Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Major 2021 Model X refresh pending [Update: Unveiled January 27, 2021]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
deferred mine, wil wait for r1t/r1s and a test drive of the X to determine. The new price for less range, worse driving expierence (i don't want to be fighting the car for Drive/reverse when it can't even decide to turn on the wipers on time), isn't moving in the right direcrtion.

yeah this was actually my biggest concern on the shifting. I ALWAYS back into the spot, the garage, parking lot, doesn't matter. Habit from the military when you have to get out of somewhere quick. How the hell is the car going to know I want to go in reverse and back into my garage if I come to a stop in the middle of the road in front of the garage? And, if it did know somehow, how would it know when I come to a stop in the middle of that same road if I want to go forwards instead of backwards?

And other things tied into similar situations - not only the parking issue.

Last edited:
deferred mine, wil wait for r1t/r1s and a test drive of the X to determine. The new price for less range, worse driving expierence (i don't want to be fighting the car for Drive/reverse when it can't even decide to turn on the wipers on time), isn't moving in the right direcrtion.

I went ahead and ordered my R1S .... so disappointed with where Tesla is going .... have an X on order but no intention of taking it at this point....

I really wanted the Model X 7 or 6 seater, but after the refresh and price increase I just don't feel like its worth the money.
My new plan is to get the Model Y 7 seater for the next 3-4 years, and when the new Model X comes with the 4680 battery pack, I'll take another look.
Actually I'm hoping that in 4 years, both VW and Tesla will have some minivans, which is what I really want. CyberSUV anyone?
I have a 9, 12 and 14 yr old so I think the Model Y will be good for a while.
Also, after 3 years, I'll have my mortgage paid off, which is $3,000 / month.

You're welcome to try to talk me back into a Model X . . . I feel like deep down I really want that Model X spaceship, but as usual, I'm being too practical. Ha ha.

Reactions: johnking and Cowby
I really wanted the Model X 7 or 6 seater, but after the refresh and price increase I just don't feel like its worth the money.
My new plan is to get the Model Y 7 seater for the next 3-4 years, and when the new Model X comes with the 4680 battery pack, I'll take another look.
Actually I'm hoping that in 4 years, both VW and Tesla will have some minivans, which is what I really want. CyberSUV anyone?

You're welcome to try to talk me back into a Model X . . . I feel like deep down I really want that Model X spaceship, but as usual, I'm being too practical. Ha ha.
We have 3 kids younger than yours and have tried both Y and X. We couldn’t see how the Y would work for anything but short trips. MX is much closer to minivan practicality

The ID Buzz will be our next non Tesla vehicle. I've been following the development of that amazing looking vehicle for over 4 years now.

• Funny
Reactions: Mr X and MP3Mike
Everyone here seems to assume NHTSA or whoever, will approve the yoke steering for the car. Put aside the “secret image” on the Tesla site, I think we may have a case of “no side view mirrors” like the Model X prototype - for those who remember. I don’t think Tesla will be allowed to use the yoke for S or X.

That said, I’d love to have it. My 2016 X P90D is getting a bit long in the tooth and I think the yoke is an interesting twist. Pun intended.

Reactions: DIL
I may have jumped the gun a bit since I was pretty pissed about the situation. But also I'm in Canada and the deposit is $2500 so I didn't want to just leave that money with Tesla considering I think it's highly unlikely they will change their stance. At best there are 5000 people in this situation and most probably won't raise a stink about it, so Tesla probably considers the upsides and downsides and is fine with a small group of us being pissed since the alternative is going to cost them tens of millions from their profits. Unless there was a legal case raised, which I don't think there will be, I don't see Tesla changing their stance here. There are reports that these are selling like hot cakes so they will still sell out even if some of us cancel. They don't see us cancelling as much of a loss.

$2500, had no idea. You show US as your location so thought it was only $100. US orders are $100 so figured why not leave it and see what happens. I have learned to never take any verbal or Tweet comment from Tesla as final.

So I too am frustrated with the only 2k discount, but as we desperately need a 3 row SUV and insist on being electric, here we are. Has any one else's online reservation been updated to reflect the new model yet? I told our SA the new options we wanted, but the website still shows our old reservation.

There is a youtube video of a guy with a young child trying out the model y 7 seater, and man, I feel like that back seat is really for the 7 and under crowd based on that video. I know my 10 year old likely would be a little tight back there for long road trips!

