Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Major Model X Fail, Videos and Pictures

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I have finally had enough with Tesla's game of delay, delay, delay. My Model X was delivered last May and has been in service for more than 80 days since then. I spoke with Alberto Cortinas, some important guy at Tesla, who assured me I would be getting a replacement Model X, and that there was no need for me to make a lemon law claim. That conversation was over a month ago.

Since then, I only getting vague assurances that my request is moving up the ladder, or I get completely ignored. I am a Tesla shareholder and a huge fan of the company and Elon, but I have had enough. I paid $5000 to install a Tesla charger at my office, I reserved my MX a year before it was delivered, and I have always sang the praises of this company, but now I'm done.

If you are interested, every week I will be posting a new video and/or pictures on YouTube and Twitter; these videos and pictures are of all the many problems I have had with my Model X. Please feel free to use the videos anywhere; I am giving everyone free license to use them. I am so fed up with Tesla. About halfway through this video you get to hear awful whirring and grinding as the auto-present door motor fails.

I contacted BBB Autoline in my case.
If I am unhappy with their response, then I will be following the procedure they laid out in the contract, which I believe is arbitration first. I have a feeling they are going to try to say that they no longer offer free supercharging nor the 3 year buy back guarantee, so I don't get them. If they say that, then I'll definitely be moving forward with a lawsuit.

• Informative
Reactions: Fiddler
Jeez, you expect working doors on your $100K car.. how could you!

80 days out of service is a slam dunk for CA Lemon Laws, not sure about TN.

1. In California, a vehicle is presumed to be a “lemon" by the Song-Beverly Consumer Warranty Act if, within 18 months of the vehicle's delivery to the buyer (or 18,000 miles on the odometer):

2 attempts or more have been made by the manufacturer to repair a warranty problem that could result in death or serious injury.

The manufacturer has attempted to repair the same warranty problem at least 4 times.

The car has been out of service for 30 days or more for repair to warranty problems.

Problems to the vehicle are not the result of abuse by the owner.

I feel for you. I'm not at 80 days total, but am at 51 total and have a list of plenty more stuff I've been holding off for the 8th visit - about 8 additional issues, most fairly minor. I think my front doors have had 8 repairs so far (at least 6 anyway - from revision A through D of the parts). I'm well aware of the symptoms you showed. After all that, this past weekend I had a failure of some sort on each front door and also the left Falcon door (the Falcon door would not open, but then wouldn't close either after it opened only 1/8", and since it was stuck in between it was impossible for me to lock the car. I couldn't over-ride it on the touchscreen. Fortunately my valuables did not get stolen, as I didn't have any choice but to leave it unlocked all day). I triple clicked the fob to close everything and lock before dinner (and verified the lights flashed and such) and after an hour came out to my driver door wide open. It has started requiring 3 separate close commands before it slams shut - the first two go a couple inches and stop. The passenger door window also failed completely in the up position, so when I opened that door the window was all the way. When I closed the door, the window was on the outside of the chrome trim. The window switch was completely non functional on both passenger and driver sides (though it "fixed itself" later that morning somehow).

Regarding lemon law (in CA), if you are really, truly done and want a refund. Do you think it's better just to file the paperwork with arbitration, or call Tesla before you stick it in the mail and tell them it's stamped and ready to go?

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna