Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Major 2021 Model X refresh pending [Update: Unveiled January 27, 2021]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The 4680 cells are already here, now. The Fremont facility makes quite a few every day for months and months, and LG Chem has announced they're providing Tesla with a new battery that is 5x the size and 6x the energy (same specs as 4680). Am I correct that the S and X are using the same laptop batteries since 2012? It's not a good look when the $35K 2019 Model 3 has superior battery cells compared to the latest S and X.

My guess is that the S and X will get the 4680 batteries in January with higher range and speed, along with heat pump for cold weather range, and maybe a faster MCU for playing games during FSD. I don't think the 4680 cells will be part of a body redesign this year for S or X, probably just a pack swap.

look, our Buick freakin’ Enclave crossed the 60k mark ... PLUS tax. Model X ain’t that far away. And at least here, no sales tax on the X closes the gap even further.

Of course, if Tesla can’t fix the damn media player - Sirius and Spotify both have major issues - my better half may actually ask for another Enclave instead. Gosh I hope the V11 update is a “big bang” in that department ....

My Sirius works just fine. What issues do you have with it?

Reactions: dmurphy
My Sirius works just fine. What issues do you have with it?

The channel map is screwed up. Channels labeled wrong - for example, to listen to Holly, tune to EW Radio. (See below) I’ve got at least a dozen channels like that - have to tune to Yacht Rock to listen to Pop Rocks or some nonsense. Does yours do the same?

Can’t tune by channel number either.

Both of these are things that work in every other XM radio - and even worked in the Model X before this new interface.

The actual audio part works fine but they’ve got a serious problem with how the channel map works .... and it’s been months with zero resolution. I’ve opened cases with both XM and Tesla and the answer is basically - “it tunes in channels”. Doesn’t really matter whether they’re the right ones or not, apparently.

3159F5EB-4041-4BC7-B2D0-F654B8C43E55.jpeg

Reactions: byeLT4
I stated this before. From a business stand point, there's no way they would redesign the X before the 4680 cells are production ready and mass produced. The new battery is suppose to be part of the structure. That's not something they can replace easily if they come out with a non 4680 new X now. Then in 2 or 3 years, they scrap the frame/structure and go with another one. No way.

I can see cosmetic upgrades, and/or interior changes. I can see they re-orienting the screen to landscape like 3/Y. But the X will remain as is for a few more years. They might have the newer Panasonic cells and add a bit more range, but nothing new till the 4680 cells are here.

-ThinkMac-

You're conflating two independent things, which are the new 4680 cells and the structural battery pack. It's possible to have one without the other. People are suggesting that Tesla will design a new battery pack for the 4680 cells that fits in the same spot as the current battery pack on the S/X. They are not suggesting that Tesla will redesign the pack so that it fits into the structural elements of the vehicle.

Also, there's no waiting for the 4680 cells to arrive - they're already being produced in limited quantities. It's very plausible that we could see a battery pack refresh sometime next year for the S/X.

I’m happy that they are constantly making minor (and sometimes major) behind the scene updates to the model x as well as other models. That way you don’t have to wait the normal 2-5 year cycle for technological improvements like normal cars. I do feel as though the interior has gotten old, and does not match how advanced the rest of the car is. It is a shame because all they have done is cheapen the interior since the model x launched. Hopefully this will be addressed in the next 6 months or so. It is really the only thing holding me back from ordering a model x. I really don’t love the interior. As much as the technology is ahead (by far) from other cars in the ~$100k price range, it is on par with the interior of a $20k car. It makes it a little hard to justify dropping that much money on a car that may drive and have the technology of an expensive or luxury car with nothing but a cheap feel when spending time inside of it.

• Informative
Reactions: cusetownusa
As much as the technology is ahead (by far) from other cars in the ~$100k price range, it is on par with the interior of a $20k car. It makes it a little hard to justify dropping that much money on a car that may drive and have the technology of an expensive or luxury car with nothing but a cheap feel when spending time inside of it.

You're absolutely right with all that, except maybe the $20k car is a hyperbole but certainly $50k car.

That being said, I like that it's spartan. I hate the premium car glitter actually, this feels just right.

Reactions: 5JMJ and dmurphy
You're absolutely right with all that, except maybe the $20k car is a hyperbole but certainly $50k car.

That being said, I like that it's spartan. I hate the premium car glitter actually, this feels just right.

