Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Major 2021 Model X refresh pending [Update: Unveiled January 27, 2021]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm in the market for an electric SUV with 3 rows (3 kids and their friends, cousins).
I'm waiting for the results of this refresh to decide between the Model X or a long wait for the Rivian R1S. The R1S will have the horizontal center screen, which I prefer over the vertical.
I am betting that this refresh will include a horizontal center screen. Tesla needs to speed up their software progress, and needs to improve the UI a LOT. One way to speed up UI development is to eliminate the need to accommodate both a horizontal and vertical screen layout.

I also can't decide between the 6 seat layout and the 7 seat layout. I want easy access to the 3rd row that the 6 seat layout allows but I also want fold flat seats that the 7 seat layout gives me. The R1S only offers the 7 seat option.
So if Tesla would redesign their Model X 6 seat option to have the 2nd row fold flat, like my Mazda5 does, I would put my order in right away.

That’s called a Model Y. Available for ordering today at www.Tesla.com

Seriously, zero chance of Model X dropping its FWDs. Zero.

Ugh. Everyone has this same snarky response whenever someone brings up the FWD. "Hurr just order a model Y then" - No. The Model X is much bigger and much more capable than the model Y. A model X without the FWD would be in a completely different class of vehicle than the model Y and it's silly to pretend otherwise.

For many people the FWD are a turn off and I think it's worthwhile for Tesla to at least consider the idea of making a model X with normal doors. Personally the FWD are one of the main reasons I am seriously considering an R1S as my next vehicle. If Tesla made a model X without FWD I would buy it in a heartbeat.

Ugh. Everyone has this same snarky response whenever someone brings up the FWD. "Hurr just order a model Y then" - No. The Model X is much bigger and much more capable than the model Y. A model X without the FWD would be in a completely different class of vehicle than the model Y and it's silly to pretend otherwise.

For many people the FWD are a turn off and I think it's worthwhile for Tesla to at least consider the idea of making a model X with normal doors. Personally the FWD are one of the main reasons I am seriously considering an R1S as my next vehicle. If Tesla made a model X without FWD I would buy it in a heartbeat.

Sounds like they would have to make both. Because many, me included. Would look to alternatives rather than a model X without the falcon wing doors. The entry and egress capabilities far outweigh any of the drawbacks to them.

Sounds like they would have to make both. Because many, me included. Would look to alternatives rather than a model X without the falcon wing doors. The entry and egress capabilities far outweigh any of the drawbacks to them.

Out of curiosity what would you buy if they removed the FWD? There really isn't much competition in the 7-seat BEV market, which is why I bought the model X despite my reservations about the FWD.

• Love
Reactions: ElectricIAC

And if Tesla made a model X without the FWD's I would NOT buy it. And I currently own a 2020 X purchased in12/19 and have 20,0000 miles on it. Not sure why (other than a small minority) someone would be opposed to them. They make for easy in and out. You control them by the front screen or key fob. And they are way too cool looking.

X has FWDs to allow easier access to kids and child seats in that row. Also provides rain/snow protection while loading the kids.

Allows doors to be opened in much tighter parking spaces which would trap people inside with conventional doors.

Understand that some people do not want these "different" doors, but it was all part of the overall design to make the Model X something special.

Super bonus is that the Model X can now be used to transport Astronauts to their launch vehicles, without unhooking all their umbilical life support connections. No longer need to use the +20 year old NASA MoonBuggies.

Yup, I have that same snarky response because the FWD is the signature of a Model X. It’s what makes the X the X. There’s no way Tesla would remove it.

They have a 3 row SUV sans falcon wing door, and it’s the Model Y. Yes, it’s smaller, but that’s their alternative.

Those are the choices we have right now.

If Tesla chose to build yet another 3-row SUV without falcon wing doors, it sure wouldn’t be called the X. And there’s so many other holes in their lineup that I think it’ll be a long time before we see one. All about priorities and I just don’t see that anywhere in their top 10.

It would not be that hard for the aftermarket to provide standard hinged doors for those that wanted and would pay for it.

They already put Lambo style knife doors of standard vehicles, so no problem installing a more conventional hinged door system. Perhaps even offering a Suicide style for those still wanting something unique.

The fact that is is not being offered may indicate that there is really not much demand for standard doors.

