Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 $15K in damage from hitting a rock to the underbody?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last week my model 3 alerted me to a coolant valve issue. Called Tesla support and they said the valve needed to be replaced. They flatbedded it to the KC service center because I live in Omaha and its under warranty. After examination they said the underbody is scrapped and there is a hole in the underbody. They said I must have hit a rock or something. $15K to repair because it damaged the battery and has to be replaced. I am the sole driver of the car and ran basic errands that day with no visual or audible evidence of hitting something during that time. Judging from the pictures it looks massive so I am guessing I would have noticed if that happened while I was driving. I treat the thing like a baby so this is quite perplexing.

Has anyone seen anything like this?

Is it possible that the tow truck could have caused damage dropping it off at the service center? I dont have pictures before of the underbody because again I didn't realize or see the damage so its hard to pinpoint where the issue was.

Any suggestions?

5YJ3E1EA0JF006356 damage 004.JPG

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 1,096
...its under warranty. After examination they said the underbody is scrapped and there is a hole in the underbody. They said I must have hit a rock or something. $15K to repair because it damaged the battery and has to be replaced.
Are they saying you have to pay? I would want to see the logs in the car to find out when this event happened. OTOH, if they're paying, I wouldn't worry about it.

Ouch. That sucks. Sounds like warranty is covering it, so that’s good.

I would imagine they don’t have to cover that, because it’s certainly not a manufacturer defect. That’s good of them.

That being said, $15k for a new battery is a lot, but not too bad considering it’s such a big part of the car.

Keep us posted.

Tesla's battery cost is the highest in the industry at $200/ kWh - Anton Whalrus @ Seeking Alpha.

Recently a Tesla forum member indicated that Tesla quoted him $15,000 for a battery replacement. Assuming this is a Long Range mode, that comes to approx 15,000/75 = $200 per kWh. If this happens to be a Mid Range model then the costs are thru the roof and bankruptcy is imminent.

If you look at the chart below you will notice that GM is the leader in battery technology with very low cost, followed by Nissan and Tesla is the most expensive.
Untitled.png

Last edited:
If the tow truck did it, the metal will not show corrosion where steel has had its coating scraped off it will be bright and shiny. Aluminum too but to a lesser degree, as it corrodes differently. If there is already significant corrosion to the steel in this area its likely done some days or weeks ahead of time. You can also look for dirt or chunks in the area around the hole.

Some close up shots of the area of the hole would help.

Why does cost matter if the battery quality is also the highest? I am not sure anyone else has cars with such capacity.

That's not the problem with it.
It's that anyone who was credible would know that price is not the same as cost.
It's like saying that an iPhone XS costs $999 to make because Apple charges $999 for it.

The referenced author is notorious for being an inept Tesla bear.