I would second that. Not sure what kind of luxury cars reference is made to above, but the interior of the e-tron for example just feels cramped and packed with stuff and I would much rather like spending time in the X than in that car (even though the "build quality" of the Audi might be superior). But I guess everybody is free to buy the car they like. The cheap Mercedes parts in the X don't excite me, but they also don't bother me.

I would second that. Not sure what kind of luxury cars reference is made to above, but the interior of the e-tron for example just feels cramped and packed with stuff and I would much rather like spending time in the X than in that car (even though the "build quality" of the Audi might be superior). But I guess everybody is free to buy the car they like. The cheap Mercedes parts in the X don't excite me, but they also don't bother me.

I'd echo that. We had a Cadillac and Buick before the Model 3 & X -- the Tesla interiors are clearly not as plush as either of those, but 100% functional and comfortable.

I'm a huge fan, actually, of the X's cupholder situation. The lower ones are fantastic for Swell bottles and the like, while the upper are great for a to-go coffee. We did a 7,000 mile road trip this summer and they were invaluable... Simple things like that, and honestly the door handle pocket - made driving the X that far a dream.

The 4680 cells are already here, now. The Fremont facility makes quite a few every day for months and months, and LG Chem has announced they're providing Tesla with a new battery that is 5x the size and 6x the energy (same specs as 4680). Am I correct that the S and X are using the same laptop batteries since 2012? It's not a good look when the $35K 2019 Model 3 has superior battery cells compared to the latest S and X.

My guess is that the S and X will get the 4680 batteries in January with higher range and speed, along with heat pump for cold weather range, and maybe a faster MCU for playing games during FSD. I don't think the 4680 cells will be part of a body redesign this year for S or X, probably just a pack swap.

I think I'm agreeing with you as to Tesla moving towards the 4680 cells in the s&x. Perhaps even early next year. But there is an area that I don't think you're quite getting.

For the older cells, both those on the S and x and those in the model 3 and y, there is no real technological difference. Nothing but a size difference. The 4680 cells are actually made quite differently. the chemistry will be the same, but the structure makes for better construction, and energy distribution. A lot has to do with the heat transfer, of course. point being, the S and the X do not have old structural or chemical technology in their battery cells at the moment, just different size. There's nothing to stop Tesla from updating the chemistry in any size battery.

Modern Benz interiors feel like wannabe Teslas to me - the W212 we have is so much more ergo-correct in certain key areas and the HMI doesn’t depend on learning a new OS just to change the unlock modes. The Model S/X IP and hmi has aged really well against the frippery the Germans are pushing right now, imo. Porsche is the exception there but it’s a buttonpocalypsesplosion in there, except Taycan, which, see above re ALL THE SCREENS FOR ALL THE THINGS but also still buttons and a wheel and touchpad? Wtf

Haha I appreciate the Tesla not having all the buttons like the Porsche which ruins the experience in my opinion. It’s one of the reasons I didn’t consider the cayenne. But I would gladly take the seats from it over the seats of the model x. I’m not looking for the plush interiors of a maybach Mercedes. But if you look at the interior of a Rolls Royce, you can see a luxury interior done very nicely in rather plain form. I know it’s not fair to compare the two and I won’t. I just think for $100k there could be some upgrades such as to the seats and some of the materials used.

Delivery for my 2021 Model X was scheduled for this afternoon. I unmatched from the VIN this morning. My sales advisor said I will not be matched to another Model X until March 2021.

Through this forum, I knew that Europe and Canada would not receive Model X deliveries until March 2021. This is the first I've heard of a United States order not being rematched to a VIN until March 2021.

Maybe Elon already put 4680 cells in 2021 S and X model. Just wait for holiday surprise next software update to unlock it.
Even efreshing rumours are truth ,no one regret that.

Delivery for my 2021 Model X was scheduled for this afternoon. I unmatched from the VIN this morning. My sales advisor said I will not be matched to another Model X until March 2021.

Through this forum, I knew that Europe and Canada would not receive Model X deliveries until March 2021. This is the first I've heard of a United States order not being rematched to a VIN until March 2021.

what's is unmatched ?

what's is unmatched ?

"Matched" is language used by Tesla employees when your order is assigned a VIN. "Unmatched" is used when the VIN is removed from your order. If you don't want the car or reject delivery, you are unmatched from that VIN.

Often times your order is placed on hold for a week or two before you can be rematched with another VIN. That way, you aren't mistakenly rematched with the same car.

In this case, my Sales Advisor said I won't be rematched to a Model X for 4 months, i.e. March 2021. It seems unusual.