Reactions: cusetownusa
So I too am frustrated with the only 2k discount, but as we desperately need a 3 row SUV and insist on being electric, here we are. Has any one else's online reservation been updated to reflect the new model yet? I told our SA the new options we wanted, but the website still shows our old reservation.
site will be updated end of Feb to show all new reservations at the same time.

There are tons of 2020 Model X LR folks could buy. Yes, they’re used, but if you wanted the “old” X, buying used is a great way to get it and save a ton of money. I don’t really understand the issues voiced here.

Anyone who has followed Tesla knows they a) bring updates whenever they want to, of any magnitude, b) usually try not hurt customers, but can’t please everyone, c) are never correct with their date estimates for new models or revisions and d) never scaled their customer service team. Their CS today will never match what it was when I got my S in 2012, but that’s just what it is. They have no competition and they won’t anytime soon.

These are champagne problems, folks. You can afford an extra $8-10k if you’re buying a $90,000 car.

There are tons of 2020 Model X LR folks could buy. Yes, they’re used, but if you wanted the “old” X, buying used is a great way to get it and save a ton of money. I don’t really understand the issues voiced here.

Anyone who has followed Tesla knows they a) bring updates whenever they want to, of any magnitude, b) usually try not hurt customers, but can’t please everyone, c) are never correct with their date estimates for new models or revisions and d) never scaled their customer service team. Their CS today will never match what it was when I got my S in 2012, but that’s just what it is. They have no competition and they won’t anytime soon.

These are champagne problems, folks. You can afford an extra $8-10k if you’re buying a $90,000 car.

Even if people can afford the extra $10k that doesn't mean it's worth the money. People are right to complain when there's a price hike and no significant improvement in the product, regardless of how much money they have.

Also, the "no competition" thing will only be true for another year or two. Tesla better start to improve their soft product or they will start to lose significant market share. Stuff like this is not how you win loyal customers.

Understand what you are saying. A lot of people that recently took delivery of the new Model X's are congratulating themselves on pulling the trigger early. Saved $10,000 and do not need to stress about liking the new interior or not.

Some even got the Free Supercharging for life by ordering and taking delivery in late December.

Imagine when people begin to take delivery and post their delight in the new interior, that you might consider the Model X again. I call mine the magic carpet due to the air suspension with adaptive shocks.

Being practical can often keep you from getting some really cool stuff.

Even if people can afford the extra $10k that doesn't mean it's worth the money. People are right to complain when there's a price hike and no significant improvement in the product, regardless of how much money they have.

Also, the "no competition" thing will only be true for another year or two. Tesla better start to improve their soft product or they will start to lose significant market share. Stuff like this is not how you win loyal customers.

I get it, but Tesla has never been a “value” brand and has always been grossly overpriced compared to similar ICE cars, so that’s why I don’t really feel the complaints make sense.

As for competition, I don’t know about that. I don’t think R or GM will be able to produce comparable cars and we know Audi/VW group still struggles with range. It will be great to watch as, at the end of the day, we need more battery, or at least non-ICE, card.

• Funny
Reactions: Tiger
I get it, but Tesla has never been a “value” brand and has always been grossly overpriced compared to similar ICE cars, so that’s why I don’t really feel the complaints make sense.

Sure sounds as if you are lightly speculating how other people should be spending their money. Are you buying the refresh with a smaller battery? I decided, instead, to convert my money to a M3LR with boost. If stars align properly in 12 months, I'll take another look at Plaid+/Cybertruck etc.

Sure sounds as if you are lightly speculating how other people should be spending their money. Are you buying the refresh with a smaller battery? I decided, instead, to convert my money to a M3LR with boost. If stars align properly in 12 months, I'll take another look at Plaid+/Cybertruck etc.

I couldn’t care less how they spend they’re money. That’s the point. What I’ve no patience for is rich folks complaining they’re getting “hosed” by Tesla.

I bought my P90D X in March 2016. Sucks because in October 2016, they had 8 cameras. But whatever. I knew they’d update it but I got to enjoy it sooner.

So, after getting an early S and my early X, no, I won’t get the refresh. I will wait a year for the 4680 batteries to be available more broadly (or two years) as I’ve gone this long without 8 cameras, etc, but I really want range. Again, that’s what’s important to me and what I’d pay for. I have Netflix on zillions of devices and FSD isn’t coming soon, so as cool as the refresh looks to me (I love the yoke, etc), it seems like I should wait for range.

My point was simply, after a decade, the “I can’t believe Tesla would do [insert complaint]” rings hollow. They’ve been consistent.