Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3P - Who switched from a (true) sports car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It was a 981 Cayman.

I would've kept it if I could. It's a different type of driving experience from the Model 3.

Keep it if you can 👍

Let me know when you're reading for suspension and wheels ☺️

Danny
Sorry, it's a fairly small photo and it looked like a 718. Yes, I'll keep the 987 S for now, but would like to move on from ICE if possible. Yes, I'm reading for suspension and wheels, but most folks seem to buy the Performance and then mount 18's, coil-overs, etc. I'm hoping to go the other way and start with the LR and add the Party Box, forged 18" wheels, coil-overs, and camber adjusters. I may be kidding myself, but can either still cancel my LR order and bite the P bullet or keep the Porsche. I won't know for sure until it's too late and I've bought the "wrong" car I suppose.

You will hate the car if you drive your car reasonablely well. The stability control is annoying
This is the one driving dynamic I don't like about the Model 3s. The chassis is just not playful enough for enthusiasts. I actually enjoy the driving dynamics of my wife's SR+ over my M3P. You really feel the extra weight over the nose of the LR and M3P, the SR+ feels more balanced like a mid-engine car and drops 400lbs.

I am actually looking forward to see if GM releases a sports coupe EV, maybe something to replace the Camaro in a few years. An RWD only sports coupe with Magnetic Ride suspension, some type of LSD setup so it doesn't feel so computer controlled/limited. Not a fan of the Tesla open diff setup. We need the EV powertrain and stability control tuned for driving enthusiasts, relax the damn nannies, maybe a sport mode. Some real sporty seats that can hold you in place, aggressive 19" staggered stance with those new Michelin Pilot EV tires. We also need to ditch the iPad dash and bring back a real cockpit that envelops the driver with cool gauges and a HUD.

This is the one driving dynamic I don't like about the Model 3s. The chassis is just not playful enough for enthusiasts. I actually enjoy the driving dynamics of my wife's SR+ over my M3P. You really feel the extra weight over the nose of the LR and M3P, the SR+ feels more balanced like a mid-engine car and drops 400lbs.

I am actually looking forward to see if GM releases a sports coupe EV, maybe something to replace the Camaro in a few years. An RWD only sports coupe with Magnetic Ride suspension, some type of LSD setup so it doesn't feel so computer controlled/limited. Not a fan of the Tesla open diff setup. We need the EV powertrain and stability control tuned for driving enthusiasts, relax the damn nannies, maybe a sport mode. Some real sporty seats that can hold you in place, aggressive 19" staggered stance with those new Michelin Pilot EV tires. We also need to ditch the iPad dash and bring back a real cockpit that envelops the driver with cool gauges and a HUD.
Well you're the eternal optimist. After seeing the vulnerability of the Chevy bolt to battery fires and seeing how GM treated people whose cars were destroyed including how they did not replace the car and still expected people to pay off their loans, you are braver than me when it comes to even thinking about buying something from GM. Wouldn't touch any of their products with a ten-foot pole no matter what sporty features it might pretend to have.

Reactions: TexasTezla
I was afraid of that. Yes, I do drive at least reasonably well. I've tracked the car along with many others. I'll keep the Porsche for now. I live in the mountains where gloriously twisty roads start literally at my driveway. I'm hoping that the MMP Party Box will do what I want after the coil-overs, suspension upgrades and better tires. Then perhaps I'll sell the Cayman S. I do love that car!
With the way the value is on the Porsches, you might as well sell it now, buy a P or a plaid. Enjoy it for a little white and go back and buy another one.

I just paid a lot of money for the Porsche, it makes me sick

Sorry, it's a fairly small photo and it looked like a 718. Yes, I'll keep the 987 S for now, but would like to move on from ICE if possible. Yes, I'm reading for suspension and wheels, but most folks seem to buy the Performance and then mount 18's, coil-overs, etc. I'm hoping to go the other way and start with the LR and add the Party Box, forged 18" wheels, coil-overs, and camber adjusters. I may be kidding myself, but can either still cancel my LR order and bite the P bullet or keep the Porsche. I won't know for sure until it's too late and I've bought the "wrong" car I suppose.

Everyone and their mommas will tell you to get the performance and you know you should. Unless you also plan on replacing the brakes and don't care for the acceleration.

Well you're the eternal optimist. After seeing the vulnerability of the Chevy bolt to battery fires and seeing how GM treated people whose cars were destroyed including how they did not replace the car and still expected people to pay off their loans, you are braver than me when it comes to even thinking about buying something from GM. Wouldn't touch any of their products with a ten-foot pole no matter what sporty features it might pretend to have.
I have been really pleased with my Corvettes and Camaros over the years. Great performance, styling, driving dynamics, etc. I agree GM still has to prove they can build a reliable EV. I just tend to get bored quickly with cars. I started driving my Miata again, which always puts a smile on my face.

• Love
Reactions: Dolemite
Everyone and their mommas will tell you to get the performance and you know you should. Unless you also plan on replacing the brakes and don't care for the acceleration.
I recently sold my M3P. Maybe I am getting old but you eventually get used to the acceleration and it requires more than that to please a driving enthusiast. I have 10 times the fun in my Miata than my M3P. The M3P is a rocket off the line and then that is the highlight. In a proper sports car, you can experience much more driving engagement. Engine vibration, exhaust note, rowing your own gears, top down, lightweight and more tossable, LSD RWD tail happy fun. I also prefer a cockpit with gauges that surrounds the driver and sporty seats with bolstering. I am hopeful we will eventually see some affordable sports coupe EVs hit the market that have great driving dynamics. GM, Dodge and Ford will all have some sort of sports EV sedan or coupe at some point.

