Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Market politics

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We must have a different definition of progress if that's what you consider Kim's bamboozling of Trump to be.
NK went from firing ICB missiles toward Japan on a regular basis, to no missiles fired since the summit. Plus they returned all prisoners. No money given and no concessions yet. The sanctions remain intact. If this is not progress, then what would you consider to be progress and why have not other politicians been able to achieve these things before?
Trump isn't smart enough and has no experience to sort anything out. One of the many issues he's chosen to focus on may actually have a positive result in spite of his bumbling. It could have been handled much better without all the financial damage done in the meantime even if it turns out well in the end. If you want to call that a "win" for Trump be my guest, you don't have much else to celebrate.
This is Trump Derangement Syndrome. Cannot give any credit where it is due. It’s almost as if a Trump failure is wanted more than a win for the country.

Unless something concrete happens there is no actual difference.

What do you think the citizens of South Korea are thinking right now? Stop the US-Centric thinking for a second. I'm sure they're happy not living under a nuclear cloud.

It was just two administrations ago when the US was advocating for a preemptive strike on NK to force regime change.

• Funny
Reactions: neroden
NK went from firing ICB missiles toward Japan on a regular basis, to no missiles fired since the summit. Plus they returned all prisoners. No money given and no concessions yet. The sanctions remain intact. If this is not progress, then what would you consider to be progress and why have not other politicians been able to achieve these things before?

This is Trump Derangement Syndrome. Cannot give any credit where it is due. It’s almost as if a Trump failure is wanted more than a win for the country.
Lest just skip the fact that they accidentally blew up their main missile facility.

Plus they returned all prisoners.

I guess you mean the American prisoners? Because there are still plenty of prisoners being held.
Reality Check: North Korea's secretive prison system
The TDS is those who think he's actually competent. If he somehow bumbles into a good result in some particular situation, great, but it's certainly not because he knows what he's doing or goes about it in the right way. Maybe an irrational lunatic was the right person to deal with Kim, doesn't mean he's got the right anwer for every situation.

Great!

As for the second question, that has already been explained.

We Can Pay For A Green New Deal | HuffPost

And then there's health care spending:

The US currently spends more per capita on health care than any other country in the world, and gets less for it than any developed country. Basically we replace the exorbitant premiums we are currently paying to health insurance companeis with somewhat lower taxes, and we have universal health care -- pretty easy really. (The cost savings are from removing insurance company paper-pushers, removing hospital paper-pushers, removing doctor's office paper-pushers, controlling prescription drug price gouging because a single payer can just say "No, you take what we offer you or you get nothing", controlling hospital price gouging the same way.)

I pay $5000 a year for garbage insurance which covers nothing, and it's the best available on the individual market where I live. For the same amount in taxes, I'm sure the state could provide a plan equivalent to Medicaid -- and I'd pay twice that for a plan as good as Medicaid.

There would be a lot of paper-pushers, employed to deny health care to people or push inappropriate health care on people or fight other paper-pushers, who would have to find productive jobs. I'm OK with that.

The US health care system has another disadvantage, that it is tied to a person's job (unless you are unlucky to not have one, but then you are screwed anyway).

This greatly reduces the job market mobility for people who have jobs with good medical coverage - if they change jobs, they will need to find one with similar coverage, which is non-trivial.

The US health care system has another disadvantage, that it is tied to a person's job (unless you are unlucky to not have one, but then you are screwed anyway).

This greatly reduces the job market mobility for people who have jobs with good medical coverage - if they change jobs, they will need to find one with similar coverage, which is non-trivial.

Blame FDR for that one. Unintended consequences.

How did we end up with health insurance being tied to our jobs?

I am waiting hear the explanation defraying any credit to Trump, once the trade deals fall into place. Especially the China deal. They will probably say that it was completed in spite of Trump despite the trade with China not even being a central issue before he came along. The deals will especially be beneficial to Tesla, which will not be by accident either.

I'll give him credit if he pulls this off with China. I mean really pulls it off, not just go back to way it was and then declare victory.

But he does not get a pass for his history from me. He has been a fraudster - especially tax fraud - his entire life. He appeals to the worst in people. He is a divider. He is a narcissistic braggart who routinely lies. He seems OK with continued wanton environmental destruction, and is giving the green light to any entity that wants to gut the earth for some quick cash. And if you believe - really believe - in the rule of law, then he has engaged in multiple criminal activities and should be punished.

If you believe that might makes right...I guess he is your guy and you can overlook all that other stuff, especially if he delivers as you say.

Do not think this means I have some kind of special love for the politicians that came before him or that are around him now. I have no use for any of them.

I give him credit for actually wanting to pull out of Syria, instead of droning on about how we have no choice but to continue to pour more troops into the ME forever, which pretty much seems to be everyone else's opinion in Washington.

There has always been someone in Trump's life that is ripping him off. I'm old enough to remember his rants about Japan. There is ALWAYS an excuse.

