Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3P?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am very happy with my M3P. I confess it spends most of its time in chill mode because sport is a bit uncomfortable for routine driving - the pedal becomes very sensitive. I don’t have a problem with range. I like the look and handling. It is very sure footed, but I suspect that all the Teslas are. It is good fun when you do need to get sharply through a bit of traffic or off the mark at the lights

Get acceleration boost. I think it’s 2000 plus tax. Much less expensive and the only other difference I see is the wheels.
That's not true at all. The acceleration boost on a LR is still considerably slower than a 3P, the 3P has bigger brakes, has lowered suspension, and has a track mode, which allows you to control power distribution. I would actually question why anyone would buy a LR with an acceleration boost, when the Performance ends up only being about $7k more.

• Disagree
Reactions: hcdavis3
In all honesty, my SR+ smokes almost every car when taking off from the lights, no pun intended 😊

The lines are less blurred when talking about ICE cars. My last car was a SQ7, I chose it over Q7 because I can see I’m getting a lot of car and value. Now, with Tesla, I still get the same car with the same vegan seats between SR+ and P, wanting to see if there’s more than the additional 2 motors.

LR is out because I am comfortable with the range on both the SR+ and P.

In all honesty, my SR+ smokes almost every car when taking off from the lights, no pun intended 😊

The lines are less blurred when talking about ICE cars. My last car was a SQ7, I chose it over Q7 because I can see I’m getting a lot of car and value. Now, with Tesla, I still get the same car with the same vegan seats between SR+ and P, wanting to see if there’s more than the additional 2 motors.

Between SR+ and P you also get: All wheel drive, significantly better brakes, 20" wheels and tyres, significantly better audio system (one of the best in the biz) and the "nuclear" performance of the P.

The P is a very high performance sports sedan, similar in capability to the BMW M3, Merc C63.

Reactions: m4rtin
The LR has a better sound system than the SR. I think the same as the P. I find the LR acceleration rather amazing. Close to that which I experienced in an aerobatic aircraft doing stunt flying and another on a huge American roller coaster. I see no need to buy the $3k acceleration boost which gets the 0-100 down into the 3.x seconds but still less than the P. It is only less than the 3P because the 3P inverter is more powerful. LR and 3P batteries the same. The 3P brakes are better and of course the acceleration is even more stunning. Perhaps if I was 34 not 74 I'd go for the P.....

Reactions: AussieOwner
Placed a deposit for a M3P.

Thank you to all the valuable comments!
I went through the same. The sensible me said LR. Still great performance but also $11k less. I thought long and hard and decided M3P because I know I'll regret not getting it if I didn't. My main concern is still the colour. I wanted blue and ordered white (then the allocation sold out and I couldn't change it). White is a great colour due to the pearl and will be cooler in summer so is the smarter colour. But blue looks great!
I don't think you'll regret the M3P.

To answer your original question, which is academic since you've ordered the right one ;)
Deciding factors:
  • bigger brakes (it weighs 1.85T, as you know)
  • track mode
  • 3.4s 0-100. Not just really fast, mad fast!
Reservations:
  • $11k more
  • power curve very different to LR so LR actually pulls back and past after a period (rolling start at 60mph)
  • Worried about potholes and 21" wheels
  • Worried about kerb rash on the wheels that poke out from the tyres (I wonder if I can put wider tyres on them?)
  • The wheels' design turns a different way on one side to the other. I wish there was a right and a left pair.

Reactions: hcdavis3
white is my fav Tesla colour. Black is a pain to keep clean, not a fan of blue (sorry Culfy!) and Mazda does a better red IMO. Deciding factor is the performance.

I see 1 month connectivity included, I recall it was 1 year connectivity for P?