Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3P - Who switched from a (true) sports car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm trading in my lowered MX5 ND for a M3P - hadn't expected to be doing that when I went for a test drive at Tesla - had recently test driven a Hyundai i30n and ultimately passed on it as it wasn't as much fun as the Mazda. I've always been a fan of the slow car fast philosophy (loved driving the basic Elise and Caterham 7) and loved every one of the 80000 miles I've put on the MX5 over the last 5 years with my 90 mile daily commute including the top down motoring in the winter - - and had sworn I would never get an automatic car - but the Tesla M3 offers lots of aspects that you can enjoy as a car guy even though you'll miss some things - sure it's heavy and the steering's not the most communicative (like a lot of modern cars), but it's fun to drive - it feels planted and the instant torque is great and the whole EV experience is a whole new world to explore, something I'm really looking forward to. As others have mentioned, the lack of noise allows you to tune in to other aspects of the driving experience.
FWIW, if you can afford it I would keep the MX-5. The MP3 is awesome and the instant torque is intoxicating and it does indeed entertain in other ways but just like anything in life you get used to it. If you are like me you will miss some of the exhaust note, vibration, lightness and winding out the gears top down. I own both now. The M3P is the silent rocket daily driver and the Miata is for those nice days when you want to drop the top and row you own gears. While I am a huge fan of Tesla EVs a part of me is sad to say goodbye to some of the older cars.

I still can’t believe there is no more manual option in the C8 Corvette...

I bought my wife a model 3 performance, received it yesterday. Just driving around and also brother in laws before; I miss the sounds, vibrations and the gear shifting that my BMW M2 makes, thankfully I still have it. I plan on taking the 3 to some Tesla Corsa events but it couldn't replace the M2 as my track and weekend toy. Expendables are expensive enough on a m2, physics say a heavier car will be even worse. Also range anxiety is a thing, it's nice to know I can beat on it on track and in 5 minutes it will be ready to go again. The tracks in Cali, one still needs to drive to a place to charge, which also means less time on the social aspect of a track day.
I rented an M2 in Holland for a week while a visited a few friends. After the week, I came to the conclusion that I would never buy one because it would most certainly be my coffin... It was such a thrill to drive! Helped that my buddies knew all the traffic control areas, so opening it up made me feel like Maverick on a fly by. All flats and tunnels though, which is why I think it would due me in here on the mountains of SoCal.

I still watch for them on BaT...

Reactions: greasypeanut
Sorry, all the talk about driving feel is like an excuse for cars or drivers that can't go fast. Tesla feels crappy but it is fast. Miata feels great but it is slow. It's just what your end goal is.

It reminds me of people who waves about manual station wagons, yet they never sell well

I drove a Cadillac CTS-V Wagon for 9+ years, bought it new in 11/2011 and I LOVE that car. Noisy, torque-y and the magnetic ride suspension is underrated - it was a great match for the car. I was raised on American muscle so it just speaks to my DNA (supercharger whine, anyone?). And, like true American muscle, you can't get all that power to the pavement. It'll break loose at the slightest bit of over-enthusiasm. It also gets 9 MPG in town.

I've had my 2020 M3P for a year now and haven't looked back. In daily-driving situations it does everything better than the Caddy - even before you consider the tech/features like autopilot etc. And my ANNUAL electricity bill to drive the M3P is roughly 1.5x what my MONTHLY gas bill was for the Caddy.

My only complaint about the M3P is that the suspension is kinda mushy, floaty, all the words everyone else has used here. But my wheels arrive tomorrow, and in my garage are the MPP camber & toe arms and the MPP KW v3 coilover suspension, which will go in next week. I'm looking forward to doing a review after that!

/TCP

• Love
Reactions: finaufan and Vines
Switched from a manual C7Z06 with Z07 track package. Couldn’t be happier. Never going back.

