TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

M3 Rear Small Window Break Ins - Design change from MS?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by SMAlset, Aug 14, 2017.

1. SMAlset

SMAlset Active Member

Last night we were out for dinner with friends who have a M3 on order and our MS was involved in a smash and grab through the small side window in the rear. It's a favorite way for perps to open the rear seat/s and look to see what's in your cargo area when deciding if it pays for them to spend more effort breaking into the car. Car's in the service center today. Work will be done tomorrow but needs to cure so looks like we'll have it back on Wednesday. Estimate is around $1200 and my understanding why it's so expensive is because in addition to the glass they have to replace the frame. Our friends asked how much the repair would cost us and I'm sure they are wondering if their car gets hit someday if it will be just as expensive. So it got me wondering too since obviously there isn't much out there to base it on yet. I did noticed that the side windows on the M3 are a slightly different design and wondered if M3 owners will have a less costly repair as a result.

If anyone gets any real world answers on this it would be interesting to know. If Tesla has designed it to be a less expensive repair would like to think this would be change to the MS down the road. You hear about car break ins in the SF bay area all the time and never expected we'd be among those even with our MS. Will be feeling the $ pain since we don't feel it's worth putting in an insurance claim over it.

2. patrick40363

patrick40363 Member

Where did the break-in happen?

3. kev1n

kev1n Member

why wouldnt you put in a claim? it should not increase your premium. it would be considered vandalism. might be a deductible depending on how much that is. im assuming this is the static window in the rear side that doesnt roll up or down. this is the same with any other manufacturer although some pricing may vary but there wouldnt be any other way around it but to replace window + molding.

what part of SF were you parked in and did you have anything in the car that would warrant someone to break in?

4. Rogue one

Rogue one Member

Sorry to hear, happens to us a few weeks ago. (Not in a tesla). They stole less than $50 but caused over $300 in damage... can't have anything nice. ) :

5. SMAlset

SMAlset Active Member

It happened in San Jose. I already posted about it under a dashcam thread so if you're interested here's the link to it: New Blackvue Dashcam (DR750S)

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  6. mfeldmanm

mfeldmanm New Member

Our Model 3 and a second Model 3 were both broken into last night, 10/6/17 in the parking lot at Bridgepoint Center in San Mateo between 8:00 pm and 8:45 pm parked between BJ's Restaurant and Toys R Us. The police indicated that this is now a regular occurrence in this center's parking lot. The other M3 had not only their small window broken but the entire back passenger side rear window. This apparently set of the alarm on the car. We were lucky in that nothing was taken but the rear seat was folded down to look inside the trunk.

Warning - Leave nothing visible in your car !!!

Attached Files:

• Informative x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  7. mfeldmanm

mfeldmanm New Member

8. hockeythug

hockeythug Active Member

You only got two Model 3’s?

• Funny x 3
  9. tracksyde

tracksyde Member

Re-read that first sentence again.

• Like x 1
  10. tracksyde

tracksyde Member

#10 tracksyde, Oct 7, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
    I don’t live in Nor Cal but I’ve been hearing a lot about these types of crimes from friends up there and on here. Maybe it’s best to not leave anything in the trunk either and just fold down the seats when the car is parked in a questionable area.

11. sakaike

sakaike New Member

I'm a noobie here, but that door handle looks like a Model S...

• Like x 3
  12. cizUK

cizUK Member

Yup that's an S
    No 3s there...

13. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

Given the double post to correct the first one, it's obviously a typo (in both cases).

14. boiler81

boiler81 Member

So this common break-in vulnerability is well documented in the Model S forum, should have been known to Tesla, and they didn't design this out on the M3? Why aren't the fold down seat releases in the trunk?
    So now we can't secure anything in the interior, the trunk or the frunk (anyone with a 12V battery can open)? If this is the case, it's bad design.

15. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

Note that the bit about the frunk is incorrect. You can't open it if the 12V battery in the car is still active. The override only works if the 12V battery is dead.

About the trunk, the fold down releases in my current car are also in the passenger compartment, but there is also a lock lever that can be toggled in the trunk to lock the seats from folding down. I wonder if the Model 3 would also have that kind of lever.

• Informative x 3
    • Like x 1
  16. boiler81

boiler81 Member

That's a relief to know the frunk isn't as venerable. The interior trunk releases if equipped, should be lockable from the trunk or just use the touchscreen/cell phone/key to release?

17. WileyTheMan

WileyTheMan Member

This.

18. North75

North75 Member

It was reported by one of the early owners on that other forum that there is currently no way to lock the seat release levers.

19. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

How exactly are you supposed to design out glass windows?

• Like x 3
  20. kmngq

kmngq Member

Its not just "This"

Thieves are breaking that specific window to pull down the seat and check whats in the trunk. It's not about leaving things in the back seat.