Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lucid Air 360 deg view.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Moderator note: Combining posts from two threads on the same topic.

I still find it absurd that bleeding edge tech Tesla doesn't provide a basic birdseye view, considering that feature is available for cars in the budget price range.

And wow, the music in that video is headache-inducing....

Last edited by a moderator:
According to Elon it's a waste of time, since all Teslas will be full-self-driving (as in Level 5 Driverless, not the 2019 or later definition of FSD), so investing in any driver assists is just throw-away work, hence not done at Tesla. Lucid is not the first either, check out some BMW surround and 3d surround. Heck, even Nissan Leaf had surround view back in 2013. Elon always thinks Teslas are going Level 5 autonomous any day now, so it's only logical not to do throw-away work.

According to Elon it's a waste of time, since all Teslas will be full-self-driving (as in Level 5 Driverless, not the 2019 or later definition of FSD), so investing in any driver assists is just throw-away work, hence not done at Tesla. Lucid is not the first either, check out some BMW surround and 3d surround. Heck, even Nissan Leaf had surround view back in 2013. Elon always thinks Teslas are going Level 5 autonomous any day now, so it's only logical not to do throw-away work.
Sounds like a cop out to me….even Elon admitted he seriously underestimated how difficult FSD would be to make happen, So he knows they are a decade or more away from L5. I wish he’d focus on the driver experience and not the robotaxi pipedream.

According to Elon it's a waste of time, since all Teslas will be full-self-driving (as in Level 5 Driverless, not the 2019 or later definition of FSD), so investing in any driver assists is just throw-away work

I think it’s becoming increasing clear this is still a very long way off. Maybe Tesla genuinely thought they could do this at one point, but there is really no reason to think this is just a more data/bigger network problem anymore.

Tesla should to own up to this, but I don’t think they are able to. They’ve painted themselves into a corner.

I still find it absurd that bleeding edge tech Tesla doesn't provide a basic birdseye view, considering that feature is available for cars in the budget price range.

And wow, the music in that video is headache-inducing....
I agree. Should be a no brainer. I use my top down view on my BMW all the time and it does an awesome job. There really are stuff I just can’t believe are not available on Tesla that I take for granted on my BMW.

Sounds like a cop out to me….even Elon admitted he seriously underestimated how difficult FSD would be to make happen, So he knows they are a decade or more away from L5. I wish he’d focus on the driver experience and not the robotaxi pipedream.
Maybe he knows, but but his outgoing message/hype is full autonomy any day now. In October of 2020 he still claimed by the end of the that same year he will have a fleet of robo-taxis deployed. FSD redefinition in 2019 was probably due to the legal or accounting, realizing they will not be able to deliver FSD as originally defined, despite Elon's claims. Remember, Elon even hyped up the Model 2 (which according to Elon will be called something else) as the first Tesla without a steering wheel at all! So, if he is already hyping up cars without steering wheel, investing in non-FSD driver tech would be very inconsistent with his message, whether he believes it or not. That, and developing features other cars already have doesn't get Tesla as much media attention, for example, even if they did develop surround view, it would probably get much less media attention than fart mode.

I think it’s becoming increasing clear this is still a very long way off. Maybe Tesla genuinely thought they could do this at one point, but there is really no reason to think this is just a more data/bigger network problem anymore.

Tesla should to own up to this, but I don’t think they are able to. They’ve painted themselves into a corner.
Have you ever seen Elon admit he was wrong on anything? The closest he ever came was saying he underestimated humans for battery production, but I've yet to see/hear/read about Elon actually publicly admitting he was wrong. Full autonomy any day now is his story since 2016, and he's sticking with it to the end, bitter or sweet. The approach seems to work for TSLA stock.

Reactions: jpk195
You got a point - but FSD will happen one day ( not sure when), I hope it happens while we are still able to drive. But to his credit Elon is an eternal optimist with his technology vision and future direction and will not give up- his approach and mind set has created what Tesla is today and a few year ago the company was just a few weeks away from Bankruptcy.

If you can’t park successfully without birdeye view, it might be time to stop driving all together.
Well it is just like Stick shift vs Automatic Transmission (AT) ..the next generation in general does not know how to use stick shift as the US car companies sell more cars with AT. Technology will change our habits and old way of driving will give way to the new way of driving.. hopefully for the better for all of us.