Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Map discrepancies on main GUI vs dash

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've noticed while driving around my neighborhood there are roads that show up on the google maps view on the main screen but they don't show up on the dash during navigation. Are they pulling the dash map info from a different source?

Yes - the center map is live google over the cellular connection. The dash map is built in garmin (updated occasionally, very occasionally). This allows the navigation to work when there is no cellular coverage.

Good decision or not, that's up for argument.

Thanks for the info. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me to pay Google and Garmin but that was their decision.

Does the navigation route come from Garmin and is overlayed onto the Google maps? That would explain a lot of the route choices I get vs what Google/Waze normally give me.

The navigation route is from the Navigon ( Navteq ) maps and then plotted onto the Google maps. The Navteq maps are about a year out of date on our vehicles. Also if the camera did not read a speed limit sign, the fallback is the data from the Navteq maps. That is why sometimes the shown speed limit does not match the current speed limit.

That makes sense. I guess that means the traffic data from Google isn't used as well. Crossing my fingers for an eventual Waze integration.

I have HW2 so my cameras don't read the speed limit signs. yet.

The navigation maps from Garmin/Navigon are supposed to be updated annually, though it appears it's been over 15 months since our car has seen the last update. That navigation maps are used to determine routing - and are displayed on the dashboard while a route is active.

The console display uses Google maps, which are updated almost immediately (when driving new roads, they show up very quickly on the Google maps, even though it could take a year or two before they show up on the navigation maps). Google provides the satellite maps and the real-time traffic data.

Tesla is developing a 3rd map database using high definition data captured from the fleet of AP cars - that data will likely help Tesla determine specific lane locations - something neither the Navigon or Google maps (currently) provide. It's unclear how Tesla will integrate this data into the navigation/autopilot systems, or how they'll reconcile the inevitable differences between the 3 map databases, when new roads are added or there are changes (permanent or temporary) to existing roads.

How can I determine the date of the maps in my car?

I have not seen a "map updated" message since late 2015. During the last service appointment, I asked for the maps to be updated to the most recent maps - and I was told by the Service Center our car already had the latest maps (which don't have the new roads in our area).

The Service Center can check - though they may not give you a date or map version number.

• Informative
Reactions: Boatguy