Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Major 2021 Model X refresh pending [Update: Unveiled January 27, 2021]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have to admit taking delivery yesterday even though the car showed up very close to perfect was a pretty scary leap of faith. I’m about as far from an SUV person as you’ll find, SCCA competition license holder for coming up on 16 years, and a member since I could drive, have driven small sports sedans my whole life (and will continue to, when the occasion presents itself and the drive won’t just be commuting drudgery), but after 24 hours I’m completely smitten with this thing.

A lot of it is just the EV experience, which was honestly my primary reason to start shopping for something in the first place, but on top of being a good EV, it’s just such a weird, wonderful, do it all car. The view out is amazing. The kids have never thought a new car was cool like they think this one is, and it has lots of room for their friends. And in white with the silver wheels, its no more flashy than my neighbor’s Odyssey to the layperson. Until the doors open anyway heh

If what has happened to so many of my other favorite cars is any indication, it’s definitely about to be canceled. :p

Last edited:
I have to admit taking delivery yesterday even though the car showed up very close to perfect was a pretty scary leap of faith. I’m about as far from an SUV person as you’ll find, have driven small sports sedans my whole life (and will continue to, when the occasion presents itself and the drive won’t just be drudgery), but after 24 hours I’m completely smitten with this thing.

A lot of it is just the EV experience, which was honestly my primary reason to start shopping for something in the first place, but on top of being a good EV, it’s just such a weird, wonderful, do it all car. And in white with the silver wheels, no more flashy than my neighbor’s Odyssey to the layperson. Until the doors open anyway heh

If what has happened to so many of my other favorite cars is any indication, it’s definitely about to be canceled. :p

Glad to hear...what seating choice did you go with?

I have to admit taking delivery yesterday even though the car showed up very close to perfect was a pretty scary leap of faith. I’m about as far from an SUV person as you’ll find, SCCA competition license holder for coming up on 16 years, and a member since I could drive, have driven small sports sedans my whole life (and will continue to, when the occasion presents itself and the drive won’t just be commuting drudgery), but after 24 hours I’m completely smitten with this thing.

A lot of it is just the EV experience, which was honestly my primary reason to start shopping for something in the first place, but on top of being a good EV, it’s just such a weird, wonderful, do it all car. The view out is amazing. The kids have never thought a new car was cool like they think this one is, and it has lots of room for their friends. And in white with the silver wheels, its no more flashy than my neighbor’s Odyssey to the layperson. Until the doors open anyway heh

congrats! What configuration?

I fall into that category...while they may be nice to have for ease of entry/exit, they are a bit too flashy for me and probably aren't worth the extra costs it adds to the car (at least for me). Any idea on how much they add to the cost of the Model X? If significant, it would be nice if they offered them as an option.

Unfortunately the entire car is designed around the FWD so it would pretty much be impossible to eliminate them without redesigning the entire car. I know some of what it takes to engineer a new product (I'm an Electronic Engineer, but same basic process) and making an X without FWDs would be a massive redesign.

That’s how I felt prior to getting my X. And then I decided other advantages outweigh the flashy door issue. For the first year, I was extremely self conscious about the doors and avoided at all cost opening them in public. But now, 3 years in, I’m totally over that. I can count on one hand, with fingers left over, the times that anyone else even appeared to notice. People just aren’t as concerned with what I’m driving as I had thought.

There are enough X out there now the wow factor has diminished. I think the X is the most produced car with upward opening doors in automotive history. All the others were limited production.

I did hear from an X owner that waiting for the doors to cycle on the X was sometimes annoying. When he had a couple of bags of groceries he used to just toss them in the backseat, but it takes so long to open and close the FWD he just tosses the bags in the passenger footwell now.

As someone who wants things to keep working, I'm wary of any gizmo that's likely to break. I've been worried enough about the door handles on my S and the eventual failure of my MCU v1 (though Tesla just announced they are covering it with an extension to the warranty). The front windshield on the X is very expensive to replace if broken, and I've seen complaints about FWD reliability. It is something that will eventually break and when it does, it's going to be expensive.

I did hear from an X owner that waiting for the doors to cycle on the X was sometimes annoying. When he had a couple of bags of groceries he used to just toss them in the backseat, but it takes so long to open and close the FWD he just tosses the bags in the passenger footwell now.

I use the FOB to open the one closest to me as I am walking toward the car, toss the bags into the space between the seats (I have the six-seat configuration), hit "close" on the FWD and open on the driver door. FWD and driver door closed by the time I get in and buckle up. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I use the FOB to open the one closest to me as I am walking toward the car, toss the bags into the space between the seats (I have the six-seat configuration), hit "close" on the FWD and open on the driver door. FWD and driver door closed by the time I get in and buckle up. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I do similar with the hatch on my S when I have stuff to throw in the back.

Im waiting out for a refresh and I really really hope they concentrate on:

1) seat comfort
2) NOISE
3) WIND NOISE
4) ROAD NOISE
5) NOISE
6) bumpy ride. Please understand some of us in other states don't have pristine roads like California. We have serious potholes.

Thanks !

Just out of curiosity, when was the last time you took a test drive in a new one? My impression compared to my 2017 S is that it's pretty much dealt with all the points you made. The Raven suspension is much better than the previous air suspension, the seats were better and I didn't really think noise was bad at all. What year is yours?

