Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Major 2021 Model X refresh pending [Update: Unveiled January 27, 2021]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don’t think they have any interest in providing a view like other car companies. Take blind spot detection, for example. The best place for that warning is in/on the side mirror - not the dash. Tesla doesn’t care and keeps “improving” it on the dash or screen.

They could provide a good enough birds eye, probably, I don’t think they care to.

I couldn’t care less how they spend they’re money. That’s the point. What I’ve no patience for is rich folks complaining they’re getting “hosed” by Tesla.

So, after getting an early S and my early X, no, I won’t get the refresh. I will wait a year for the 4680 batteries to be available more broadly (or two years) as I’ve gone this long without 8 cameras, etc, but I really want range. Again, that’s what’s important to me and what I’d pay for. I have Netflix on zillions of devices and FSD isn’t coming soon, so as cool as the refresh looks to me (I love the yoke, etc), it seems like I should wait for range.

My point was simply, after a decade, the “I can’t believe Tesla would do [insert complaint]” rings hollow. They’ve been consistent.

I wanted the 4680 too, badly, hoping for more range range range. But as it goes, Tesla in its massive scale-up in volume will be short on batteries for some time, so us long rangers will be living with updated battery chemistry/pack 18650's for the next few years I bet. So that was the one big thing I was holding out for as well, for this new model. I won't be cancelling my order and am looking forward to the quieter ride, the noise cancelling, the updated stereo, try the new yoke, and the rest of the new interior which I think is so simple and therefore luxurious without being tacky or overwrought. I'm assuming the lessor range will be adjusted upward thru software updates in the coming months, similar to before. We know this. And that is the rub. What other car can you get this?

There are a bunch of spoiled brats around these parts.

I wanted the 4680 too, badly, hoping for more range range range. But as it goes, Tesla in its massive scale-up in volume will be short on batteries for some time, so us long rangers will be living with updated battery chemistry/pack 18650's for the next few years I bet. So that was the one big thing I was holding out for as well, for this new model. I won't be cancelling my order and am looking forward to the quieter ride, the noise cancelling, the updated stereo, try the new yoke, and the rest of the new interior which I think is so simple and therefore luxurious without being tacky or overwrought. I'm assuming the lessor range will be adjusted upward thru software updates in the coming months, similar to before. We know this. And that is the rub. What other car can you get this?

There are a bunch of spoiled brats around these parts.

Totally agree except Tesla COULD provide the 4680s much earlier for other cars - like a year from now. They choose not to just like Apple chooses not have FaceID on all iphones, etc. Tesla purposely spreads out upgrades to create refresh cycles like Apple does. But that’s their right and they’re very successful at it!

Haha, I'm with you. Vote with your money and pay when accepting delivery.

Speaking for myself here, but I'm assuming this applies to others as well. In the past I was willing to accept these sort of things from Tesla because they were the only EV game in town. My number one priority in a vehicle is that it's an EV, and Tesla was the only company that could meet my needs with an EV.

But when it's time for me to buy a new vehicle two years from now, the market will be much different than it was in 2018. I will have a few more options to consider. Now I can look at competitors and think "hey, it would be nice if Tesla did that" - and when Tesla doesn't do that, I'm disappointed. So going forward I will be voting with my wallet. I hope Tesla earns that money, but with some of the stuff they've been doing the past year I'm not so sure anymore. It will be interesting to see what happens over these next few years.

Speaking for myself here, but I'm assuming this applies to others as well. In the past I was willing to accept these sort of things from Tesla because they were the only EV game in town. My number one priority in a vehicle is that it's an EV, and Tesla was the only company that could meet my needs with an EV.

But when it's time for me to buy a new vehicle two years from now, the market will be much different than it was in 2018. I will have a few more options to consider. Now I can look at competitors and think "hey, it would be nice if Tesla did that" - and when Tesla doesn't do that, I'm disappointed. So going forward I will be voting with my wallet. I hope Tesla earns that money, but with some of the stuff they've been doing the past year I'm not so sure anymore. It will be interesting to see what happens over these next few years.

Do you really think the choices in two years will be that much different? I just don't see it. I'd love to be wrong, but it seems like we're always waiting for some company to catch-up to Tesla fully. I hope you're right that more choices will really come!

Do you really think the choices in two years will be that much different? I just don't see it. I'd love to be wrong, but it seems like we're always waiting for some company to catch-up to Tesla fully. I hope you're right that more choices will really come!

Yes. Here are some higher end BEV SUVs coming out in the next few years: Rivian R1S, Bollinger B1, Hummer EV, Mercedes EQG, Porsche Macan EV, updated Audi e-tron. Of course those will have their pluses and minuses compared to the Model X, but I will certainly be looking into all of them (except the Hummer... yuck) when it's time to buy my next vehicle. It'll be nice to have some choice when shopping around.

Yes. Here are some higher end BEV SUVs coming out in the next few years: Rivian R1S, Bollinger B1, Hummer EV, Mercedes EQG, Porsche Macan EV, updated Audi e-tron. Of course those will have their pluses and minuses compared to the Model X, but I will certainly be looking into all of them (except the Hummer... yuck) when it's time to buy my next vehicle. It'll be nice to have some choice when shopping around.

I hear you, I just hope those are real competitors and production-ready. If so, awesome.

Reactions: DoctorVenkman