These people (believers) need someone to believe in. This will not change until they are personally affected by the incompetence they endorse. There is no amount of explaining that will demonstrate the obvious. As for results, even a blind chicken will find a kernel of corn from time to time. Given past performance, I'm in the manufacture a crisis then take credit for fixing it when you stop your nonsense camp. His "humanitarian crisis" crap from last night is but another example. He has made it perfectly clear he could care less about people with darker skin but the other side's humanitarian crisis talk was gaining traction so why not co-opt it? Your followers are incapable of understanding that you are shutting down the government to get taxpayers to pay for the wall Mexico was going to pay for so they obviously are incapable of seeing that you just took the other's side and made it your own because it was working better than your previous BS.

end of rant.... I just needed to get that off my chest.

Oddly, from a financial standpoint, Democrats are staking out the high ground on finances, what used to be the purview of a conservative party.
You say that like the Democrats aren't a conservative party.

(The Republicans are a radical party now, and there's a radical wing that is partially in the Democratic Party, partially to the left of them, that the DNC apparatus is trying to get rid of.)

What's going on with North Korea is probably more complicated than it looks on first blush. Richard Engel of NBC news had a special on MSNBC last March examining the link between Russia and North Korea's missile program. Some retired intelligence analysts have been looking at the capabilities of the NK missiles tested and came to the conclusion they were virtually identical to Russian missiles to such an extent they concluded the Russians gave NK entire missiles and the North Koreans did some cosmetic things to cover the origin.

They also concluded that Putin had stopped giving NK missiles which is why they aren't testing any right now.

NK does appear to have developed their own nuclear weapons, but the facility where they tested them had some sort of mishap that destroyed the facility setting their program back a couple of years.

What NK is doing is building new facilities while talking nice with the US and SK. Trump has done nothing to help. What looks like progress is Trump's puppet master pulling strings on missile availability and a mishap of North Korea's own making that stopped their nuclear program. A combination of luck and a strong ally on Trump's part.

As far as stopping intellectual property stealing by China. I don't think anyone is going to be able to curb that. At the more valuable end of the spectrum (industrial tech and science), the IP theft is a core government program. At the lower end (copying movies, TV, computer software, etc.) it's crumbs the government throws to the little guys and it helps cover up the government program.

I hope Tesla does not plan to make their most advanced Li-ion cell chemistry in China. I strongly suspect China gave Tesla such a sweet deal to set up a factory there so they can mine Tesla's secrets. It would be adequate for the China market to use older Li-ion cell chemistries in cars made there and would protect their best chemistry to some extent. Especially if they have come up with some sort of special manufacturing process that's different from older cells.

I am glad at least someone here will be able to hand out some credit where credit is due. But remember, all the status quo politicians (Dem and Rep) were asleep at the wheel regarding trade. Trump was the one that was smart enough to put a finger on the trade issues and has the experience to sort them out. So even the defrayed credit, saying the trade deals would have eventual been worked out anyways, is a bunch of bologna. Perhaps eventually trade would have been an issue (who knows when), but lifetime politicians do not have the business acumen to use/create leverage to negotiate a fair deal, much less bring China or the EU to the table. The lifetime politicians were the ones to create the mess in the first place.

Let's try this another way. Aside from North Korean denuclearization (since this story isn't finished considering possible NK self-inflicted wounds), what has Trump claimed victory on that truly was a victory?

- Saving coal mining jobs (although he got that by neutering the EPA) isn't actually a positive for us.
- reducing the corporate income tax isn't a positive either (my taxes went up to compensate).
- what else?

It could have been handled much better without all the financial damage done
Exactly!, just like it was handled in the past, uh...wait a minute...?
I get a laugh out of all the people here with their armchair politics and "how easily it could be done" and "If it were me" truth is that no one here has a clue how they would do things because nothing goes quite as easily as it does in their head.

Last edited:
Let's try this another way. Aside from North Korean denuclearization (since this story isn't finished considering possible NK self-inflicted wounds), what has Trump claimed victory on that truly was a victory?

- Saving coal mining jobs (although he got that by neutering the EPA) isn't actually a positive for us.
The coal mining jobs went away anyway, BTW
- reducing the corporate income tax isn't a positive either (my taxes went up to compensate).
- what else?

Democrats are doing bad job negotiating. President holds the narrative every-single-time.

For example - Democrats should be highlighting how difficult shutdown has been to the workers. How people are forced to work with no pay. How it endengers our security and may cause deaths and leaves people untreated.
That's exactly what they're doing -- have you been reading the news or watching it or anything?

We debate non-simplistic elements of human behavior adnausium yet we reject doing the most basic elements to succeed.
Yes, like a National Popular Vote. Or approval voting. The most basic elements of democracy.

Electoral College or not, if 80% of the electorate wants purple buildings, they get purple buildings. Full stop. The vote works.
That's what I would call "complete fantasy thinking". Next, you'll tell me that the vote works in Putin's Russia and in China, too. Or in apartheid South Africa. Or in the Jim Crow south before the Civil Rights Movement.

Suuuuuure.

For voting to work, you need a system where everyone can vote, and where the person, or legislation, which is most popular actually wins.

Status
Not open for further replies.