And if Tesla made a model X without the FWD's I would NOT buy it. And I currently own a 2020 X purchased in12/19 and have 20,0000 miles on it. Not sure why (other than a small minority) someone would be opposed to them. They make for easy in and out. You control them by the front screen or key fob. And they are way too cool looking.

Reasons not to like FWD:

1) Slow to open
2) Error prone
3) Unnecessarily flashy looking and attract unwanted attention
4) A hassle to open in low-ceiling garages
5) Unsafe to open the street-side door when parallel parked on a busy road
6) Easy to hit your head on the door if you're tall and they don't open all the way

I'm fully capable of entering and exiting the back row of other vehicles with normal doors, so the extra space when FWD open doesn't really add value for me. I understand that others have different circumstances so maybe FWD is more valuable for them. But for me they are a net negative.

I also disagree that the FWD "are what makes the model X" - I think what makes the model X is that it's a large, long-range, fast, 7-seater BEV. Nothing like that exists on the market right now, which is why I bought one in spite of the FWD. But once another option comes along I will probably switch unless Tesla changes the FWD in the refresh. Just my two cents.

The fact that is is not being offered may indicate that there is really not much demand for standard doors.

This is a bit of a non-sequitur. It would be a huge job to retrofit standard doors onto the model X since you'd essentially have to rebuild the entire roof between the B and C pillars when you took the FWD out. It would be costly and probably come out janky. Not some simple job like you are implying. So the fact that people don't want to spend thousands of dollars for some Frankenstein aftermarket door mod does not indicate a lack of demand for normal doors from the OEM.

Last edited:
There are few who can afford an S/X that would settle for a 3/Y. The 3/Y are a fantastic value proposition, but the suspension alone makes them a non-starter for the S/X target audience.

Interesting proposition ... since I actually have one of each.

Both are very different but certainly wouldn’t say the X is better all the way around.

There are few who can afford an S/X that would settle for a 3/Y. The 3/Y are a fantastic value proposition, but the suspension alone makes them a non-starter for the S/X target audience.

This is exactly how I feel. I'm currently looking to upgrade from my Model 3 and get more comfortable suspension and quieter cabin at 80mph. I'm considering the S or X used with regular air suspension or Raven air suspension. Looking at 2018 with MCU2 or 2019 with Raven.

• Love
Interesting proposition ... since I actually have one of each.

Both are very different but certainly wouldn’t say the X is better all the way around.

What do you consider better about the Y? Is it just that it has newer tech (battery chemistry, heat pump, etc.) or is it something fundamental to the design? Because if it's the former that will hopefully be updated in the refresh.

• Funny
What do you consider better about the Y? Is it just that it has newer tech (battery chemistry, heat pump, etc.) or is it something fundamental to the design? Because if it's the former that will hopefully be updated in the refresh.

I’ll compare against the 3, since that’s our other vehicle (not the Y)... but the principles are the same.

The display. Much prefer single screen va the split on the X. By about 200x. Way easier to see what’s going on with the horizontal display.

The controls - the minimalist two-down for Autopilot is far superior to the X’s separate AP stalk. Do love having a real wiper stalk on X, though.

The console. Much prefer the 3/Y center console. Actually has storage space.

The drive - it’s more visceral. The 3 is like “wearing” your car. The connection between driver and road is amazing. Feels much more disconnected in the X. They’re approximately the same 0-60, but the 3 feels so much more fun than the X.

Regen is much stronger on the 3 and feels more natural. Of course the X is much heavier, so I get why .....

The power inlet on the X sucks. I can’t tell you how many times my wife’s come home and managed to not plug it in all the way. The 3, that’s never happened once.

I still cannot believe the X doesn’t have phone-as-key. I hate (hate!!) having to carry a keyfob around. I really got used to leaving the house with just my wallet & phone. Now I have to carry a key too, and that feels so 1980s ...

... and hey, my 3 has a stunning lack of front end shudder. Also a major win. :)

Both cars have a place in our stable, and we love both to death. They’re just ... different.

I don’t even notice the falcon doors until I hit my head on them. I think they’re a lot less of a big deal than the car just not being as big inside as the bigger 3 rows

I liked Model Y but I gotta say, we weren’t going to buy if that was the only 3 row option they were selling

Last edited: