Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Making friends at a Tesla Supercharger....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We received our Tesla in May 2014. On my first couple of road trips, we would rarely encounter another Teslan Supercharging. But when we did, we had pleasant conversations not only about our cars but also about ourselves. Fellow owners would flash their lights and/or wave if we encountered them on the road.

There just were not that many Teslas out there two-three years ago.

Now, it seems (at least in California) that Teslas are as popular as VW Beetles were in the '60s. I live in Fresno, and I see at least 2-3 per day when I am out and about.

Today, most owners just keep to themselves. I might get a wave or a nod if I initiate one. I think the early owners felt like part of a club. But not so much the later owners. Just my two cents.

Reactions: trils0n and oktane
I thought I'd love supercharging since I imagined many like-minded car and technology enthusiasts would be excited to talk Tesla or tech or simply be polite.

What I found out is most people at SC have no interest whatsoever in socializing and would rather sleep or look miserable in their car rather than even wave or say hello.

Many Tesla owners simply suck as human beings and I'm not sure why. I avoid supercharging like the plague now.

I'm pretty anti-social... and I use a lot of superchargers... and I find it about a 50/50 shot with people who want to chat, and those who just keep to themselves. Sometimes I'm alone and have spare time to chat, other times I'm in a hurry and just want to catch up on email... so really, it's a toss up. No reason to avoid supercharging just because people may or may not want to talk to you.

I'm pretty anti-social... and I use a lot of superchargers... and I find it about a 50/50 shot with people who want to chat, and those who just keep to themselves. Sometimes I'm alone and have spare time to chat, other times I'm in a hurry and just want to catch up on email... so really, it's a toss up. No reason to avoid supercharging just because people may or may not want to talk to you.
Agreed. Sometimes folks are chatty and sometimes not, but you're mainly going to an SC to charge your car rather than engaging in social interaction. If it happens, fine, if not it's no big deal. About eighty percent of the time there's no one to chat with anyway.

My wife and I recently took our first extended trip from New Jersey to Wisconsin. At a supercharger in Illinois we pulled in with 5 of the 8 stalls empty, plugged in and headed to a nearby place for a bite to eat. Food took a while but we finished and returned to the car with about 97% charge. There was a note on the windshield that said "It was very rude of you to plug in and leave your car unattended. Go back to New Jersey"

So my question is, am I missing something here? Why would someone say that? Isn't the purpose of the Supercharger stations to have a place to eat or shop or relax while waiting for a charge? What is the proper etiquette when traveling and charging? Who was the rude one here?
That's outrageous! There is absolutely nothing wrong with going off to eat while your car is charging, in fact that's what makes charging bearable on a long trip.

I thought I'd love supercharging since I imagined many like-minded car and technology enthusiasts would be excited to talk Tesla or tech or simply be polite.

What I found out is most people at SC have no interest whatsoever in socializing and would rather sleep or look miserable in their car rather than even wave or say hello.

Many Tesla owners simply suck as human beings and I'm not sure why. I avoid supercharging like the plague now.
Is there anything you like about owning a Tesla? I'm sure your I-Pace supercharger buddies will love talking to you. I would talk to you at a supercharger, but I'm sure I would live to regret it.

• Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H and gr2020
Is there anything you like about owning a Tesla? I'm sure your I-Pace supercharger buddies will love talking to you. I would talk to you at a supercharger, but I'm sure I would live to regret it.

There are a few things I like about my Tesla:

1. I don't have to go to the gas station 2 times per week.
2. Instant torque to really zip around cars when needed.
3. "Free" gas from my oversized solar array.
4. Remotely set A/C to pre-cool/heat the car before I return to it.

My interactions have been uniformly positive at SC stops. Some people are busy or preoccupied. Read their body language and ignore them or say "Hello!" and see what happens. Compliment their car.

The only negative interaction happen when I pulled up next to a brand new P90D owner getting out of his car at the grocery store who ignored my wife and me with a scowl when we said Hello. My wife remarked that he must be having a very bad day to me. We felt sorry for him and went about our business.

My interactions have been uniformly positive at SC stops. Some people are busy or preoccupied. Read their body language and ignore them or say "Hello!" and see what happens. Compliment their car.

