Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mach E in the wild

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They made the hood pretty big. I wonder if there is something under there or if it's just a big frunk.

I think it looks better than the Y but the mustang emblems and tail lights are actually hurting the look of this car.

Someone Photoshop Tesla logos and Tesla tail lights onto it. Also smooth out the bumps in the hood.

I think it looks pretty good. If I didn't already have a Model 3, I'd seriously consider getting this next year instead of a Model Y. I'd prefer not to have to mess with charger adapters in our garage and I like the Supercharger network and the range of the Y vs. this. Aesthetically, I think it looks better than the Y. I think fit and finish-wise, it will probably be better as well. I had a 2015 Mustang for a few years and it was built quite well, especially for being the first of a model year like the Model Y currently is.

Reactions: Atrium
VW's competitor leaked today and the Mach E looks better, in my opinion. (photos taken from jalopnik).
b7xds9eyuvcboglwsp2t.jpg
cczqbtz49xthln6jbke9.jpg

Reactions: Reeler and Fred42
Man, I’m just not a fan of its looks at all. I think the Model Y looks much better. I really don’t understand why Ford decided to make this a crossover. As a sports car, it could’ve stood alone until the Roadster came out. Now competing against the e-Tron and Model Y, it seems doomed to fail.

Man, I’m just not a fan of its looks at all. I think the Model Y looks much better. I really don’t understand why Ford decided to make this a crossover. As a sports car, it could’ve stood alone until the Roadster came out. Now competing against the e-Tron and Model Y, it seems doomed to fail.

Doomed to fail? There are thousands more pre-registrations than the number of Mach E's that Ford will build for the 2021 model year.

These photos don't seem to do the Mach E justice - some of the angles really over accentuate closer parts of the car (i.e. much larger). However, Lukez, you saw it in person and noted it was more bulbous than expected so that says a lot right there. Overall, I'm not that enamored with most of the electric offerings from a cosmetic appearance with the exception of the Model S, i-Pace and Taycan. A bummer that you have to drop decent coin to get the "good looking" electrics. I actually liked the looks of the Mach E, but now I'm not so sure...waiting to see one in person for sure.

These photos don't seem to do the Mach E justice - some of the angles really over accentuate closer parts of the car (i.e. much larger). However, Lukez, you saw it in person and noted it was more bulbous than expected so that says a lot right there. Overall, I'm not that enamored with most of the electric offerings from a cosmetic appearance with the exception of the Model S, i-Pace and Taycan. A bummer that you have to drop decent coin to get the "good looking" electrics. I actually liked the looks of the Mach E, but now I'm not so sure...waiting to see one in person for sure.

The hood was very round and tall, almost made you wonder if there is a huge engine inside of it (the highest point on the hood was not the back end, maybe 2/3 to the back of it which is why I say bubbly). My wife made the same comment. The panels and everything was bubbly all around, much more than I thought it would be. Was disappointed in the design because of this

VW's competitor leaked today and the Mach E looks better, in my opinion. (photos taken from jalopnik).
View attachment 552759 View attachment 552760
The ID4 looks much better than the Mach E, and I suspect it will look even better in a color other than white.

We don't know, but I wouldn't make an assumption that Ford is more on top of software than VW.

Very cool and fortunate to have spied this! Thanks for uploading! I'm also not a huge fan of the styling, but eye of the beholder and all that. Top of my head:
  1. How big are these in comparison to the Y? It looks like a Kona or Niro, both of which I found puny and cramped compared to the RAV4 and CX-5 I've owned.
  2. I didn't scrutinize every photo, but the fit and finish looks really solid for a CTF. That's one area where large mfrs will no doubt continue to excel.
  3. Is that a data-logging device in the backseat on the floor behind the driver's seat? Looks like a parallel cable plugged in. Cool.
  4. Shakespeare fan. I wonder how they select the employees who get to test these. That would be SO incredibly cool.
  5. Can anyone zoom in enough to read the receipt on the backseat?

4000 of these are being produced prior to "production" models.

I don't think the Model Y or Tesla's other models had that much testing. Tesla generally releases quickly and then updates every week with new changes to get it right in 6-12 months. Other brands test before hand for 6-12 months and do changes once a year. FWIW, I think the Ford competition got the Model Y released early. Rivian got the Cybertruck accelerated. Nikola got the Semi kickstarted.

EM is competitive and reacts to the other brands. Releasing 6-12 months earlier than one should deflates the competition. If the Mach E was out first, I think we would be thinking about the Model Y differently.

iamnid said:
View attachment 552759 View attachment 552760
The ID4 looks much better than the Mach E, and I suspect it will look even better in a color other than white.

We don't know, but I wouldn't make an assumption that Ford is more on top of software than VW.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I'm not sure I realized I was replying with a contradiction to your opinion. Sorry.

Same xxx like with Jag and Audi will boil down, inefficient motors with low battery lives. Years upon years of 14hour shifts since 2008 have given Tesla a huge advantage. Did you read about VW blaming suppliers about thousands of ID.3s rusting in open lots. Just like the rest of corporate world, they want to outsource everything to decrease liability, unfortunately a decent EV is not just a mere sum of the parts. My fear is that many will entirely give up on EVs once they experience one of these hyped but half-baked iterations from legacy manufacturers.

they experience one of these hyped but half-baked iterations from legacy manufacturers---unfortunately, some avoid your brand due to years of Yugo like quality control issues. The car that never needs service is found in overfilled service centers.
tesla y fit and finish.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Reeler
they experience one of these hyped but half-baked iterations from legacy manufacturers---unfortunately, some avoid your brand due to years of Yugo like quality control issues. The car that never needs service is found in overfilled service centers.

Interesting. It does seem like when my Y needed service due to an unfortunate incident, I got in the next day. I'm curious, how fast is ford getting to all of the cars affected by the safety recalls this month? I mean, big month for Ford, right? Millions of cars with faulty doors that weren't fixed the first two times they recalled them, millions more with faulty brakes. Bummer. Here's a Mach-e picture for you as well. Lot's more too.

Hey, I like the Mach-e and hope it succeeds. Coming on here though with a dumb ass post is just juvenile. Cars have panel alignment issues, the Mach-e will have them too. Maybe talk about things that matter. I know you're convinced the Mach-e will equal the efficiency of the Y. Maybe talk about that. I mean, I think you're wrong, but at least it would be a meaningful discussion. The fact is, I hope you're right about that. I like EVs and would like to see all of them do better, the Mach-e included. Neither slamming Tesla nor slamming the Mach-e will help anyone. Intelligent critiques might. Try it.
20200220_114457.jpg

Interesting. It does seem like when my Y needed service due to an unfortunate incident, I got in the next day. I'm curious, how fast is ford getting to all of the cars affected by the safety recalls this month? I mean, big month for Ford, right? Millions of cars with faulty doors that weren't fixed the first two times they recalled them, millions more with faulty brakes. Bummer. Here's a Mach-e picture for you as well. Lot's more too.

Hey, I like the Mach-e and hope it succeeds. Coming on here though with a dumb ass post is just juvenile. Cars have panel alignment issues, the Mach-e will have them too. Maybe talk about things that matter. I know you're convinced the Mach-e will equal the efficiency of the Y. Maybe talk about that. I mean, I think you're wrong, but at least it would be a meaningful discussion. The fact is, I hope you're right about that. I like EVs and would like to see all of them do better, the Mach-e included. Neither slamming Tesla nor slamming the Mach-e will help anyone. Intelligent critiques might. Try it.
View attachment 558690
Feel better now?

Reactions: Reeler