I recently sold my M3P. Maybe I am getting old but you eventually get used to the acceleration and it requires more than that to please a driving enthusiast. I have 10 times the fun in my Miata than my M3P. The M3P is a rocket off the line and then that is the highlight. In a proper sports car, you can experience much more driving engagement. Engine vibration, exhaust note, rowing your own gears, top down, lightweight and more tossable, LSD RWD tail happy fun. I also prefer a cockpit with gauges that surrounds the driver and sporty seats with bolstering. I am hopeful we will eventually see some affordable sports coupe EVs hit the market that have great driving dynamics. GM, Dodge and Ford will all have some sort of sports EV sedan or coupe at some point.
We certainly have different takes on engine noise and vibration. As someone once said about Microsoft stuff, they're a bug not a feature. But I suspect what you're describing is that you prefer Dynamics over Numbers. Me too. But that's why I transformed my Model 3 Performance with the MPP suspension options including particularly replacing the front lower control arm bushing. There is not much about my car that stock other than the drivetrain. Different brakes, suspension, bushings, trailing arms, traction arms, Tires and Wheels, etc etc. Handling is in a different universe. And unlike you, I do not find that the instant-on and amazingly linear acceleration never gets old. My wife is the same and she was no version of a car person. She punches it every chance she gets. It's scary to contemplate what the Plaid or for that matter the new Roadster would be like. I don't believe we can really use much of the Model 3's full acceleration. . . at least not for very long.

I love my M3P for daily driving/cruising. I would never equate it to a true sports car.

Had many a performance/"true" sports car in the past (both P-cars, F-cars etc.), and then got into tracking/club racing. Once you hit the track with a dedicated track car, you soon realize "street" sports cars will never give you the same "feel and thrill" of driving....

IMHO, street sports cars are just cop-magnets and Sunday "coffee-cars" driven to the local cars and coffee meet. :cool:

front-side3 copy-adjust.jpg
rear2.jpg

I have been really pleased with my Corvettes and Camaros over the years. Great performance, styling, driving dynamics, etc. I agree GM still has to prove they can build a reliable EV. I just tend to get bored quickly with cars. I started driving my Miata again, which always puts a smile on my face.
I rented a Camaro recently. Utter dog poo. Handling of a boat and an interior that looked like a load of plastic junk had just been thrown into a car. My wife made me take it back after 2 days to get a 'decent' car...we got a BMW...superior in every sense. I will NEVER buy a Camaro!

Reactions: Josie67
We certainly have different takes on engine noise and vibration. As someone once said about Microsoft stuff, they're a bug not a feature. But I suspect what you're describing is that you prefer Dynamics over Numbers. Me too. But that's why I transformed my Model 3 Performance with the MPP suspension options including particularly replacing the front lower control arm bushing. There is not much about my car that stock other than the drivetrain. Different brakes, suspension, bushings, trailing arms, traction arms, Tires and Wheels, etc etc. Handling is in a different universe. And unlike you, I do not find that the instant-on and amazingly linear acceleration never gets old. My wife is the same and she was no version of a car person. She punches it every chance she gets. It's scary to contemplate what the Plaid or for that matter the new Roadster would be like. I don't believe we can really use much of the Model 3's full acceleration. . . at least not for very long.
I need to get some of those and maybe MPP FUCAs... in any case, the car is so capable that to make it "engaging" you need to be approaching truly horrifying speeds. I'm genuinely worried that as this new era of performance evolves, da gubmint is gonna start cracking down on "fast cars" because the "unwashed plebeians" shouldn't have such capabilities.

I need to get some of those and maybe MPP FUCAs... in any case, the car is so capable that to make it "engaging" you need to be approaching truly horrifying speeds. I'm genuinely worried that as this new era of performance evolves, da gubmint is gonna start cracking down on "fast cars" because the "unwashed plebeians" shouldn't have such capabilities.
When the govmint as you put it can't even get people to behave sensibly in relationship to getting a simple vaccine, it's incredibly unlikely that they are going to start cracking down on electric vehicle performance. On the other hand flagrant speeding in a Plaid will get you the same loss of license that you would get in an ICE vehicle.

Last edited:
Yeah, it sounds like you transformed the handling of your car. I grew up driving cars that are not absolutely glued to the ground with very invasive computer traction and stability control. Over time I have found it more fun to drive cars that you can actually approach the limits in. I think this is why I find the BRZ/Miata lightweight cars more fun to drive. For daily driving work the instant torque, one pedal driving, smooth quiet powertrain are quite nice but when I am in the mood to drive I still appreciate the drama associated with engine and exhaust noise. I realize those days are numbers but I will enjoy both EV and ICE for a while.

Reactions: dfwatt
I rented a Camaro recently. Utter dog poo. Handling of a boat and an interior that looked like a load of plastic junk had just been thrown into a car. My wife made me take it back after 2 days to get a 'decent' car...we got a BMW...superior in every sense. I will NEVER buy a Camaro!
What trim? The Camaro 1LE and ZL1 are some of the best handling sports coupes in the industry and put down fantastic numbers at the track. As for the plastic interior I would say it is not any worse than a Model 3. BMW has some nice cars but if you ask many diehard BMW fans they will probably tell you they are not the same BMW from years ago. Not to mention owning them out of warranty is a scary proposition.

I agree. I had a C7 Grand Sport and a Model 3 Performance and while they are both very capable you can't really enjoy them on the street without pushing them to absurd limits.