Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3SR+ or M3LRAWD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We did couple return trips to London (200ish miles) comfortably in the kona 64kw in motorway speed and rain but did not managed/dare it on the m3p+. Had to stop at SC to top up a bit on the way home.

Plenty of similar reports, but to my mind / on-paper this (200 miles in the wet) should be entirely possible in M3LR or M3P. I wonder why its proving to not be possible?

Every other ev ive driven has struggled when putting your foot down.

Drag Times hired a track to do a comparison of Model-S and a Maclaren 650S ... but it was raining. So they ran some tests on just the Tesla

2.7s 0-60s in the wet (that was back in the 2016 model)

I have large-ish roundabout under dual carriageway with lights near me. I can stop for lights, taking the first exit, and the car is happy to do that, in the wet, using launch control, absolutely zero drama. Its a reasonable right-bend and then up the ramp. Actually I think its a more impressive mates'-demo than a straight-line throttle-mash.

Plenty of similar reports, but to my mind / on-paper this (200 miles in the wet) should be entirely possible in M3LR or M3P. I wonder why its proving to not be possible?

Drag Times hired a track to do a comparison of Model-S and a Maclaren 650S ... but it was raining. So they ran some tests on just the Tesla

2.7s 0-60s in the wet (that was back in the 2016 model)

I have large-ish roundabout under dual carriageway with lights near me. I can stop for lights, taking the first exit, and the car is happy to do that, in the wet, using launch control, absolutely zero drama. Its a reasonable right-bend and then up the ramp. Actually I think its a more impressive mates'-demo than a straight-line throttle-mash.
To clarify, every other ev that isn’t a Tesla. Ie e golf and Kia e Niro. Tesla seemed very comfortable and responsive. As id like it to be.

I suspect that the slightly higher residual on the LR may well compensate in part for higher initial cost, too, so the true cost of the additional range, better interior features, AWD vs RWD, better performance etc may be a bit less than it seems. Only time will tell if this is the case, though.

You'll almost always get more for the higher trim, but its never enough to offset the higher cost. You only get back a fraction of what you spend. So if you are looking strictly at future recovery of funds spent, the more you spend, the more you lose. That should be obvious for any car purchase (except for some collectors items)

You'll almost always get more for the higher trim, but its never enough to offset the higher cost. You only get back a fraction of what you spend. So if you are looking strictly at future recovery of funds spent, the more you spend, the more you lose. That should be obvious for any car purchase (except for some collectors items)

True, but as I went on to say:

I guess there will be differences between those who don't want to own a car and those that do. I've always bought cars outright, and usually keep them for several years (last Prius Plug-in was typical, owned it from new for just over five years). There's a bit depreciation hit in the first year or so, but then it tends to even out over the next few years (the last Prius cost me about £210/month in depreciation). I've always taken the view that if I've bought the car and am happy with it, then the price doesn't really matter. Money sat in the bank has been earning next to sod all for years anyway, and I'd rather have something tangible that I can enjoy than a bit more money sat in an account. For years I owned aeroplanes, and they are far worse than cars for soaking up money, worse even than yachts, I think, but damned good fun. As the old saying goes, you can't take it with you...

There's a tangible value in having a car with a higher spec, better performance, AWD etc. I could never justify owning aeroplanes in terms of value, they were always just toys. Maybe toys used to go and have a very expensive coffee at an airfield 50 miles away, just for fun, but still just toys. I view cars in much the same way, except they are partially functional as well.

That’s good to know. Every other ev ive driven has struggled when putting your foot down.

Yes, it's an aspect of the car that really surprised me. I describe it as "invisible" traction control because it's so rare that you are aware of it!

Pushing it in most rear wheel drive cars of yesteryear... if you apply early power coming out of a corner where a questionable surface then gives you that kick out, needing a swift lift and a steering correction ... can be either fun or scary. In the Tesla in the same situation you may feel a mere hint of movement (more often none) and detect a softening of acceleration but the potential "problem" is taken care of with no drama. Nevertheless it doesn't feel "over tamed", the effect is relatively subtle. The car is very flat and planted with it's low centre of gravity. The time you feel the weight of the car is under braking from (very) high speed when you do need to press the pedal pretty hard. However, obviously the SR+ is not optimised for performance driving so if that's high on your agenda you know which model to choose!

Though I've done some lary driving in years gone by I now mostly delight in how the car feels when driven smoothly and economically. It's a gorgeous drive in a light airy cabin, in comfortable seats etc etc (and so it bloody should be ... even the SR+ costs twice what I paid for my first house)!

And would this be any different for LR v SR do you think? Possibly worse due to the extra weight?

