Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Major Safety Issue - Hoping a Tesla engineer watching the forums reads this!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since lights are a safety item, Tesla should have a separate switch, not thru a display, to override the auto. In a situation at night it would be kind of a panic mode to go thru a menu to force turn on. A standalone switch to force ON would be good to have.

Reactions: oktane
Curious if you had fog lights on and if so, did they too turn off?

Great question - Yes, fog lights were on, and they shut off along with the headlights. I think you can see it in the second video where I flip them on and off, and show the center console.

It's literally as if the car thinks it's light outside.

Can anyone confirm if there IS a discreet light sensor in AP2, or is it taking readings from the camera(s)?

Based on you description it appears this issue is unique to your car - I would guess it's a faulty switch.
Given the information that you provided and that Tesla is already looking into this I find title of this thread sensational and think you are striving for attention.

Today's 'light switches' are not actually connected to the lights. They are connected to the BCM, which can be a PCM subroutine or a discrete processor. When the BCM does not get the correct ohms/volts from the 'switch', it goes into fault mode. The BCM is what sends the signal to the relay, which in turn, supplies power to the lights.

This why your lights come on when you approach your car in the dark, and why they turn off X minutes after you leave, flash when the alarm goes off, etc.

3 possible codes kick in when the BCM side of the circuit faults in OBDII cars with full diagnostics:

B1470 Lamp Headlamp Input Circuit Failure - Out of range.
B1471 Lamp Headlamp Input Circuit Open
B1472 Lamp Headlamp Input Circuit Short To Ground

Since the car did not code, it either lacks BCM diagnostics, or it's not the 'switch'.

PS - It is possible that the high beam 'flash' method would not have worked either. If the BCM fault refuses to close the relay, pulling the stalk would do nothing, it's not hooked to the lights. I would guess it WOULD work, but it really depends on why the BCM turned off the relay.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: nasell and Max*
As a stockholder and a Model S owner who has never experienced this problem, I thank you for reporting this serious issue.

Also, I'm sorry if someone else wrote this already, I didn't have a chance to tread the entire thread yet, but if this were to unfortunately happen again, I would think pulling on the turn signal stalk would at least turn the brights on--as the "flash-to-pass" functionality does not depend on the headlights being on. Certainly, not ideal-- but a heck of a lot better than no lights at all and having to fiddle with the touchscreen at highway speeds. This would allow you to safely pull over before messing with the touchscreen.

I suppose even reaching up and depressing the interior light button/s would help if it illuminated the interior cabin and got you seen. Decelerating if you have regen on should activate your brake lights right? and give you visibilty until you can pull off to the side. And what about warning flashers? Probably the best choice.

What occurred with my S today may or may not be related. I was out running errands, at my last stop I was parked in parking garage, when I left to return home, noticed lights were on , normal when in a parking garage. Then after I departed the garage, t noticed they were still on, also noticed that display did not show and lane markings or vehicles ! Then I tried cruise control, msg appeared ** no cruise control available ?? I stopped in a parking lot and did reboot and same result.

I contacted Tesla SC and they requested logs from car and would get back to me. Received email this evening informing me that they sent info to Tesla engineer and hopefully will be able to resolve the problem soon ??

My S also a Dec 2016 build

Photo of the screen attached

Attachments

• IMG_0977.jpg
    IMG_0977.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 75
What occurred with my S today may or may not be related. I was out running errands, at my last stop I was parked in parking garage, when I left to return home, noticed lights were on , normal when in a parking garage. Then after I departed the garage, t noticed they were still on, also noticed that display did not show and lane markings or vehicles ! Then I tried cruise control, msg appeared ** no cruise control available ?? I stopped in a parking lot and did reboot and same result.

I contacted Tesla SC and they requested logs from car and would get back to me. Received email this evening informing me that they sent info to Tesla engineer and hopefully will be able to resolve the problem soon ??

That's interesting - You kind of elude to it, but by your picture, I see slivers of sunlight; so I'm assuming you were in bright daylight, and expected the headlights to turn off...

I've seen it take some time for lanes to show up occasionally, but I don't think I recall ever missing all "road features" like cars, etc. at the same time.

Just as a follow-up to my issue: I asked the SC to confirm whether or not there is actually a light sensor, or if AP2 cars are all driven by camera inputs. I'm not sure if I noted here previously, but I did to them - if it's all camera driven, as it's been tossed around here, AutoPilot was engaged when the lights went off (and at least one time previously when they went off). So I know the cameras were working before, during, and after the event, because AP continued to operate.

Just an interesting datapoint that eliminates any "loose connection" ideas, or sensor malfunctions, if that is the case that it's all camera driven.

if ur wife's commute is just 40-50 miles a day (similar to my commute) - you don't necessarily need anything fancy. In fact, I just have a Nema 14-30 dryer outlet which in 8 hrs gets me 8 x 17mi/hr = 136 miles range. More than enough. If i plug it in after work at say 7pm, I can get 18 x 12 hrs (to 7am) = 216 miles range. I was thinking about a Nema 14-50 but have decided to hold off. If I do get a second tesla someday, I plan to do a room addition and have them build a 14-50. But a 14-30 does the job for a small commute

Talked with SC today, let them know that S returned to normal this am ?? They were told by Tesla that it is a known issue and they are working on a fix !!!