Just out of curiosity, when was the last time you took a test drive in a new one? My impression compared to my 2017 S is that it's pretty much dealt with all the points you made. The Raven suspension is much better than the previous air suspension, the seats were better and I didn't really think noise was bad at all. What year is yours?
I wonder if Tesla will have another crack at ventilated seats

It appears like Tesla is now estimating up to 12 weeks for the Model 3 and Y (unless they accomplish delivery within 2 weeks before the end of 2020).

So, what seemed to be unique to the Model X (I won't be re-matched to a VIN until March 2021) is no longer any different.

Screen Shot 2020-12-09 at 10.16.10 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-12-09 at 10.15.50 AM.png

• Disagree
Reactions: tierneyalvin
It appears like Tesla is now estimating up to 12 weeks for the Model 3 and Y (unless they accomplish delivery within 2 weeks before the end of 2020).

So, what seemed to be unique to the Model X (I won't be re-matched to a VIN until March 2021) is no longer any different.

View attachment 615928 View attachment 615929

That is not the same. Also I checked Model Y under multiple locations in the Midwest and it is showing me 2-3 weeks. Regardless, the minimum range of 2 weeks is different from the Model X minimum time of 8 weeks.

Reactions: tierneyalvin
It seems no photos are being allowed for the time being.

Tesla has now officially closed this thread to prevent any leaking of information about the upcoming new year’s refresh.

Our apologies for the inconvenience.

I still don’t get it, why is any of this all that weird and speculative of “refresh”? I think if you poll folks, the delivery estimates are really just that and reality has been all over the place based on a plethora of factors. They’ve probably also learned that it’s a better “buyer experience” to under promise and over deliver for new buyers so that why it sometimes seems so far out. Might be factoring potential COVID impacts in to production now too, just to cover themselves again from delivering disapprove the if they miss the quarterly windows for particular regions.

I still don’t get it, why is any of this all that weird and speculative of “refresh”? I think if you poll folks, the delivery estimates are really just that and reality has been all over the place based on a plethora of factors. They’ve probably also learned that it’s a better “buyer experience” to under promise and over deliver for new buyers so that why it sometimes seems so far out. Might be factoring potential COVID impacts in to production now too, just to cover themselves again from delivering disapprove the if they miss the quarterly windows for particular regions.

I always thought the delivery timeline really didn't prove (or even hint) at a refresh, that all seemed normal Tesla timeline. With plaid coming out late next year I do expect they'd do a refresh on the S since they have to change the pack/structural elements anyways. No real reason they need to do this early in the year vs late though.

The statements from 'BigTeslaGuy' on reddit definitely made me hopeful for a Q1 refresh. I stalked him on reddit before his account was disabled to see everything he ever said and it seemed like he generally was correct in the past.

Also, with Lucid air coming out next year I would expect them to want to be more competitive on the S.

With that in mind, I got my VIN yesterday and told them I needed to wait until January+, so I'm really hoping this all comes true...

I still don’t get it, why is any of this all that weird and speculative of “refresh”?

You are correct that delivery dates by themselves mean nothing as it relates to a refresh. However, I have been using them to loosely corroborate other information.

Mostly, BigTeslaGuy on Reddit (a reliable leaker and jokingly referred to as a Tesla prophet on Reddit) stated that an interior and exterior refresh will occur in Q1 2021 for both Model S and X. That post, and his entire Reddit account, was removed. Another person recovered some of his post/comments using removeddit. See screenshot below.

Soon after, Model S and X prices increased in Europe with a delivery date no earlier than March 2021. To date, I've seen no official explanation for the price increase.

Next, an order in Canada was turned down due to a paint scratch. The sales advisor told that person the next deliveries would not be until March 2021. But, he also said that the car would be identical.

I was unmatched from my Model X VIN (I live in Atlanta) and was told I would not be matched again until March 2021.

By themselves, no piece of information means anything. Together, it may be circumstantial evidence of change.

I mean, no Tesla factory deliveries for the first 2 months of a year is not a winning business model for a publicly traded company, unless that creates higher demand for the following 10 months.

(That said, I don't understand why Model 3 and Y also have a 12 week delay to Atlanta. That cuts against my entire theory.)

Screen Shot 2020-12-09 at 12.18.48 PM.png

That is not the same. Also I checked Model Y under multiple locations in the Midwest and it is showing me 2-3 weeks. Regardless, the minimum range of 2 weeks is different from the Model X minimum time of 8 weeks.

Here in the Portland area:

Model S Long Range = 2-3 weeks
Model S Performance = 8-12 weeks
Model X Long Range = 8-12 weeks
Model X Performance = 8-12 weeks
Model 3 SR+ = 2-3 weeks
Model 3 LR = 2-3 weeks
Model 3 Performance = 2-3 weeks
Model Y LR = 2-3 weeks
Model Y Performance = 2-3 weeks

It's possible that they have limited options enough that they have some stock already built or under construction and those cars will be available in short order. Some cars are not in production at the moment and those have a lead time. I think the combined the S and X production into one production line, so only one car is in production at any time. They may be building Model Ss right now and aren't seeing many S Performance sales so they are only building them if they are ordered.

In another month or so we may see it flipped with a long lead time for Model Ss and a shorter lead time for Model Xs.

• Informative
Reactions: 5JMJ