Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3P- . What is it, how to order it, etc.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So when you all say you just ordered one does that mean they can be custom ordered or did your OA just find you one in stock in your area. Yesterday my OA said he could order any color combo wanted but today he told me each center got a limited number and this is a limited run. So when they are gone that is it and no custom orders can be placed. I have read both things from various other sources.
Which is it?
Anyone actually do a custom order that has yet to be built?

Read the whole thing. My point is the last part (his reply) which is that an AWD --> P is just a flash.

I get that but just still see no proof. The only solid evidence he's presenting is you can limit and unlock cars that were already performance cars. I don't think there is any proof of an as delivered AWD LR being flashed to a performance yet (not saying it won't happen).

Edit: I'm just wondering if this latest batch of cars are different from the ones owners have received earlier? Part numbers apparently never were different though so who knows. Waiting to see that first AWD LR uncorked to performance post :D

Last edited:
So glad I found this thread. I would be happy to sign a petition and offer Elon & co my hard earned monies to upgrade my LR AWD to a stealth P. I’d even take an “in between” version for the right price.

$500 per 1/10th of a second would be a great way to boost profits...

Edit: I found the petition thread and have signed!

Last edited:
I get that but just still see no proof. The only solid evidence he's presenting is you can limit and unlock cars that were already performance cars. I don't think there is any proof of an as delivered AWD LR being flashed to a performance yet (not saying it won't happen).

Edit: I'm just wondering if this latest batch of cars are different from the ones owners have received earlier? Part numbers apparently never were different though so who knows. Waiting to see that first AWD LR uncorked to performance post :D

Well naturally nobody has provided literal proof yet, or this debate wouldn't still be going on would it? We are all here just providing anecdotal evidence and I'm just piling on top of that. What I will say is that there are several people last year who claimed (on the internet) that they purchased a P3D but accidentally received a LR AWD, even with the VIN matching the monroney sticker saying it was AWD and that their service center simply fixed it for them via a software update after an hour of confusion. I've attached one such example from the Tesla forums.

And maybe it's possible there was a change at some point so that all AWD's are P capable, I wouldn't rule that out either. But I personally am less inclined to think that is the case.

Attachments

• AWD-P3D.PNG
    AWD-P3D.PNG
    12.1 KB · Views: 78
So when you all say you just ordered one does that mean they can be custom ordered or did your OA just find you one in stock in your area. Yesterday my OA said he could order any color combo wanted but today he told me each center got a limited number and this is a limited run. So when they are gone that is it and no custom orders can be placed. I have read both things from various other sources.
Which is it?
Anyone actually do a custom order that has yet to be built?

None have been custom orders that I’m aware of, just inventory cars that happened to come in with this “stealth” status.

None have been custom orders that I’m aware of, just inventory cars that happened to come in with this “stealth” status.
Dang that’s what I was afraid of. Having trouble paying this kind of money for the color combo that isn’t my first choice. Seems like these cars could be a way for Tesla to quietly boost sales slightly or test the interest of this type of package before making it an on menu option.

Dang that’s what I was afraid of. Having trouble paying this kind of money for the color combo that isn’t my first choice. Seems like these cars could be a way for Tesla to quietly boost sales slightly or test the interest of this type of package before making it an on menu option.
Not sure what your referring too about paying this kind of money for a color that is not your first choice?
If you call and order a car with this package in whatever color you want, all the sales rep is going to do is locate your specific selections
of a LR AWD with 18 inch wheels that will either be a in stock unit or in route to a sales center unit and punch the build sheet as a performance upgrade and boom your done. Your car will then receive a new badge on trunk and a over the air update for performance specs.
If you need help and want to talk to a advisor that actually knows what he is doing PM me and Ill give you his contact info.

Last edited:
From all indications, this is only certain cars that were built for this purpose. At least that’s what my sales advisor told me, that these were a limited run in small numbers and would not be available for a long.
Do you have a actual copy of your monrony sticker you could post.
This would finally put an end to how these cars are built from the factory and finally confirm it is simply a software update and new badge on a LR AWD model. Thanks

I keep in contact with a huge list of OAs and they all say it cannot be custom ordered and likely a limited run.

Based on how these Sleeper units are in high demand I think Tesla will likely increase the price or remove them due to how It cannibalizes sales from LR and P3 Models. Overall it’s a great deal and selling very fast.

I would order one if you are on the fence.

I keep in contact with a huge list of OAs and they all say it cannot be custom ordered and likely a limited run.

Based on how these Sleeper units are in high demand I think Tesla will likely increase the price or remove them due to how It cannibalizes sales from LR

These are LR models, with no difference but software, for $2000 more to Tesla.

They'd love if it "cannibalizes" 100% of LR sales.

Reactions: MagnusMako and TT97

Based on how these Sleeper units are in high demand I think Tesla will likely increase the price or remove them due to how It cannibalizes sales from LR and P3 Models. Overall it’s a great deal and selling very fast.

I would order one if you are on the fence.
LOL, stealth run of stealth cars. Love it. In any regard, regardless of when you got and what you paid, I personally think it is the best car Tesla has made.

Reactions: phantasms
I placed a phone order for a P3D-, the first email order only showed a LR AWD Non-Performance 18" Aero for $47,990. A minute later I get an updated order for LR AWD Performance with 18" Aeros for $49,990. Performance upgrade for $2k is a good deal. I will confirm that it has the red line upon delivery.

• Helpful
Reactions: wcfree and jebinc
First off, I am happy for folks that are able to get the additional acceleration for a good deal but if we think like business people I think they are missing an opportunity here.

For example, another thing Tesla could do here is simply add another trim like they had before with the M3P-.

It is all about packaging and it could go something like this.
  • M3P+ - $57,990 - includes existing Performance Upgrade hardware, 0-60 in 3.2 seconds. (~470hp/490lb ft torque)
  • M3P- - $53,990 - includes 19s (instead of 18s), no Track Mode, 0-60 in 3.5 sec (software limit). (~420hp/440lb ft torque)
  • M3D - $47,990 - keep as is - 0-60 rated at 4.4 sec (even though testing says it is closer to 4.0 sec). (~370hp/390lb ft torque)
With this kind of offering you keep the fastest trim at the top for those that are willing to stretch and pay for it. Then you step down a notch for the folks that are willing to spend a little more for acceleration but have no interest in tracking the car. I know some are going to say this add more complexity but it really doesn't. Just put it on the menu and it is super easy. They just match you to a car with M3D and 19s and push the software change.

Reactions: Schroeder0202