Can't compare I'm afraid. The regen is so capable in normal driving that the brakes really don't get much of a work out. If driving for performance you would want to take account of this i.e. give them a bit of preparatory action before you are really going to depend on them! This is entirely to be expected. (When my brother used to have a tuning garage he would occasionally receive a car from a tentative driver who would complain of poor brake performance. Knowing that brakes would have been so lightly used for quite a period part of his assessment included giving the brakes a decent shake down on a test drive. Very often by the time he got back into the workshop the brakes were back to normal ... follow up with a basic brake service ... happy customer!

It’s mad, but this is an opportunity to drive a very nice car, compared to a polo or similar.

Quite agree, these cars are expensive, but personally for me worth every penny. If you can afford it there is no need to try an justify them with man maths, just get one an enjoy!

A Kona is more efficient that is beyond doubt, but cars for me have to deliver more than just numbers on a page, its about the ownership experience. All I can say after 40K miles driving these things is they are the best cars I've owned by some margin.

Expensive, unreliable(very), not all that efficient, on paper I should hate our Tesla, but instead its the opposite :).

Reactions: Roy W.
A Kona is more efficient that is beyond doubt

Reports I read on here suggest that, but the published stats want to tell a different story

EVComparison.jpg

Compare Cars Side-by-Side

I wonder how much of the perceived range difference between something like a 64 kWh Kona and a 75 kWh (?) M3 is down to the driver? Is it possible that people that buy something like a 64 kWh Kona may be more interested in economy, so drive paying more attention to minimising energy consumption, than people who drive a M3, and may, possibly, be just a bit tempted to use the much higher performance?

I know that if my wife's in the car with me I tend to use around 230 Wh/mile, whereas if I'm in the car alone I tend to use more than 300 Wh/mile. Yesterday is a good example. I went into town alone and Connected Drive tells me that the journey used 340 Wh/mile. I know full well why, as there was a youngster in a loud and much modified Golf behind me who thought he had a quick car, and I couldn't resist just using the (modest) acceleration of the i3. Can't wait to get the M3, partly for moments like that. Childish, I know...

tl;dr

Just in case its not been mentioned though.

A car battery has a limited number of usable charge cycles, they don't suddenly die, but lets say this is 70%-80% usable charge. Lets say its 500 charge cycles (full cycles, not top ups, but lifetime range remains same).

So, say a SR hypothetically gets its 250 miles on a full charge, then battery lifespan is 125,000 miles. Say a LR gets 348 miles on full charge, then its lifespan is 174,000 miles.

Of course, 500 charges is finger in air and will be dependent on many things, likewise, so are 250 and 348 range cos you won't get manufacturers quoted ranges either. Also, the number of times that a SR is discharged below 10% and charges above 90% may well be more than a LR owner needs to do. So a LR will likely stay in the battery sweet spot more often than a SR.

For those that do not own their vehicles for long periods, then this is largely academic.

I know full well why, as there was a youngster in a loud and much modified Golf behind me who thought he had a quick car, and I couldn't resist just using the (modest) acceleration of the i3. Can't wait to get the M3, partly for moments like that. Childish, I know...

Please don't do that too often ;) Once they realise their noisy car is on a hiding to nothing getting beaten by a silent Model 3, they will all be buying them. Much as I would love to see wide spread take up of EV's, at least with a ricer you know when they are around and causing a problem.

My personal approach is to simply drive normally. I use chill mode. Then if they want a race off the lights, I either pull of normally and let them accelerate into the distance and give them nothing obvious to brag about, or, just hold right back and make them think they done good so they can brag to their mates and then at a later date get totally thrashed by another M3.

I'm so much looking forward to the day though, when AP can take them on the lights and I can go waving at them with both hands as I accelerate off into the distance :D

• Funny
Reactions: Glan gluaisne
I wonder how much of the perceived range difference between something like a 64 kWh Kona and a 75 kWh (?) M3 is down to the driver? Is it possible that people that buy something like a 64 kWh Kona may be more interested in economy, so drive paying more attention to minimising energy consumption, than people who drive a M3, and may, possibly, be just a bit tempted to use the much higher performance?

I know that if my wife's in the car with me I tend to use around 230 Wh/mile, whereas if I'm in the car alone I tend to use more than 300 Wh/mile. Yesterday is a good example. I went into town alone and Connected Drive tells me that the journey used 340 Wh/mile. I know full well why, as there was a youngster in a loud and much modified Golf behind me who thought he had a quick car, and I couldn't resist just using the (modest) acceleration of the i3. Can't wait to get the M3, partly for moments like that. Childish, I know...
Currently I have an Octavia and my wife has a Mini. Whichever of us is driving we find we travel much faster in the Skoda without realising it since the ride is so much more refined. Could this be a factor? Speed makes such a difference to range on an EV you would not have to go more than a couple of MPH faster in an M3 than in the Kona to find that the range was dropping a lot faster. Not saying the Kona is bad at motorway speeds, never driven one, but I'm sure it and the Tesla are at least different to some degree.