Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3P - Who switched from a (true) sports car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You're 100% correct. But last time I checked, even nascar tracks have straights. So unless you plan on buying a miata and spending all day driving around a traffic circle, you'd probably be better off using a model 3, either in stock or modified form.
It is not about necessarily about track times with the Miata, it is about driving fun. 50mph feels like 70mph in a Miata. Short gearing allows you to wind out the gears on the street without reaching crazy speeds, even with a 7500rpm redline. At 2300lbs it really feels like a go-kart on the street. It is a fun weekend car for sure.

Reactions: Dolemite and ngng
I've had tons of cars that I loved for various reasons. I was actually cross shopping this M3P with a Hellcat for my daily lol. 2.85 and tune on the Hellcat and it's technically a much faster car but realistically day to day, I'm going to be able to get much more speed and fun out of the M3. I never go to the drag strip really anymore and in Virginia anything over 80mph is Go-Directly-To-Jail speed. IMO I don't think there's a better sport sedan offered right now for a daily(I don't have 100+ grand to spend and I don't want to risk a used M5/E63S).

The fact this car was an EV was actually very low on my list of things I cared about hah. I also still have the K20A swapped EK hatch when I want the twisty stuff.

It is not about necessarily about track times with the Miata, it is about driving fun. 50mph feels like 70mph in a Miata. Short gearing allows you to wind out the gears on the street without reaching crazy speeds, even with a 7500rpm redline. At 2300lbs it really feels like a go-kart on the street. It is a fun weekend car for sure.
This was what I was waiting for someone to say. Miatas aren't superior in any way, they're just fun. Same thing with my RC51, it's a fat pig on the track, but more fun than any one of my fast bikes. Fun doesn't equate to superiority.

This was what I was waiting for someone to say. Miatas aren't superior in any way, they're just fun. Same thing with my RC51, it's a fat pig on the track, but more fun than any one of my fast bikes. Fun doesn't equate to superiority.
nobody said superior. i said best selling sports car. in history. but, yes, they're also fun. and, imo, the miata is superior if you actually want to drive. i also don't understand "superiority". in what context? like, let's park at Starbucks and talk about who has a faster ring time and 0-60?

• Funny
Reactions: Sam1
I'm trading in my lowered MX5 ND for a M3P - hadn't expected to be doing that when I went for a test drive at Tesla - had recently test driven a Hyundai i30n and ultimately passed on it as it wasn't as much fun as the Mazda. I've always been a fan of the slow car fast philosophy (loved driving the basic Elise and Caterham 7) and loved every one of the 80000 miles I've put on the MX5 over the last 5 years with my 90 mile daily commute including the top down motoring in the winter - - and had sworn I would never get an automatic car - but the Tesla M3 offers lots of aspects that you can enjoy as a car guy even though you'll miss some things - sure it's heavy and the steering's not the most communicative (like a lot of modern cars), but it's fun to drive - it feels planted and the instant torque is great and the whole EV experience is a whole new world to explore, something I'm really looking forward to. As others have mentioned, the lack of noise allows you to tune in to other aspects of the driving experience.

Reactions: Zcd1
Hello,

I'll add my early thoughts in now and in a few months I'll have a much more mature opinion on the matter.

Bought a 2019 Performance Model 3 from a Golf R, not much there, but the P3D is all around quicker and more fun to drive.
Since buying the P3D, I now own a 2008 Tesla Roadster and a 1999 996 C2. I've only just received all cars in my home region with many mountain roads.

So far:

The Tesla Roadster is incredibly planted and I am no where near confident enough currently to push it to it's potential through the corners, but got damn is it a sensation I have never felt before!

The Porsche with the engine pushing you directly from your ass is also a thrill on straights and corners and again, no where near confident enough to even tickle the limit.

The P3D, from what I can remember as my mother is keeping her going as I have my fun, holds it's ground through curves and rips on the exit much quicker than either of the other two. It also has the most explosive acceleration from a stop.

I want to tweak the Model 3 a bit, as it is bone stock unlike the other two (Roadster technically is stock as well). I have the Zero-Gs to install and maybe some suspension work to tighten the cornering a wee bit.

It's going to be an interesting upcoming couple of months that's for sure. The only thing in my schedule is the open road and some coffee! Feel free to give me a shout if you're in the SoCal area and keen for a cruise!

Reactions: greasypeanut
I bought my wife a model 3 performance, received it yesterday. Just driving around and also brother in laws before; I miss the sounds, vibrations and the gear shifting that my BMW M2 makes, thankfully I still have it. I plan on taking the 3 to some Tesla Corsa events but it couldn't replace the M2 as my track and weekend toy. Expendables are expensive enough on a m2, physics say a heavier car will be even worse. Also range anxiety is a thing, it's nice to know I can beat on it on track and in 5 minutes it will be ready to go again. The tracks in Cali, one still needs to drive to a place to charge, which also means less time on the social aspect of a track day.

I bought my wife a model 3 performance, received it yesterday. Just driving around and also brother in laws before; I miss the sounds, vibrations and the gear shifting that my BMW M2 makes, thankfully I still have it. I plan on taking the 3 to some Tesla Corsa events but it couldn't replace the M2 as my track and weekend toy. Expendables are expensive enough on a m2, physics say a heavier car will be even worse. Also range anxiety is a thing, it's nice to know I can beat on it on track and in 5 minutes it will be ready to go again. The tracks in Cali, one still needs to drive to a place to charge, which also means less time on the social aspect of a track day.

i love the m2. a little heavy, but really a driver's car

i love the m2. a little heavy, but really a driver's car

Seriously - even that thing is porky by "historical" standards. I doubt it'd be that much less expensive to run, especially when factoring in fuel and other engine-related BS that doesn't exist in an EV. The guys on the M2 forums also bitch about weight & heat management.

But EVs are still very much a Time Attack cars. Someday, we'll get there.

Seriously - even that thing is porky by "historical" standards. I doubt it'd be that much less expensive to run, especially when factoring in fuel and other engine-related BS that doesn't exist in an EV. The guys on the M2 forums also bitch about weight & heat management.

But EVs are still very much a Time Attack cars. Someday, we'll get there.

i guess it depends if OP has the M2 with the "real" M engine ;) i kid, I kid. people always find things to complain about lol. most of the time they just need to look in the mirror. myself included 😆 but, it's far easier to blame the tires

if anybody is interested in feedback from somebody who can actually drive: Login • Instagram
he's won the nasa norcal spec miata series and is campaigning a M3P in the new nasa TT-E series. the M3P put down a respectable 2:02 at our local track, which, for comparison, I could run a 1:57 on a good day in my GT3.

Reactions: Dolemite
i guess it depends if OP has the M2 with the "real" M engine ;) i kid, I kid. people always find things to complain about lol. most of the time they just need to look in the mirror. myself included 😆 but, it's far easier to blame the tires

if anybody is interested in feedback from somebody who can actually drive: Login • Instagram
he's won the nasa norcal spec miata series and is campaigning a M3P in the new nasa TT-E series. the M3P put down a respectable 2:02 at our local track, which, for comparison, I could run a 1:57 on a good day in my GT3.
I have the wannabe m engine lol. Perfectly fine with it. The m2c wasn't even a rumor when I got mine new. New intercooler and charge pipe and it's rock solid. That is unless you go off at big willow and have to replace control arms. I'm looking forward to the next Gen m2 as it'll probably be the last manual rwd 2er. Bmw already massacred the g80 m3 with that grill. One of the biggest reasons I ended up with a performance instead.

I'm looking forward to some track days in the 3 performance though. Would be nice if superchargers were available at location so I can hang out with friends while it's charging.