Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3P - Who switched from a (true) sports car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Toe is the killer of tires, not camber.
I lowered my 2020 3LR a year ago (Eibachs about 1inch). The wheel alignment is all in spec (even had Tesla do it to make absolutely sure), but I'm still getting wear strips on the very inside edges of my rear tyres. Do you have any tips to prevent/reduce this? Do I need more toe in? And if so, do you know how much?

Attachments

• 2021-02-23 21.37.44.jpg
    2021-02-23 21.37.44.jpg
    293.1 KB · Views: 147
  • 2021-02-23 21.38.08.jpg
    2021-02-23 21.38.08.jpg
    284.7 KB · Views: 57
I lowered my 2020 3LR a year ago (Eibachs about 1inch). The wheel alignment is all in spec (even had Tesla do it to make absolutely sure), but I'm still getting wear strips on the very inside edges of my rear tyres. Do you have any tips to prevent/reduce this? Do I need more toe in? And if so, do you know how much?
Stock alignment specs call for too much toe in the rear IMO. I've been happy running 0 toe all around, which is also nice and beneficial for tire wear!

• Helpful
Reactions: corndog and dfwatt
Please post alignment print out sheet. Tesla allows for in my opinion anyway an unusually wide latitude on toe and probably too much Toe in frankly. particularly at the rear. You can't really tell if the alignment is optimal without looking at the numbers on the sheet.

• Helpful
Reactions: corndog
Please post alignment print out sheet. Tesla allows for in my opinion anyway an unusually wide latitude on toe and probably too much Toe in frankly. particularly at the rear. You can't really tell if the alignment is optimal without looking at the numbers on the sheet.
Yeah I think they did this for "safety", basically to prevent rotation, but they overdid it.

Reactions: dfwatt
Previously owned a 2003 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution for 15 years. I enjoyed it for many years but it was time to "evolve" to the latest and greatest. Occasionally I miss the manual transmission and being 1,000lbs lighter but the Model 3 Performance makes up for it in technology and instant torque.

I am let down by acceleration over say 70/80mph. My stage 1 MK7 Golf R is on par if not faster above 80mph.

Should have bought the used 2018 TTE700 RS3 I was eye balling!

For a daily driver these cars are hard to beat though; seeing how I am not a race car every day that is why I ended up with the model 3 performance!

I am let down by acceleration over say 70/80mph. My stage 1 MK7 Golf R is on par if not faster above 80mph.

Should have bought the used 2018 TTE700 RS3 I was eye balling!

For a daily driver these cars are hard to beat though; seeing how I am not a race car every day that is why I ended up with the model 3 performance!

I think that is the general consensus. The Model 3 is a great all around vehicle and makes for an excellent daily driver, however, for the enthusiast the car lacks some soul and driving engagement. I am curious if other manufacturers will be able be able to inject some more character into their performance oriented EVs. Drive modes, less restrictive nannies, less weight, gearing to increase high speed performance, magnetic ride suspension, sportier seats, HUD, etc.

Reactions: Apone
Twin turbo Gen 3 mustang 1k rwhp. Haven’t gotten my car but I can tell you that filling up on e85 and constantly on edge about something breaking is definitely not the way to go. Sure all those horses are good for bragging rights but when do you actually get to use it on shitty streets and traffic. I experienced fast but the M3P on a few test drives is more than enough for the street and it’s usable and it’s comfortable and has a good sound system. That is a win for me.

I do wonder if the battery pack still has some juice left in it for software updates for more power, I’m sure it’s at its limitations but I wish the top end was more exhilarating to say the least.

the future doesn’t look bright for ICE cars but I dream of owning a turbo Lamb or viper just for the experience. Maybe one day.

