Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3P- . What is it, how to order it, etc.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Makes sense. Yes, they gave you a P3D-, and converted it to AWD. They are switchable - though now it is not possible to switch an AWD -> P3D. It is only possible to do P3D- => AWD.

Good deal for you anyway.

In 2018, both switch directions were possible. Same motor was used in both.

We don't know that you can't use the 990 motor in the P3D-, but there is no evidence to date that it is possible. The 990 motor can produce more power than it does in an AWD (there's some examples in Europe with special software being applied, to what I think are 990 motors), but in any case the point is that it is distinctly different hardware than the 980 motor in the Performance.
I have no idea what yields are like on the different electric motors but it seems like the AWD 980/990 switchover was done as a production optimization. Assuming with improving production processes an increasing number of 990 motors can meet the output that is typical of the 980, the optimization could be as simple as having to test fewer motors.

The production optimization for the LR AWD trim might make it unlikely for Tesla to offer software uncorking of Performance, as only certain cars would have the motors that are safely rated for that output. It might not make much sense to have an upgrade option that is only available to "lucky" owners of a specific trim.

It's interesting that back in late 2018 the LR AWD <-> M3P- price difference was ~$9k despite many cars having the same motors, but now the difference is only $2k despite the motor separation.

I'm not sure what M3P+ part supply is like, but I remember reading about shortages of the 20" wheels over the course of the past year. The bursty influx of random M3P- cars might be as simple as Tesla not having enough 20" wheels, red brake calipers, spoilers etc. to go around and complete them. In this case I wouldn't expect the M3P- to disappear anytime soon.

I heard that the P3D (true performance with special suspension) is 1/2” lower than the rest
Basically if you go through this now rather large thread that is Kenny”s baby ....going from AWD LR to performance will cost you $8000 u get the increase acceleration and top speed / track mode / 20’ wheels/ carbon fiber spoiler / performance brakes / lowered suspension and aluminum pedals
For $2000 the “P3D-“ or stealth or unicorn gets you the increased acceleration and top speed / track mode and the red underline badge / performance displayed on your screen(s)
Some P3D- ‘s come with 19” or 20” wheels with corresponding upgrade fee and u cannot delete these if you want that particular car ... I believe some came with performance brakes (someone correct me if wrong please ) with an up charge

I heard that the P3D (true performance with special suspension) is 1/2” lower than the rest

Yes this is referred to as "P3D+"... the plus sign signifying that it has the full "PUP" list of items that you see clearly mentioned on Tesla's website. "P3D-" signifying that it doesn't have any of those, other than the Track Mode and red underline where appropriate. There's also nothing special about the suspension itself on the P3D+, it's just lowered.

Last edited:
Basically if you go through this now rather large thread that is Kenny”s baby ....going from AWD LR to performance will cost you $8000 u get the increase acceleration and top speed / track mode / 20’ wheels/ carbon fiber spoiler / performance brakes / lowered suspension and aluminum pedals
For $2000 the “P3D-“ or stealth or unicorn gets you the increased acceleration and top speed / track mode and the red underline badge / performance displayed on your screen(s)
Some P3D- ‘s come with 19” or 20” wheels with corresponding upgrade fee and u cannot delete these if you want that particular car ... I believe some came with performance brakes (someone correct me if wrong please ) with an up charge
Lmao. U assh0le :p

Hers what happend....at first I wanted a different color combination...then I settled on black/black....because Tesla gave me the $750 credit on the color for taking from their inventory...BUT...the salesperson told me in order to take this car they would have to "modify" the software (take the performance off)....I was told I would get an email....which I did (pic below)...it wasn't until a few days after I noticed the line below the emblem....and I put 2 +2 together....thats what led me to the forum.View attachment 458269

Wow that’s a first. Man just pay $2k and get Performance and you won’t regret a bit. Performance is another level.

If you don’t have the money sleep then go on a diet for 6 months lol. Totally worth it.

No, you've provided what is needed...I meant we'd need a picture of the motor from something that definitely is a recent AWD (September 2019, non Performance). Yours appears to be a Performance vehicle with non-Performance software. Just a mistake. The mistake that exists depends on what you paid for (as outlined above: Mistake Option #1: You paid for Performance and did not get the software. Mistake Option #2: You did not pay for Peformance, but you got a Performance vehicle (without the software)).

As you have detailed elsewhere, you have the regular non-P Dual Motor software, and that is what you paid for. So it sounds like all you have is an extra red underline on your badge, and of course the "better" drive unit. (And that's why I was saying we'd need to see the motor from a recent non-P AWD - to make completely sure they still come with 990 motors (as they have for most of this year). That would just double confirm you have a Performance vehicle (without the software to make it Performance).)

Option #2 is the correct answer

Haha....is that all it is $2000?... I thought it was more like $10k

Yup $2K more for the same car with the performance software.
Many of us are sticking around here on the off chance Tesla makes this software push available to existing AWD non-performance owners for a fee down the road.

if this "better" rear drive unit actually cost Telsa more or was actually any better why would Tesla give the option of removing the performance software and charging $2K less.
I have seen multiple examples on this forum of that exact situation happening.

There is no difference. The P3D- and the AWD are identical vehicles as far as we know, except for the rear drive unit. (I'm not referring to the P3D+ here since it's not relevant to this discussion - of course that is 10mm lower.)

AWD: 990 drive unit
P3D: 980 drive unit

That's the catch. In 2018 there was no catch. They seemed switchable either way. There is debate on how switchable they were, due to drive unit variation, but that's a debate that is irrelevant here.

So I do have the 980 motor....can I ask Tesla hiw much to upgrade?
Many of us are sticking around here on the off chance Tesla makes this software push available to existing AWD non-performance owners for a fee down the road.
Who do I call to find out about the possibility of upgrading....salesperson?

if this "better" rear drive unit actually cost Telsa more or was actually any better why would Tesla give the option of removing the performance software and charging $2K less.
I have seen multiple examples on this forum of that exact situation happening.

Yeah, it's a little sad - pretty sure they would have happily taken your extra $2k and left all those other discounts applied if you had pushed for it. His Stealth was right there for the taking. Too late now!

You can't. What is done is done. You paid for AWD and you are stuck with it. The time to get it would have been prior to paying. Enjoy your car in any case. Unless you love to drive fast it makes very little difference.

Well, shoot.... I'm not sure you can. Here's why...

There were some LR AWD cars built during July and September that did have the 980 rear drive unit, and were able to be sold as either a LR AWD, or as a "Stealth" performance. But here's the kicker... You had to make the decision as to what you wanted, either the LR AWD or performance, at the time of purchase. There has never been an option to add it after the fact, at least publicly.

There are a few very rare instances where it supposedly was added afterwards, but those instances were never documented thoroughly enough to be completely credible. Sorry I can't provide any links to those stories, as I didn't book mark them, and I've read sooooooo much I can't remember where those posts were.

You can ask, but be prepared for a "no."

Edit: LoL, looks like we all responded at the same time.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
You can ask, but be prepared for a "no."

Agreed. It does not hurt to ask.

@SanmanM3, you can always try - you could argue that you were confused since your badge shows the red underline, and that's what you thought you were getting, you didn't look at your MVPA carefully...etc. Completely not what happened though so I'll leave what is "right" up to you. In the end it seems like it's fine to try to give them $2k for your vehicle.

Often the vehicle type does not make any difference for insurance. On my insurance, it displays the vehicle as a Performance vehicle. But that is not the case for all insurers - there is no way to tell from the VIN so it is dependent on what you tell them. But remember you should only expect to get paid out for what you have told them you have.

Reactions: SanmanM3