Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3P- . What is it, how to order it, etc.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My P3D- software is 2019.15.104.1. Seems oldish... I connected it to WiFi for a few hours the first day but don't have WiFi in my parking spot/overnight. I set it to advanced of course. It's been 2 days and no update (note I already have P software, just hoping for a newer version).

Ditto all the way around.. I did try to borrow (with permission) my neighbors wifi which has one bar. But no update after 2 nights. I did order a wifi range extender (I needed it anyway) that will be here tomorrow. We'll see if that helps. it seems like an old build for a 7/19 build date.. But I am sure it will come across at some point.

So saw couple and VIN’s are 433XXX. What is everyone else getting ? Nothing comes up on google. Makes me believe these are new and maybe this is now the standard as all AWD get same P level motors just controlled by software and obviously $$$.

VIN is 418XXX.
After seeing people on this forum having to wait for an update to "unlock" the performance aspects of there M3P-, I decided to call where I will be picking my car up tomorrow to make sure that the software is loaded in beforehand. The person I talked to said they would check and call me back. They actually called back and said they will push the update tonight and it should be ready for tomorrow's pick up. I am very much hoping this is the case.

If you are picking one of these up, call and make sure the car has this preloaded before then if you want what you are paying for.

Had a chance to see the car before pick up and it did have the Dual Motor badge with the red underline on it. Not sure if that means anything....

In that case it’s almost certainly plausible that Tesla uses same motors now for AWD and P. Maybe a new trend and standard process going forward.

That's not a new trend- they've been using the same motors in both from the start.

Yes, if anything, the new trend may be that NOW Tesla may be using DIFFERENT motors for AWD and "P-capable" vehicles. Previously they always had the same label (or no label). We don't yet have enough reports to know the current state of affairs. We have just one AWD US owner reporting that they have a different rear drive unit. More reports from new AWD & P owners would be good.

Exactly the same here!
My P3D- software is 2019.15.104.1. Seems oldish... I connected it to WiFi for a few hours the first day but don't have WiFi in my parking spot/overnight. I set it to advanced of course. It's been 2 days and no update (note I already have P software, just hoping for a newer version). I thought premium interior models got more frequent updates over LTE, but I guess it's not as frequent as WiFi. Going to park it elsewhere with WiFi tonight to see if anything happens.

Mine is 18" but never thought they could be summers, I'll check later and confirm, but probably all seasons.

No mention of HomeLink on the screen/settings.

Pretty sure my HW is 3.0 btw (my dashcam videos are saving with HEVC/x265 codec). Recorded about 40GB in 1 day(~40miles+sentry). Seems really high, good thing I got the 500GB Samsung SSD. HW 2.5 either uses even more disk space or saves at a lower quality (HEVC is supposed to be smaller files for the same quality).

VIN is 442XXX BTW. Happy to finally join you guys (1st post and 1st Tesla)!

My VIN is 442XXX and I'm taking delivery Tuesday 8/30.

Yes, if anything, the new trend may be that NOW Tesla may be using DIFFERENT motors for AWD and "P-capable" vehicles. Previously they always had the same label (or no label). We don't yet have enough reports to know the current state of affairs. We have just one AWD US owner reporting that they have a different rear drive unit. More reports from new AWD & P owners would be good.

Been following this thread as I find it all quite interesting and have an AWD on order in Canada (wouldn’t mind P- but multiple reps at my store insist they can’t be ordered and that there were only a few inventory ones that have since cleared out).

No clue how helpful or informative it is, but my AWD on order also has a VIN of 442XXX. I imagine they build similar cars in batches right?

I don't think mine has homelink and the tires on it are the Michelin primacy mxm4

As of June, HomeLink is no longer standard on Model 3. You have to pay $300 for the RF module to be installed. (Based on a quick internet perusal, it does not appear to be a simple software unlock; they actually do not install the transmitter.)

Presumably if you request this before delivery you might be able to get this installed before pickup and avoid the service center (a good idea). But YMMV.

Obviously, just a little remote that came with your garage door opener will suffice, though it will lump you squarely in with the plebes. ;) On the upside, not having HomeLink will minimize the risk of unintentional closing of the garage door on your car (though if you disable auto-close and/or have adequate garage door sensors, that risk is relatively small).

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: rob968
Here’s my 5/19 build AWD. Confirmed 990 motor.

Attachments

• F336A3BB-8CBB-4DBD-A485-5C7D2EC62C23.jpeg
    F336A3BB-8CBB-4DBD-A485-5C7D2EC62C23.jpeg
    382.8 KB · Views: 112
Here’s my 5/19 build AWD. Confirmed 990 motor.

Thank you! I detect a trend. This is the second confirmed US market 990 motor. Both have been on AWD (not Performance) vehicles.

Two instances does not a trend make, though - it's possible the 990 motors are going in all vehicles - just not enough sampling data yet. It would be interesting to continue to see what new owners have (whether they are SR+/SR/LR RWD/AWD/P3D owners). Others, please feel free to post results in the other thread (as you have already done):

Model 3 Motors on the Tesla Parts Catalog

Last edited:
0A9D13F5-C739-46BE-870A-F4E9FADD1F8E.jpeg
I took the car out for a nice drive after the over the air update was installed and the difference is night and day. Yesterday, without the performance upgrade, the car went pretty fast but now it’s like a rocket. I was smiling from ear to ear every time I could hit the accelerator hard. Still waiting to hear back about the missing red performance badging though.

I ended up at my local supercharger and charged the car for the first time. Awkwardly, this super charger is on the 7th floor of a paid parking garage.

View attachment 434277 I took the car out for a nice drive after the over the air update was installed and the difference is night and day. Yesterday, without the performance upgrade, the car went pretty fast but now it’s like a rocket. I was smiling from ear to ear every time I could hit the accelerator hard. Still waiting to hear back about the missing red performance badging though.

I ended up at my local supercharger and charged the car for the first time. Awkwardly, this super charger is on the 7th floor of a paid parking garage.

Posts like this make me so mad I got suckered into the tax credit and didn’t wait 6 weeks to buy :)

Glad you’re loving the car! Would you snap a pic of your rear motor?

View attachment 434277 I took the car out for a nice drive after the over the air update was installed and the difference is night and day. Yesterday, without the performance upgrade, the car went pretty fast but now it’s like a rocket. I was smiling from ear to ear every time I could hit the accelerator hard. Still waiting to hear back about the missing red performance badging though.

Congrats. It is pretty crazy to think you can add 100hp and torque with a software upgrade. :D You also answered the question in a lot of folks minds regarding M3D vs M3P acceleration and whether it is noticeable. A 1 sec difference down low requires a lot more torque and this thing is a torque monster already. These P- cars are a steal. I am curious if they will put these on the menu at some point.

The only thing I wonder about is that there does not seem to be a designated trim for this model. For example, if you went to get your car appraised I am not sure how they would look it up. Kelly Blue Book doesn’t list a trim like this. I wonder if they will list it as an option under a M3D at some point?