Reactions: alexGS
Twin turbo Gen 3 mustang 1k rwhp. Haven’t gotten my car but I can tell you that filling up on e85 and constantly on edge about something breaking is definitely not the way to go. Sure all those horses are good for bragging rights but when do you actually get to use it on shitty streets and traffic. I experienced fast but the M3P on a few test drives is more than enough for the street and it’s usable and it’s comfortable and has a good sound system. That is a win for me.

the future doesn’t look bright for ICE cars but I dream of owning a turbo Lamb or viper just for the experience. Maybe one day.
Yeah, that Mustang is definitely not daily driver material anymore. :)

Reactions: jackie.mp3
you’re absolutely right. I remind myself everyday that I will be able to drive in the rain again..
I have a M3P and I can punch it in the rain and your are glued to the pavement as if it was bone dry. The traction control is very different in these cars. It is very effective but it is a bit too much for my taste. I would prefer a sport mode that relaxes the nannies a bit to make the car a bit more playful. That said, there is no drama when you punch it from the stoplight, no wheel spin, no noise (maybe a slight high pitch whine). In fact, 0-80mph in this car is so quick and effortless that it kind of ruined the whole idea of 0-60mph times we all grew up talking about. I think 0-60mph times are worthless metric at this point. Nowadays, I am more interested in what other improvements can be made to the driving characteristics of performance EVs.

Reactions: Apone and Wood1030
I have a M3P and I can punch it in the rain and your are glued to the pavement as if it was bone dry. The traction control is very different in these cars. It is very effective but it is a bit too much for my taste. I would prefer a sport mode that relaxes the nannies a bit to make the car a bit more playful. That said, there is no drama when you punch it from the stoplight, no wheel spin, no noise (maybe a slight high pitch whine). In fact, 0-80mph in this car is so quick and effortless that it kind of ruined the whole idea of 0-60mph times we all grew up talking about. I think 0-60mph times are worthless metric at this point. Nowadays, I am more interested in what other improvements can be made to the driving characteristics of performance EVs.
Absolutely, even my girlfriend said the M3P wasn’t as thrilling (in a dramatic way) as the mustang granted I’d turn down the boost setting with her because even I am not confident in driving a death machine. That said I was really appreciative when I was able to somewhat gun the M3P in wet conditions. I still happen to feather the throttle for some odd reason because at 60 even the mustang would spin on drag radials in dry weather… as you can see I’m still regaining that confidence slowly but surely. That said it’s nice to be able to zip around slow drivers without trying to not go into boost. Like many have mentioned point and shoot.

Rs3 is really close. With stage 1 tune I would say RS3 wins. Warranty wise though I agree
RS3 would be the closest, but reality... it’s too small for me. The A3/S3/RS3 just lacks any curb appeal. It’s a hard pass for me. I’d never even consider one.

Add in the premium gas and it’s a non-starter by comparison. I paid 3.50-4.xx a gallon for premium here in NYC. Brutal.

Same goes for any Volkswagen Golf iteration. I hear you, they drive well, but I’m not a Volkswagen Golf person. Wouldn’t drive it if they gave me one. I’d immediately sell it and buy something else.

This is the sheet from the alignment I got done straight after installing the springs. I ran like this for nearly a year, and was getting the inner edge rear tire wear. I more recently had Tesla redo the alignment, but they didn't give me a sheet. I've noticed it's still happening though. I crudely measured the rear toe and camber myself yesterday. Toe is around 0.3deg in, so even more inwards than before. I might try yours and @MasterC17 suggestion of zero toe. I had a look yesterday and there's plenty of adjustment left in the camber arms. Any issue if I just adjust them a couple mm out myself, without touching anything else?

Attachments

• Wheel Alignment 200530.png
    Wheel Alignment 200530.png
    904.4 KB · Views: 51
RS3 would be the closest, but reality... it’s too small for me. The A3/S3/RS3 just lacks any curb appeal. It’s a hard pass for me. I’d never even consider one.

Add in the premium gas and it’s a non-starter by comparison. I paid 3.50-4.xx a gallon for premium here in NYC. Brutal.

Same goes for any Volkswagen Golf iteration. I hear you, they drive well, but I’m not a Volkswagen Golf person. Wouldn’t drive it if they gave me one. I’d immediately sell it and buy something else.
This. It’s always compared to the RS3 without taking into account the RS3 is tiny inside. There’s no way I could fit in one with a helmet so it was instantly off my list as nasty as they can be.