3238C690-B6CD-4944-B9BA-5DC8EB92DC44.jpeg

19450138-C71E-407A-8C00-81DEAAD77863.jpeg
0EE6BB09-D585-489D-8C77-4DBFBC4B9C2E.jpeg

My previous cars were Audi S4, 2012 BOSS 302 mustang and 2017 GT350 mustang. I tracked both mustangs. My best time in the M3P is slightly better than the BOSS but about 3 seconds slower than the GT 350.

M3P destroys all those others at the drag strip. Best times — 1/8 = 7.29, 1/4 = 11.41.

M3P is simply the most fun car I have ever driven on the street. It is hard to describe accurately to someone who hasn’t driven one (y’all understand of course).

On the track it is a good car with one glaring problem — LACK OF COOLING. Yes, it could use somewhat better brakes, a bit less body lean, better seats, some camber. But, by far, cooling is the big problem. I get about 3 good laps with no traffic before something overheats and power is cut drastically.

MPP and others are working on cooling solutions and I greatly appreciate that. Last I heard none completely fix the problem for the M3P. With proper cooling all the car really NEEDS to be a decent track car is track pads and good DOT 4 fluid.

TESLA - PLEASE GIVE US A SOLUTION TO THE COOLING PROBLEM. The current situation is embarrassing.

Until the Model 3P came along the most fun I have ever had driving was a Honda S600, Morgan Plus 8,
TR3A and a Miata, although the Fiat Uno Turbo i.e. and the late 1980's Peugeot CLI really were close . Except for the Morgan and Fiat they were all slow and not stellar in any objective way. The were just FUN and the tiny Honda S600 was the most fun of all, with a 9500 RPM limit it was motorcycle-like noise.

Of course I have had a litany of famous sports car names. None matched the list above for FUN.

Then came along Tesla. No Tesla has anything really in common with any of those, but...the Model 3P manages to be insane fun and very reliable, cheap to run. and practical at the same time. Somehow I no longer have any attraction for any Sports car that is non-Tesla.

Came from a 2015 BMW M235i MT - a car with one of the best RWD drivers-car experience. Just a nice, balanced package, great sounding engine and the best manual transmission car I have owned. It was my daily driver, and a fun car. I liked the smallness and everything about the setup.

Now I just sold the BMW for the brand new M3P. The M3P is a quiet rocket.

I don't miss the BMW right now, but there will be times in the future when I wish I had a three car garage and kept it.

But this M3P is simply a total blast.

Cheers,

Snade

Attachments

• 20200729_162546.jpg
    20200729_162546.jpg
    662.6 KB · Views: 58
  • M235i_BW_2.jpg
    M235i_BW_2.jpg
    248.5 KB · Views: 65
  • 20210324_145849.jpg
    20210324_145849.jpg
    941.9 KB · Views: 58
Came from a 2015 BMW M235i MT - a car with one of the best RWD drivers-car experience. Just a nice, balanced package, great sounding engine and the best manual transmission car I have owned. It was my daily driver, and a fun car. I liked the smallness and everything about the setup.

Now I just sold the BMW for the brand new M3P. The M3P is a quiet rocket.

I don't miss the BMW right now, but there will be times in the future when I wish I had a three car garage and kept it.

But this M3P is simply a total blast.

Cheers,

Snade

M3P daily + Project car!!
Thisistheway.png

Ok. My list
Mercedes 230CE - first car that thing was a beast
96 Civic EX - modded all to hell changed about 40% of that car out, was on rails, but could barely make it over speed bumps.....before Fast and the Furious lol
99 Cobra
2004 Cobra Vert
2008 C350
2008 E63 AMG - nicknamed Muerte - Best Interior ever, hand stitched everything.
2012 MazdaSpeed 3
2019 Scat Pack Charger - hit 145 the first day I got it (yes during the break-in period) it was still pulling hard too lol.

That's a pretty diverse list, now with that being said M3P is the best car I have ever owned. Perfect mix of tech, comfort and controllable (silent) speed for me. I can punch it to 70 on the main road, turn the corner into the development and no one is looking. People are still jogging and walking their dogs without a care in the world :)

Reactions: Primolak and Snade