The only negative interaction happen when I pulled up next to a brand new P90D owner getting out of his car at the grocery store who ignored my wife and me with a scowl when we said Hello. My wife remarked that he must be having a very bad day to me. We felt sorry for him and went about our business.

Sounds like you have a positive outlook on life. It annoys me when people don't make eye contact or are rude in person. It annoys me even more when the rude person is a Tesla owner, who I assume is an otherwise successful and well educated person, which makes the rudeness even more of an insult to me.

For about the first year after I got my Model S (delivery in March 2013) it seemed like everyone at the Supercharger was a huge Tesla fan/early adopter and eager to say hi and talk Tesla. Lots of positive experiences with great people back then.

Totally different story now-a-days. Lotsa rich jerks/rude folk, and now that the early adopter phase is ending, people who just got a car, and aren't really interested in the community. But mostly people just try to avoid eye contact and tap on their phone.

I'm a new Tesla owner and have been to a supercharger twice. Only one of those times was there another Tesla. Personally I'm very excited for the chance to get to speak to other Tesla owners in person, but I understand there are some who won't want to talk. I'm a pretty introverted person myself.

I think the attitude and interaction of Tesla owners at the superchargers is going to have a dramatic change again with the Model 3. You are going to have so many people who were/are passionate about Tesla, EVs, the environment, who didn't have access to this "level" of a fully electric car before. I think a majority of them will be excited about their new car and will want to share their experiences and learn from other Tesla owners. I think its going to "re-energize" the supercharger interactions. ;)

I think the attitude and interaction of Tesla owners at the superchargers is going to have a dramatic change again with the Model 3. You are going to have so many people who were/are passionate about Tesla, EVs, the environment, who didn't have access to this "level" of a fully electric car before. I think a majority of them will be excited about their new car and will want to share their experiences and learn from other Tesla owners. I think its going to "re-energize" the supercharger interactions. ;)

Agreed! Except trying to explain the SC pairing issue is going to get even harder, unless Tesla fixes it with placing the stall pair numbers larger and higher up on the pedestals, and/or implements any kind of status indicator, be it on the stalls themselves (green/yellow/red lights) or in-car on the touchscreen. I've said many times that Tesla should just dispense with the 1A, 2B numbering scheme, and just use colors. So if you pull into a supercharger, try to find an unoccupied color pair and use one of those.

Reactions: boelkers
We like to talk to other owners, and have made some nice acquaintances at the Superchargers. If someone looks like they don't want to engage, we don't, of course, force the issue. I agree with boelkers that when the 3s start coming out, that there will be a whole new wave of "enthusiasts" out there who will want to chat, get information about tripping, etc.

It annoys me when people don't make eye contact or are rude in person.
Oh, really? You're equating not making eye contact as being rude? This bothers me in our society, where extroverts don't understand shy or introverted people, and so they think they are rude or suspicious. It's kind of narrow minded.

I've said many times that Tesla should just dispense with the 1A, 2B numbering scheme, and just use colors.
That suggestion has been made many times before, and many times people have to give the reminder that this would epically suck for color blind people.

Reactions: GHammer
That suggestion has been made many times before, and many times people have to give the reminder that this would epically suck for color blind people.

Or, as I also suggested in the same post:

Tesla fixes it with placing the stall pair numbers larger and higher up on the pedestals,

My point being, get rid of the A/B thing, and make the stalls easily identifiable as a pair.

But that does still have important value to be able to identify each stall for when people call Tesla to report that a stall has been vandalized or has a broken cable or something.

Sure, you can have the small labels at the bottom to id an individual stall. Or have a separate "Stall ID#" printed next to the phone number, but not labeling the stall as such. Also, reporting a fault is really the exception and really doesn't happen that often.

But there is still A LOT of confusion over 1,2 and A/B for people. A couple of years ago, I met a guy at a SC who was adamant that the stalls are set up on two banks -- the A bank and B bank.. and each bank had four shared stalls, 1-4.. so if someone was already on the "A" bank, go to any of the "B" bank stalls -- the exact OPPOSITE of what is really is.. I could not convince him otherwise.

Ok, let me try again (for the last time): There are several different, alternative, and better labeling options than the existing method currently used. Any one of them would be an improvement. Pick whichever one makes you happiest.

Reactions: jerry33