Tesla can supply a LTE module to replace the 3G modules in earlier cars.
I know Telstra have already turned off their 2G network.

From what I can piece together, older MCU's have 3G hardware only and newer MCU's (not sure what constitues "new" in this case), have 4G hardware but are restricted by a Telstra 3G SIM.

So older cars will need the MCU replaced, but newer ones just need a sim card swap. I emailed Tesla Sydney last week about it and they had this to say:

"4G compatible Touchscreens will be able to purchase as an upgrade but has not yet been released yet, not even the pricing."
Not the MCU, there's a separate module for the 3G/4G that can be swapped at a cost. And yes it seems current deliveries are going out with 4G-enabled SIMs so something has changed recently.

Anyone with LTE enabled and have experience with 3G that can comment? I was considering the upgrade, Olivier/Nick eluded it was coming/possible but couldn't give me details at the time (this was about 6 months ago that I asked).

Given the cars couldn't easily outlast the 3G life span I am sure the units are upgradable. Whilst I don't expect 3G to be turned off any time soon I was considering upgrading to LTE if it is vastly improved.....keen to know anyone ones experience that's in the know....

I’ve just been involved in the 2G shutdown, so I’d say the 3G has around 5-7 years left.
Not sure what the benefit of 4G will be for us without the browser.
Pretty sure the slow map tiles and flaky streaming is more to do with software/hardware than download speed.

I don’t expect much, if any better performance with 4G unless you are in an area without 3G. This is based on me using Wifi when parked in my garage - the speed improvement isn’t noticeable at all. I have a 100Mbps internet connection in the garage.

This may change if the 4G network is expanded and gets better coverage.

I don’t expect much, if any better performance with 4G unless you are in an area without 3G. This is based on me using Wifi when parked in my garage - the speed improvement isn’t noticeable at all. I have a 100Mbps internet connection in the garage.

This may change if the 4G network is expanded and gets better coverage.

Just FYI, Tesla only uses 802.11 b/g, so that will also be limiting your wifi speeds to an absolute best of only half of your internet connection (b rated to max 11Mbps and g rated to a max of 54Mbps) of 100Mbps. Not to mention the wifi antenna in Teslas is also awful.

Given 3G coverage in geographic terms is much larger (99.5% population is close to 2.5m sqkms) whereas 4G is at 99.0% (around 1.6m sqkms), and the speed difference is immaterial for the purposes the Tesla currently uses it for, I can't see why anyone would pay to upgrade). The only use case right now is a 4G only coverage area that you use often - eg where you park (v. rare as I understand it). Btw, I just did a speed test and real world get 14mbps download on 4G and 11 Mbps on 3G, so immaterial for most of the time anyway even if an application needed an extra few Mbps. What would change it for me is if the browser ever gets enabled when the car is in Park (something Tesla should do and with unlimited plans now entering the Aust market, the old arguments about pricing of data should cease to be the issue they once were) as then one thing where 4G should help -and 5G even more - is to stream video). Otherwise, 3G more than does the job and until we are at autonomous Vehicle to Vehicle (where we'll need 5G for the latency), it really shouldn't matter to any of us from a driving perspective.

However, for lower latency (not speed) is what I would assume would make a big difference especially when using Maps etc.

See what I read and why I thought LTE may be quicker:

https://www.quora.com/How-4G-has-less-latency-than-3g

1) LTE typically has higher data rate. All things being equal, faster data = lower latency

2) Things are not equal, 3G is essentially a circuit switched architecture. HSPA adds an always on packet switched layer, buts:
  • CS was desifgned for voice. It is OK to take a few seconds to set up a call (session) because a voice call last minutes. But for data you set up and tear down sessions much more often & faster. But 3G stacks and architecture were never designed to be low latency: that just was not a priority.
    So 3G = latency was no big deal
    LTE = low latency was a key, priority, design requirtement
  • 3G is a hugely complex, kludgy, multi-later architrecture with lots of nodes and lots of parallel strands.
    voice, CS data, PS daa, HSPA etc - all interacxting
    Node B, RNC, packet core =- all interacting
    In contrast, LTE (while very compex) has a"flat architecture" and a much more optimized stack. It is IP, only IP and everything is IP.

• Informative
Reactions: Shock-On-T
I just tested 4G via an iPhone and it did 40Mbps, is your low speed result a time-of-day thing perhaps?
It will vary depending on location and the number of users in a cell. I have seen as high as 80Mbps and as low as 3Mbps on 4G at various times. That is why was fairly confident noticing any appreciable difference between 3G and the Wifi in my garage.

However, for lower latency (not speed) is what I would assume would make a big difference especially when using Maps etc.

See what I read and why I thought LTE may be quicker:

https://www.quora.com/How-4G-has-less-latency-than-3g

1) LTE typically has higher data rate. All things being equal, faster data = lower latency

2) Things are not equal, 3G is essentially a circuit switched architecture. HSPA adds an always on packet switched layer, buts:
  • CS was desifgned for voice. It is OK to take a few seconds to set up a call (session) because a voice call last minutes. But for data you set up and tear down sessions much more often & faster. But 3G stacks and architecture were never designed to be low latency: that just was not a priority.
    So 3G = latency was no big deal
    LTE = low latency was a key, priority, design requirtement
  • 3G is a hugely complex, kludgy, multi-later architrecture with lots of nodes and lots of parallel strands.
    voice, CS data, PS daa, HSPA etc - all interacxting
    Node B, RNC, packet core =- all interacting
    In contrast, LTE (while very compex) has a"flat architecture" and a much more optimized stack. It is IP, only IP and everything is IP.

definetly. I remember when I lived in the south of the UK I didnt have internet for 8 months and just used the LTE on my phone which played even online fps without any issues. Used to get a bit of a lagspike every 10min or so but was very playable. 3g.... impossibile.

Has anyone in Australia had the 4G/LTE upgrade done?
I have been asking for over 12 months here in New Zealand. The service centre say it is planned but no date/availability has been announced, even thought it's been available in Europe and the US for over a year. There many frustrating 3G blacks pots here, including one on my daily commute that drives me nuts ('loading errors' etc).
I think it might be a matter of nagging them in order to speed things up for those of us in Aus and NZ. I guess Tesla have been putting all their effort in the Model 3, but it would be nice to get this sorted.

Has anyone in Australia had the 4G/LTE upgrade done?
I have been asking for over 12 months here in New Zealand. The service centre say it is planned but no date/availability has been announced, even thought it's been available in Europe and the US for over a year. There many frustrating 3G blacks pots here, including one on my daily commute that drives me nuts ('loading errors' etc).
I think it might be a matter of nagging them in order to speed things up for those of us in Aus and NZ. I guess Tesla have been putting all their effort in the Model 3, but it would be nice to get this sorted.

About 4 months ago when Valentine was getting serviced, I got a loaner S75D that had the new MCU w/LTE. I was slightly bummed about that because at that time I had only taken delivery around 5 months earlier, so was probably one of the last batches to miss out on the new MCU. The smoothness of the UI was awesome...I miss it!

I was in an area today that only worked with 3G, and only just, according to my phone. I have lte in the model s. I did a nav instruction and it all happened effortlessly and smoothly, which suggests the smoother maps in the latest car is more to do with hardware than anything else.